Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 outboard braket C25 standard rig
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slim
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/19/2015 :  07:31:14  Show Profile
Hi

I am new to the forum and this is my first post so please bear with me if i pradel on. I bought a 1978 C25 standard rig and am in the process of refitting it as it has been ignored for some time. The boat is fresh water and been on a trailer for years. My question is this: The boat came with a 15hp 4 stroke mercury outboard (115lb) that is fairly new and i would like to use but the bracket for it was old and i need to replace it with a new one. Does anyone have a suggestion on what would be the best bracket to use now? All of the forum posts are outdated on this subject that i can find as new equipment is available. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2015 :  08:12:47  Show Profile
Here is a link to Catalina Direct. They sell the Garhauer motor mounts. Do not be shocked at the price, these are the best. Most people choose the four spring version for heavier motors.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/84/motor-mounts.cfm

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2015 :  08:27:10  Show Profile
Another possible option is described in the technical tips/C25 area of this site: http://www.catalina-capri-25s.com/tech/tech25/cokie.asp

I haven't tried it, but it looks like it could be a budget-friendly solution if the mount you have now is solid.

Good luck.

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2015 :  08:43:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

Here is a link to Catalina Direct. They sell the Garhauer motor mounts. Do not be shocked at the price, these are the best. Most people choose the four spring version for heavier motors.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/84/motor-mounts.cfm

Thanks I am considering that bracket but ouch!! the price. Also i am later today getting ready to raise my mast with your A frame system that i copied off of the internet. Wish me luck.

Slim

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2015 :  11:10:34  Show Profile
Welcome, Slim! Unless your '78 has one of the small aluminum brackets (with two pairs of bars between the boat and the mounting board) that Catalina put on some early boats, it probably has the tubular stainless one from Garhauer. The former is definitely not right for your engine--the latter is adequate, but the upgraded version from CD has several engineering improvements, including the option of more springs. (You'll want all four.) A benefit is it should use the same bolt holes--no filling and drilling required. It also has just about the most vertical travel, and doesn't end up pressed against the transom when fully raised--some others do. You can find something cheaper, but you'll likely regret it one day.

For future questions and comments, it can be beneficial to set up a "Signature" in your Profile, so at a minimum your year, keel (SK?), and rig (SR) automatically appear below each of your postings. You'll see that with most participants here--like Solomon above, and me.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/19/2015 11:12:55
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2015 :  11:28:54  Show Profile
I agree with Dave 100%. Your right that it is a little pricey but I don't regret it now. With the 4 springs it is real easy to get out of the water. I have the Merc 4 stroke so need the springs.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2015 :  12:57:35  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
The Garhauer is probably your best option if the bolt holes will match up, but if you end up having to drill new holes as I did, the Garelick 71090 has worked very well on our boat for the past eight years or so. It's only a bit cheaper than the Garhauer.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2015 :  19:26:01  Show Profile
Thanks so much for all the suggestions and help with this subject. This is just the reason that i went with the catalina 25 because of all the support and availability of information. It is worth more than can be imagined when you are working on the old girl. If anyone is interested i was successful raising my mast today by myself with the A frame design i found on this forum. Could not have done it otherwise.

Slim

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2015 :  07:16:16  Show Profile
quote:
If anyone is interested i was successful raising my mast today by myself with the A frame design I found on this forum.

Congratulations, I think that you'll find having an a-frame on hand will be well worth the time it took to make one.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  17:40:18  Show Profile
Well, just got my new 4 spring mount. Sadly, contradicting what I was told by CD and many posts, the holes DO NOT line up. Spacing top to bottom is the same but the distance is not the same port to stbd.
I have backer boards in and out. If I just get new ones, drill them and then use 5200, can I just drill through them and the hull.
They are about 1/2 diameter off.
Jay

quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Welcome, Slim! Unless your '78 has one of the small aluminum brackets (with two pairs of bars between the boat and the mounting board) that Catalina put on some early boats, it probably has the tubular stainless one from Garhauer. The former is definitely not right for your engine--the latter is adequate, but the upgraded version from CD has several engineering improvements, including the option of more springs. (You'll want all four.) A benefit is it should use the same bolt holes--no filling and drilling required. It also has just about the most vertical travel, and doesn't end up pressed against the transom when fully raised--some others do. You can find something cheaper, but you'll likely regret it one day.

For future questions and comments, it can be beneficial to set up a "Signature" in your Profile, so at a minimum your year, keel (SK?), and rig (SR) automatically appear below each of your postings. You'll see that with most participants here--like Solomon above, and me.

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  18:28:27  Show Profile
Since the spacing top to bottom is the same, I'd use the same holes on one side, and fill the old holes on the other side with Marinetex. Then drill out the new holes on the other side. Then I'd caulk the holes and install the new motor mount. I don't think it's necessary to install new backing. My thinking is to do it the simplest, least labor-intensive way, and then go sailing. Installing it that way will probably last for many years.

By using the original holes on one side, they will prevent the mount from moving either up and down or from side to side. On the other side, the greatest load will be up and down, and the new holes will restrict any up or down movement.

Alternatively, if you have access to a drill press, you could drill new holes on one side of the motor mount. I think either way would be functional.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2016 :  19:37:07  Show Profile
Jay

I also did not find my old motor mount holes to match the CD 4 spring motor bracket. I opted to install new backer boards both inside and out. I used Daily Chef Poly Commercial Cutting Board, 15" x 20" x ˝” available at Sams club and other retailers. I only have one photo of the installed unit but will see if i can get another in a day or two. I am very pleased with my final results and i hope you will be with yours as well.

Edited by - slim on 03/05/2016 19:38:10
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2016 :  05:44:29  Show Profile
Well, glad to see I was not the only one to find the holes don't match.
Here's my plan.
I'll get new backer boards in and out.
Take one of the original and put a CL on it. Mark the CL on the hull.
Line up the new mount and drill the new backer board. Mark a CL on it.
Line up the CLs on the hull and drill new holes.
Take the new backer board off and marine Tex the holes.
After cure, put the backer board back up and redrill.
Put a good amount of 5200 down and put the backerboard up and install the mount.
Hope this will work.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2016 :  08:20:11  Show Profile
Wow, This is the first time that I can remember that anybody has said that the holes don't line up.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2016 :  09:18:22  Show Profile
I know. I checked all the posts and asked CD and the word was they line up.
I'm not paying to return it, but I will call tomorrow.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2016 :  12:39:13  Show Profile
When I replaced the old aluminum motor mount with the CD tubular mount the holes did not line up either. I don't recall it being much of an issue. Filled the old holes and drilled new holes. The backing board covered the old holes so they were no longer visible.

Joe Wergers
Utopia
Fleet 7/Oceanside, CA
78 C25 FK/SR #381
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2016 :  07:52:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sloop Smitten

When I replaced the old aluminum motor mount with the CD tubular mount the holes did not line up either. I don't recall it being much of an issue. Filled the old holes and drilled new holes. The backing board covered the old holes so they were no longer visible.

You're right it is not much of an issue, the important thing is that you have the motor bracket that you want for your motor! Having to fill and redrill seems to be just business as usual for sailboat owners. Best thing to do is get on with it and you’ll be out sailing before you know it.

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2016 :  21:26:03  Show Profile
I would sk ip the 5200. It won't adhere well to the poly and is not necessary. Four #10 machine screws, washers and nuts to keep the backing plates in position is all you need

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page