Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Drilling the Mast Step
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trbagpiper
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/15/2016 :  14:49:33  Show Profile
Restoration project from the hull up. I was wondering if anyone has drilled a hole in the mast step and just run the wires straight into the cabin from the mast. Opinions?

Jim Ventimiglia
Toms River Yacht Club
'78 Cat 25 #945 SK/SR "Pipe Dream"

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2016 :  04:08:49  Show Profile
I would think they would be cut when stepping the mast. Also, no access if problem occurs at connector.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2016 :  08:32:23  Show Profile
You also have the post directly under the mast step.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2016 :  09:36:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by trbagpiper

Restoration project from the hull up. I was wondering if anyone has drilled a hole in the mast step and just run the wires straight into the cabin from the mast. Opinions?

This is a common setup on other boats (for instance the Isomat mast step on my Pearson is setup this way).

You need to think about how to deal with water. The water will want to follow the cable down through the mast step. On my mast step this is handled by having a pipe going through the deck and mast step that protrudes into the mast by a couple of inches. The wires all have drip loops inside the mast so that water doesn't come through the pipe.

I have an access panel under the mast step where I can disconnect all of the cables. My (stainless steel) compression post is a bit smaller than the mast and the cables come out just forward of the compression post. I think the wood compression post on the C-25 would get in the way.

It does look nicer, but I'm not sure that it is otherwise a major improvement over Catalina's method. Catalina's method keeps your cabin very dry.

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page