Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Mister Clean Magic Eraser
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hewebb
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/20/2015 :  03:25:45  Show Profile
I don't know if any of you have used this product to clean your boat or not.
I used it yesterday to clean some stubborn stains on the deck and cockpit and it worked very well. Then, I thought I would try it on the sole. I thought the dark areas in the grain pattern were there to stay. I used the eraser and it looks like new again. What I don't know is if the product is removing some gel-coat during the cleaning process.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2015 :  07:32:30  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Try it on your fenders too, it's pretty amazing. Still needs some elbow grease, but they go from being dingy grey to white again pretty quickly.

I've also just recently tried Super Clean on the stern where dirt & exhaust had created a black mess. A few squirts of Super Clean, a little bit of brush & rag work, and my stern was nearly pristine looking. It's caustic, so make sure to read the label, and don't use it on aluminum unless very dilute (again, read label), but it cleans like crazy and is biodegradable. You'll want to wear gloves and maybe a mask, and rinse your work area very well.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2015 :  12:45:18  Show Profile
quote:
What I don't know is if the product is removing some gel-coat during the cleaning process.

My guess is yes. I know if you use it on shiny surfaces like polished fiberglass it will leave the surface dull so my guess is its somewhat abrasive.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/20/2015 12:46:07
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2015 :  15:11:24  Show Profile
It's great stuff, but yes, it is mildly abrasive and you need to rinse thoroughly as it has bleach in it.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2015 :  19:14:09  Show Profile
Magic Erasers have been aboard Pearl for a few years now. They even removed day old Cetol from gelcoat. The microfiber material probably doesn't degrade in my remaining lifetime, so dumping that bucket of cloudy water over the side probably is not a good idea. I use them extensively for Pearl's shoreside cleaning and am more careful and specific when afloat.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2015 :  08:01:10  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I have 4 boxes of them on Eximius, but using them is low on the priority list right now.

However, using them does remove some of the shine (Ha! the boat is 28 years old - Shine! nah, it's Dull)

So our process is to clean the surface with the Magic Sponge and then apply a couple of coats of Zep. Works great.

My greatest concern is the environmental impact of the disintegrating sponges, nano plastic particles in the sea.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page