Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bulkhead replacement
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/26/2015 :  09:21:28  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage

Hell Everyone,

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. I removed the main bulkheads,(port and starboard) because they were miss matched color wise and had poorly located and unsightly holes in them. I was unable to locate 1/2" teak ply finished two sides, so I ended up buying 1/4" teak ply and laminating them myself to get the required 1/2". I've included pics of before and after. Now all I need to do is manage to get them into my blazer and back into the boat without scratching them. wish me luck.
Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Edited by - Bladeswell on 02/17/2016 20:07:26

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2015 :  10:40:40  Show Profile
WOW ... that looks nice! Please take some before/after photos so we can see the results, and GOOD LUCK!!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2015 :  11:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi again,
Here is a pic of the bulkhead before removal and replacement. Thanks for your interest.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2016 :  17:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Here is another pic of the bulkheads before replacement

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2016 :  17:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Here is a pic showing the new bulkheads installed.

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2016 :  17:39:18  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Well,
Now its time to move on to the next phase of my boats restoration. Replacing the head and galley counter tops. Good sailing all.
Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2016 :  18:17:54  Show Profile
'Nice job ... it's BEAUTIFUL!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2016 :  18:28:00  Show Profile
The bookmatched woodgrain is amazing!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2016 :  20:57:05  Show Profile
It is gorgeous!

I don't see screw heads on the port side. Did you remove the shelf in the head?

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2016 :  02:28:32  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello again everyone,

I did not remove the shelf, (counter top) in the head, port or starboard. The holes are drilled as well as the holes for the chainplates. I am making new shelves, (counter tops) that will be covered with white formica for the head and the galley.
Once I have these shelves made and installed, I will then be able to reinstall the chainplates. This is the next step in my boats restoration process. Thanks everyone.
Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

michael.j.wenger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2016 :  08:44:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Here is a pic showing the new bulkheads installed.

Nicely done, and motivation for me to get started on similar. Is it necessary/advisable to have the mast stepped before removing the bulkhead attached to the compression post?

Michael Wenger
Norman OK (Lake Thunderbird)
"Sea of Tea" (SK/TR)
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2016 :  09:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

My mast was down at the time. In trailering mode. The upper shrouds are attached to the chainplates which are secured to the bulkheads. So it might be best if the mast is down at the time. Better safe than sorry.
Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

michael.j.wenger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2016 :  09:13:47  Show Profile
Good point: thanks!

Michael Wenger
Norman OK (Lake Thunderbird)
"Sea of Tea" (SK/TR)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2016 :  13:39:53  Show Profile
Nice job! One thing that always bothered me was from an engineering/structural stand point was that the upper chain plates were just bolted to a piece of plywood with no backing plate and the plywood is just held there by some small screws. It just never looked strong enough to me. Whenever I'm healed over at 30-35 deg. I'm always waiting for them to just pull out of the plywood.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Merrick
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
192 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2016 :  14:29:56  Show Profile
How hard was it to remove the bulk heads? I've never looked to see what holds them in place.

1981 #2555 "Aero"
sk/sr
Coosaw Island, SC
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2016 :  17:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi again,

It really isn't very hard to remove them. Just be sure to look very carefully for every screw holding them in place. There are also three bolts at the bottom of the port side and two more on the starboard side. Also at the bottom.
You need to be carefull not to damage them as you take them out, as the old ones need to be used as templates for the new ones. Best of luck.
Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2016 :  20:44:18  Show Profile
Excellent work!! They look great.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2016 :  08:16:35  Show Profile
quote:
the upper chain plates were just bolted to a piece of plywood with no backing plate

Pearl's are backed with heavy, aluminum angle plates. I wouldn't be comfortable with plywood either.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2016 :  12:23:53  Show Profile
Absolutely beautiful work -- wish the project was within my skill/ability . . . . you appear to be comfortable doing such projects!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2016 :  17:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Peter,
You may not think so, but I'm sure it is within your ability. It just isn't really difficult. Remove the old one, use it as a template for the new one. Not even any measuring to do. Cut it out, do the finish of your choice and reinstall. Give it a try. You won't be sorry. Good luck.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2016 :  18:05:48  Show Profile
I may just do that!

To some other points, you may think about having a stainless or aluminum "strapping" fabricated so the chain plate secures to more than just plywood. As you have it all out/off this is the perfect opportunity to improve the security of the mast.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2016 :  13:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
By the way Peter,

I forgot to mention that all edges of a new bulkhead will need to be sealed with either polyester or epoxy resin and if one side is not visible, like the dumpster side of the electrical panel bulkhead. You should seal the entire dumpster side as well. I used polyester resin from home depot at $14 bucks. More than enough for the required job.
Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Pizza Party
Deckhand

Members Avatar

18 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2016 :  19:14:43  Show Profile
Sorry to revive an old thread, but seemed the best place to ask.

Bladeswell, how did you wiggle the port bulkhead out past the compression post?

The way I'm see mine as I'm attempting to remove it I'm confused as to how you removed yours, not to mention got it back in. I can't pull it out to starboard since the top of the bulkhead is molded around the mast step bolts & compression post.

I have all the bolts/screws removed, but can't quite figure how to finagle the thing out if there. What am I not seeing here?

1983 TR FK Dinette C25 on Lake Superior
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2016 :  20:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Pizza,

I don't know if you happen to have the cabinet directly behind the head, but if you do it needs to be removed first. And then the remaining shelf needs to come out. The shelf that is also the top of the head cabinet. I also removed my head to make even more clearance, but I have a Porta potty. You might not. But I don't think it is critical to remove the head. Now with all screws and bolts removed, push on the bulk head right next to the compression post. Push from aft to forward. When its clear of the compression post, pull to starboard and it will come out. It will need to bend some for this to happen but not very much. When you reinstall, you will again need to "bend "it in. I can post more pics if that will help. Hopefully, this was the information you needed. Good luck.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Pizza Party
Deckhand

Members Avatar

18 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2016 :  05:22:04  Show Profile
I also have already removed the head/shelving/etc including all other woodwork in the boat aside from the main bulkhead.

Maybe I am just not bending it enough... I really hate to break the thing as I'm not quite sure replacement is needed yet. It does need to come out to allow for repairs though.

The mast step recession, where the forward two bolts are, is what I need to get around, and that is a few inches from the post/where the bulkhead rests. Seemed like a big bend when I was testing it.

I'll try again and give a little more bend to hopefully get past the mast step recession.

1983 TR FK Dinette C25 on Lake Superior
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2016 :  06:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hey Pizza,

I will be at my boat today in a few hours. I will take a picture of the compression post, mast step area so you can compare. I don't know what year your boat is or if it may be a little different than mine. The instructions I gave you worked fine for my boat, but I don't want you to break anything. But it seems to me the only way it's coming out is the way I explained. Good luck.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page