Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Adding vents
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cudamank
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/04/2016 :  13:11:45  Show Profile
On my Catalina 25 FK, currently the only venting is through the single slot on my hatch boards. I would like to add some additional means of getting air flow through the cabin. I have seen some posts of modifying the hatch boards and adding a fan to them to either pull in or push out the air. I would think I need something at the bow, to allow air to flow through the whole cabin. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2016 :  14:33:55  Show Profile
Many of us have Nicro solar/battery vents near the head. It won't be enough to keep the boat comfortable, but a solar/battery vent will help reduce mildew by replacing the warm, damp, daytime air with cooler, dryer air in the evening before the internal battery runs down. A powered vent in the board would accomplish the same thing with a passive vent forward, keeping power draw in mind. A small fan or timer doesn't draw much power, but it will add up if it isn't replaced with shore power or solar charger.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2016 :  16:01:29  Show Profile
I used to leave my forward hatch propped slightly open by placing the two "dogs" on top of the brackets they fasten to, and then tightening the prop bar adjusters so the hatch wouldn't fly open. It was just enough to let air flow fore-to-aft, but rain (other than in a serious blow) was channeled away as when the hatch was closed. It was probably about as rain-resistant as the slotted hatch board. You can see the slight crack here...

When I knew a storm was coming or was going to be away for a while, I'd dog down the hatch.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/04/2016 16:03:37
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  07:30:32  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

Mine has the 4" solar powered vent. Unfortunately, the fan is missing and the on/off switch does nothing. Thankfully, CD has the replacements. 4" or 3". Though I don't see why anyone would choose to use the 3". Good luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  08:00:36  Show Profile
You can crack open the forward hatch, make a screen to replace the top companionway hatchboard, and use either a 12 v fan, such as a Hella or Caframo fan, to move air. Another good way to move air is with a windscoop.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  08:23:24  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Back Again,

WM has the wind scoop and it is not very costly. I plan on getting one for mine to use at the slip. Returning to the solar powered vents, I am considering mounting two of the 3" vents towards or near the companion way to help the forward 4". Provided of course I can find a suitable position. I don't remember if they can be switched from intake to exhaust. Does anyone else know ? Thanks.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  12:56:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

I don't remember if they can be switched from intake to exhaust. Does anyone else know ?
Yup--they come with two fan blades, one with a blue spot and one with a red. I don't remember which is which, but it's not hard to figure out.

I should mention if you're looking for air movement you can feel inside the cabin, you're not going to get it from solar vents. But one "3000" moves enough air to change out the whole cabin in a fairly short time period, expelling damp daytime air (including the moisture from your breath) and drawing in the drier night-time air. It definitely makes a difference.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/05/2016 13:01:15
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  13:21:44  Show Profile
Just a word of caution on those solar vents. From my reading and posts on this forum and from other boaters that have them they are problematic. Motors stop working, Switches go bad and in general they don't last very long. Eventually you end up with a 4" hole in your deck. JMO....

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  13:33:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Just a word of caution on those solar vents. From my reading and posts on this forum and from other boaters that have them they are problematic. Motors stop working, Switches go bad and in general they don't last very long...
True, sad to say, but in my experience Nicro will send you a motor replacement kit, free--if not replace the whole unit, depending on its age. But that's a point in favor of mounting it in the forward hatch, which you have a chance of being able to replace if you decide you made a mistake.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  20:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi guys,

So are we saying here that the solar units are undependable and don't last long ? Should I just not bother to replace it ? I'm not looking for fan like air flow, just to try to fight mold and mildew from stagnant moist air. Getting air flow while I'm at the boat won't be a problem. What I want is just enough circulation while I'm not there for a week. Thanks.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  22:10:05  Show Profile
The bad news about some solar vents is the motor, battery or switch tends to go bad within a few years. The good news is that it will become a passive vent at that time. I got an O2 12VDC fan and hooked it inside my companionway boards. It runs from my battery or from my solar panel. Of course it will only run on the solar panel during the day but that's when I need it most. The fan and the vent work together to provide cross ventilation on Passage.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 03/05/2016 22:14:37
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2016 :  08:33:09  Show Profile
For constant circulation then I'm afraid the options listed are it: (1) replace your solar vent every so often, (2) prop open your forward hatch a wee bit, or (3) get a wind-sock.
You could also take a small 8W 12VDC solar panel and affix it to the foredeck somewhere and run a wire to the solar vent. Replace the existing fan with a 12VDC boxer fan available from a surplus electronics parts dealer and get a couple of Lithium Phosphate 3V batteries intended for solar lights from your garden shop or home store and create your own solar vent.
Connect the red wire from the fan to the red wire of the solar panel and connect that to the positive terminal of one of the batteries. Connect the black wires together to the negative terminal of the other battery, than connect the two batteries in series.
Thankfully, this kind of Li battery is not like a hover board battery - generally does not spontaneously go up in flames.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2016 :  09:45:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Back Again,

WM has the wind scoop and it is not very costly. I plan on getting one for mine to use at the slip. Returning to the solar powered vents, I am considering mounting two of the 3" vents towards or near the companion way to help the forward 4". Provided of course I can find a suitable position. I don't remember if they can be switched from intake to exhaust. Does anyone else know ? Thanks.

Bladeswell

Cheap AC box fans work great while you're on the boat at the slip if you have power at the slip. In the summer, we face one blowing down in the vberth hatch and another blowing out the companionway.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2016 :  09:47:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by islander

Just a word of caution on those solar vents. From my reading and posts on this forum and from other boaters that have them they are problematic. Motors stop working, Switches go bad and in general they don't last very long...
True, sad to say, but in my experience Nicro will send you a motor replacement kit, free--if not replace the whole unit, depending on its age. But that's a point in favor of mounting it in the forward hatch, which you have a chance of being able to replace if you decide you made a mistake.

I've purchased two Nicro solar powered vents in the 6 years or so I've owned the boat. Both died after about 2 and a half years, 6 months out of the warranty period. I wonder if I should've called them to see if they'd help me out with replacement parts.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2016 :  09:57:47  Show Profile
More on the vents fan replacement.
1. West Marine is running their $99 Solar Vent special this weekend for all those who wouldn't mind giving that another try.
2. While I was at W-M I found the O2Cool 3.5" USB-powered fan that I think will be a perfect fit for my dead vent.
See O2Cool USB.
I don't represent this as a better solution than replacing the original but for $6.00 it was worth a try!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page