Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bulkhead replacement
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2016 :  08:13:15  Show Profile
To those worrying about the security of the attachment of the upper shroud chainplate to the plywood bulkhead, I'll offer some observations:

1. Nobody here has reported (or heard of, to my knowledge) a chainplate ripping out of the bulkhead--or anything close to it. Correct me if I'm wrong... But I know some folks who have stressed-tested their aging C-25s in ways that made me cringe, with no problems there. (Now, if the plywood is rotten, bets are off.)

2. The force against the plywood is a shear-force--pulling straight upward so that it is transmitted to the whole bulkhead and from there to the cabintop. If something is going to let go, it might be more likely the hull-deck joint along that side. This has happened at the bow of some C-25s, where the older models don't have a chainplate stem fitting that includes a strap under the rub-rail and about 8" down the bow. (You can get that stem fitting from CD.) If you're still concerned, add a metal strap in place of the fender washers on the head side of the bulkhead. But when replacing the plywood, I'd make sure it's marine-grade so there are no voids in the inner plies. Furniture-grade can't be presumed to be solid throughout.

[ /soapbox ]

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Pizza Party
Deckhand

Members Avatar

18 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2016 :  18:55:50  Show Profile

I successfully removed the bulkhead with a little more bend than I was at first comfortable with. I did need to remove the mast step bolts in order to sneak it out.

In the meantime while I am making my repairs, I am concerned about the boat loosing its shape without the bulkhead in place. I know this sounds dtastic but I know it is possible from other boats.

Bladeswell, did you put any temporary support in while you were making your replacement?

1983 TR FK Dinette C25 on Lake Superior
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2016 :  19:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again Pizza,

I knew you could do it. Good job. I did not use anything to support the coach roof while making my repairs. I don't think you will need to worry about roof sag for the short time you will probably have the bulk heads out. Good luck with your boat and I hope your repairs go well.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2016 :  07:42:58  Show Profile
It's starting to look like a C-250! With the compression post in place and the rig not, I seriously doubt anything is going to change.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page