Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Tiller auto-pilot location
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/09/2015 :  21:04:46  Show Profile
Greetings all,
I've purchased a used Simrad TP10. I've everything I need to mount it but was hoping for some words-of-wisdom from you folks.
Anyone got a pic of this or a similar unit mounted on a C25?

Anyone have any comments on using one of these gadgets?
Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2015 :  08:25:25  Show Profile
I had a Simrad TP22. You probably already came across this but if not here is the installation instructions:

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root/TillerPilots/TP10-22-32_OM_EN_988-10413-003_w.pdf

I mounted mine on the port side because my outboard was on the starboard side. I also recall modifiying the mounting bracket, here is a photo of that:

The arm on the bracket could be removed by unscrewing it.
If you single hand or take long trips you will love it.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2015 :  09:30:00  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Davy,

I have considered installing a tiller pilot but just have not moved this to the action stage as of yet. In considering one, I noticed that they generally come set up to install on the starboard side but allow it to be easily adapted over to installing on the port side. The instructions generally call for a backing support plate to help withstand the continual cyclic/stress motions of the tiller arm and so I was looking at the underside on the starboard side for how that backing plate could be installed and noticed that there is an inner fiberglass liner preventing access to the cockpit side wall. I had not checked out the port side but agree with you that it is best to mount it on that side especially with the outboard on the starboard side and need to gain easy access to the outboard. So, is there a fiberglass liner on the port side ? Maybe since that side is physically in the dumpster area, there is no liner and therefore the port side also makes sense for easy access to install the support. Did you also install a backing support plate inside the dumpster ? or just attach the support with no backing plate ?

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 08/10/2015 09:31:25
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2015 :  09:59:58  Show Profile
quote:
Did you also install a backing support plate inside the dumpster ? or just attach the support with no backing plate ?

I do not remember what I installed as a backing plate, (I installed it about ten years ago). I don't think it's needs to be that robust, probably just some large fender washers. Or a small piece of hardwood. The force on the bracket goes both ways, that meaning, that it pushes as well as pulls on the mount.

There wasn't an inner liner on the dumpster area where I mounted mine.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2015 :  19:58:57  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Thanks for confirming no liner on the port side !

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2015 :  20:11:38  Show Profile
My Autohelm is now on starboard side over the compartment. It used a sleeve glued in the top of the combing. Unit could be used on either side. Makes a much safer helm as I can look and check course easier.

Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2015 :  04:01:03  Show Profile
I installed an auto tiller last year. I tend to overdo some things; the alum brackets probably are not necessary. I installed one for a friend and we did not use the alum pieces.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2015 :  21:05:36  Show Profile
Here's my autohelm installation:

The brass cylinder is glued into combing.

Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2015 :  11:11:41  Show Profile
We put our pin on the small opening hatch on starboard, since not much fits in that compartment anyway. This avoided needing to use extenders. I put the bracket on the BOTTOM of the tiller. I put a piece of plywood under the hatch for stability. Worked great for many years.

Stu
1986 C34 #224 "Aquavite"
Cowichan Bay, BC Maple Bay Marina
(formerly San Francisco)
(formerly C25 #2459 "Capricorn Two")
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2015 :  16:53:43  Show Profile
http://photos.alexwetmore.org/Sailing/Raymarine-ST2000-Installation/

5" extension, mounted on the cockpit coaming. I didn't want anything that protruded uncomfortably into seating.

I ran the power cable inside a cockpit storage box to keep it out of the weather.

It worked well.

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2015 :  16:21:27  Show Profile
Davy,
Thanks for that picture. I have a similar fitting on Wind Dancer and had no idea what it was for.
Now I know that the PO had an autohelm.
Now maybe look around to see what brand and maybe get one.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2015 :  06:29:40  Show Profile
Not trying to hijack the thread . . . but . . . . how well did the autopilot work, and how often did you folks actually use it? -- or, was it really worth it?

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2015 :  07:21:44  Show Profile
quote:
how well did the autopilot work, and how often did you folks actually use it? -- or, was it really worth it?

The first time you are sitting on the bow pulpit looking back at the sails while the autopilot steers, it becomes worth it.......

Motor-sailing in light winds, in the Gulf of Mexico, video is only 37 seconds long, but the boat sailed like this without me touching the tiller for 6 and a 1/2 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf63geMSykM

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2015 :  04:24:30  Show Profile
quote:
Not trying to hijack the thread . . . but . . . . how well did the autopilot work, and how often did you folks actually use it? -- or, was it really worth it?

I solo sail quite a lot and use it when going on deck or below. Some times I just set it and sit back and enjoy my favorite beverage.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2015 :  15:00:57  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Maybe this helps with how they do, maybe not... 2 gusts of +5 during filming... I ditched the camera not because I was off course, but because someone drifted into my path on a motorboat, with no anchor down. Pretty typical motorboat BS on the lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlcvCukMrng So far I think the TP works really well, this is my S2 though.

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2015 :  03:48:11  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

I use it most of the time under power. and sometimes under sail. It does a great job when grabbing a drink or using the head. Last week i used it when i rigged the whisker pole. Imagine all the times you are single handing and you'd like to turn to someone and say "take the helm for a minute" . That's when you'll use it. after new sails, the best purchase I made for my boat.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page