Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Swing Keel inspection.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tweeet65
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/29/2015 :  10:41:19  Show Profile
Hey gang, I want to replace cable, etc. how far does the keel have to travel down in order to remove cable? I hope to do this on its trailer but the axle prevents the keel from coming down more than 6 inches or so.

Thanks,

Dave

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2015 :  17:35:57  Show Profile
Is that a total of a 6" drop, or 6" clear space below the hull? You'll need a minimum of 6", 8 - 10 is better, of clear space between the aft edge of the keel and the bottom of the hull, to have adequate access to the fitting and for securing the cable.

You also need to be careful of not imparting twists in the cable when working in the confined space. It's best done when working w/ 2 people - in inside at the winch and the other outside at the keel.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2015 :  20:49:34  Show Profile
Agree that 6" is about the minimum, but the design of the trailer and whether you have the original eyebolt or the CD attachment can have some impact. I could drag Pearl back several feet on my old trailer (with it attached to the car and jack stands under the aft end) and drop the keel far enough with the CD attachment. Otherwise, the attachment was still in the slot with the keel fully lowered on its roller. The new trailer is a piece of cake. Another option is to lower the nose of the trailer, place boat stands under the aft third of the hull and jack up the nose of the trailer. Use a sturdy hydraulic jack, not the roller jack on the trailer, and go only as high as necessary because it does stress things a bit and put a jack stand under the nose.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

tweeet65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2015 :  17:35:15  Show Profile
Jack stands would be great but I have none and can't find any for rent. I asked Portland.
Go to Top of Page

tweeet65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2015 :  07:35:05  Show Profile
Dave, your suggestions r great. I have some ideas for homemade jack stands, will post my results. Hope to sail a little more yet though. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2015 :  19:12:47  Show Profile
My second option might need modification. That is how I did it on my last boat, but it was on a single axle trailer. You could remove the rear wheels if necessary, but that would be a bit of a load on what is probably a 3500 pound axle. In a static state it is probably no worse than hitting a big bump while towing. I probably would, with a solid trailer, do that myself but wouldn't officially recommend it to anyone else.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 08/31/2015 19:13:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page