Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 GPS Mount
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaydon
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/10/2016 :  17:20:48  Show Profile
Good evening. Here's hoping all of you in the northeast are enjoying this weather.
Anyway, here's my question for tonight.
I am putting a Garmin GPS on Wind Dancer. I'm trying to figure the best place. I have thought of a board in the companionway slots. Easy to do, but my question is, won't it be difficult to see from the helm and won't it be hard with the sun.
I'd love to figure a way to get it closer.
I know there are many of you out there who have installed GPS in the Cat25 and was wondering how everyone has done it.
I've also been looking at the flexible 'RAM' mounts. They look like a possibility.
Thanks for any and all suggestions
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2016 :  17:35:51  Show Profile
I like a Ram swing mount. I installed one just inside the companionway of my Cal 25 last year. From there, it was easy to run the wires to it. It swings into the open companionway when in use, and swings aside to allow unrestricted passage into the boat. At the end of the day, I don't have to disconnect it to stow it inside the boat.

My other boat has wheel steering, and the chartplotter is mounted on the steering pedestal. I bought two wiring harnesses and use the same chartplotter for both boats.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2016 :  18:31:40  Show Profile
I used a flat screen TV mount in the same fashion. It worked well, but seemed to always be in the way. I bit the bullet and cut a hole in the bulkhead. Actually modified an old hole. I am much happier with the new setup and don't have any major issues seeing it in the sun. Just a thought.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2016 :  19:00:23  Show Profile
Like Steve I use a Ram mount For my Garmin plotter. Swings in or out and rotates side to side. I haven't had any issues with cabin access.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  05:15:10  Show Profile
Steve & Scott,
Well, it looks like i'll try the RAM mount.
Do either of you have the part numbers you used?
I'm going through the GPS City website and there are a thousand different parts. I'd like to get the right stuff first time out.
Thanks
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  05:41:30  Show Profile
This is the one that I used. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/ram-mounts--swing-mount--319154?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Shopping_PLAs-_-319154&adpos=1o3&creative=59544501724&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA9om3BRDpzvihsdGnhTwSJAAkSewLnEYHe0g3M85U7nLU8lG1tQkOJ0QeexumywBwz9sqixoCLI_w_wcB

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  05:48:34  Show Profile
Not bad. Is the length enough?
How did you attach to the bulkhead? Just screwed in? Or, maybe a a wood panel to scew to?
Here is one I just found:
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-swivel-screw-down-mount-ram-101-g2u.html

Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  05:55:29  Show Profile
Jay the one I have is Ram-109VU It looks like the one Steve showed you. It was around $70 and is extremely well built. I think this is it.http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-109VU Its screwed to the teak trim on the inside of the companion way. I don't know if the one you found will be able to swing inside or not(dimensions). The one I have swings in and flat against the interior wall.

Edited by - islander on 03/11/2016 06:44:29
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  08:11:29  Show Profile
Jay: The one you found would be nice for very flexible positioning of a GPS, but I think not so much for easily swinging it from inside the cabin into the companionway (and back). For that, I'd go with Steve's and Scott's choice.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  09:11:36  Show Profile
Amazon... @$58

Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  11:28:50  Show Profile
The most critical use of my handheld Garmin GPSMAP 78SC is navigating while sailing singlehanded at night in windy conditions and unfamiliar locations on the Chesapeake Bay. Following the charted markers and avoiding the numerous muddy shoals is critical for me then. So I have added a mounting bracket to the center of the tiller, so that I can see the screen while sailing single-handed at night. Under those conditions I also hang a little LED flashlight around my neck with a red plastic cellophane filter to avoid having to press the light switch on the GPS repeatedly.

Thus, in the pitch dark I can handle the main and jib sheets and steer while navigating very safely without moving from my comfy padded seat at the helm.

I realize most C25 sailors don't need such extreme measures, but on a few occasions, this setup has given me the confidence to sail on, instead of dropping sail and motoring slowly to my destination! I really enjoy such challenges.

The GPS unit in the companionway might not be used as safely under those conditions, but I realize that each of you has your own venue and range of conditions in which you go sailing. A safer situation, for example, is to have one of the crew take the helm while the skipper navigates, and then the companionway location for the GPS would be preferable.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  12:38:17  Show Profile
You could have a point but every devise has it Achilles heel. I don't care for battery operated devices that can become critical. Seems the battery dies at the worst moment. Small cell phone size screens are well.. small. My Garmin has a 5" high resolution screen that I can see from anywhere in the cockpit and if trying to navigate a small channel or unfamiliar areas just hit the zoom. Throw in low water alarms, Arial views,3D view,Time of arrival,Speed over ground, Trip log or my favorite Total miles traveled. You can set the chart to show more or less detail plus some other functions I haven't even explored yet. Plus I don't think I will ever drop it overboard or forget to charge it or leave it home. I guess you can tell I just like a fixed mount GPS/Plotter.

This was our best 6 month season. 1136 nautical miles traveled.

Edited by - islander on 03/11/2016 12:58:46
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  16:05:16  Show Profile
Hi all,
Not sure what unit you have there. I just picked up a Garmin 541.
One question about the RAM mount; looks great except the mount base is horizontal and the bulkhead is vert.
Do you use an 'angle iron' or...?
Love to know how it mounts inside the companionway.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  16:43:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jaydon

Hi all,
Not sure what unit you have there. I just picked up a Garmin 541.
One question about the RAM mount; looks great except the mount base is horizontal and the bulkhead is vert.
Do you use an 'angle iron' or...?
Love to know how it mounts inside the companionway.
Jay

Mine is also a Garmin 541. It does everything I need. I mounted mine the same way as Scott - screwed it to the teak trim inside the companion way. Wish I could provide a photo, but my boat is still under it's winter cover.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  16:53:23  Show Profile
Mine is an older 545 but essentially the same as the 541. These photos (Not mine) may explain how the mount is mounted. In these photos the mount is mounted farther outboard than mine is. Mine is mounted to the teak companion way trim. Mounting it to the trim made it so I didn't have to drill any new holes in the fiberglass. I was able to use one of the screws that was already holding the trim on so I only had to make one other screw hole. It also moved the mount farther towards the doorway so I could mount the GPS in the middle of the mounting plate. I also didn't need a plate mounted to the fiberglass wall to level it up with the teak trim. I also have mine on the otherside of the companion way but thats your choosing.

Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  17:19:03  Show Profile
These are all great, but have to find that style mount. The one on amazon only mounts horizontal.
OK, found it.
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-109VU
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  18:03:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jaydon

These are all great, but have to find that style mount. The one on amazon only mounts horizontal.
OK, found it.
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-109VU
Jay

No. Amazon has the same one for $58.00, and free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-Single-Vertical-System/dp/B0007X1K72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457744362&sr=8-1&keywords=Ram-109VU

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2016 :  18:35:11  Show Profile
Steve has the link, Look to the right for the guy who has it for $58. You will need this model for the size of the 541. Same size as my 545.

Edited by - islander on 03/11/2016 18:38:58
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2016 :  12:52:58  Show Profile
OK, I see it.
Thanks all.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2016 :  13:52:20  Show Profile
I mounted my Garmin with the base on the side of the steps. I used RAM mounts to get the desired height and it swings out like the earlier picture and swings back in when I close the boat.

Capt Sam, USCG Master Near Coastal
Isle of Hope, GA. Charleston,SC. Lake Murray, SC.
Aboard Bobbin - 1982 Standard Rig-Swing Keel #2963 Dinette Model
"On a powerboat you are going somewhere....On a Sailboat you are Already There!" Capt Sam

http://my.boatus.com//memberPhotos/6315398_1_25502.jpg
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2016 :  11:20:38  Show Profile
Hi all,
Got the 109 model. For those who mount to the trim with screws, it looks like (if memory serves me) that I will only be able to use two screws. Is this what you do?
I know it's pretty light, but...?
Since I have nothing on the port side of the companionway, I was going to thru-bolt it. Probably overkill.
Anyone know the bhd thickness in that area?
Thanks
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2016 :  11:52:22  Show Profile
I used 2 screws mounted to the teak trim. Mounting to the trim allows the arm to swing out into the cockpit. If you mounted it to the side of the trim on the fiberglass the arm will swing and hit the teak trim and be further back into the cabin. I used one of the existing screws that hold the trim on so I only had to drill 1hole for the second screw. I suggest you mount the chartplotter to the mount then position it that way in the companionway to get it where you want it. Your chartplotter is the same size as mine and is as wide as the mounting plate on the mount. You will find out that you have to mount it to the teak trim for the chartplotter to clear the companionway and not have the screen half hidden.

Edited by - islander on 05/08/2016 12:17:45
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2016 :  20:15:06  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Here is a RAM Swing Arm used for my fish finder. No holes drilled into bulkhead. Used the depth finder hole circumference to install studs thru it and hold by friction with Starboard against companionway edge. The second photo shows the thru bolts from the cockpit side. The thru bolts are actually inside of the old depthfinder circumference - I did not want to drill any addl holes thru the bulkhead. I cannot recall what I put between the outer starboard circle cover and the bulkhead for sealing. I believe I used 3m 4200 or a rubber gasket....probably the sealant. West Marine had the plastic caps to cover the stud heads on the cockpit side. Also, it is not apparent but I have the RAM Swing Mount and fishfinder at the height whereby, I can put two of my companionway boards in place if rain is threatening and still have the fishfinder just clear the top of the 2nd board.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 05/10/2016 03:19:38
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2016 :  12:21:24  Show Profile
In Larry's boat he has his on the port side mounted to a plate that covers an old instrument hole. Mine is on starboard where my instruments are. I have nothing on the port side so I don't have a plastic plate to mount it to. That is one of the reasons for mounting to the trim. I also didn't want to punch more holes into the bulkhead. With 2 screws it is solid. I've been known to hang towels,Raingear,Binoculars on it. Here is some photos to show you more options.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page