Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Boom/ bimini conflict
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ct95949
Captain

Member Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/31/2015 :  20:14:44  Show Profile
I remember reading about some C25 owners shortening their booms but I can't remember the reason or advantage. For some reason I didn't notice that the PO had cut the boom down to 9 1/2' on my boat I bought last year. It was painfully obvious when I went to install my 6', three bow bimini today. This was an extra SS frame from my old boat and I mounted it at about the same spot on the T track. Moving the bimini forward to avoid hitting the mainsheet would mean no shade sitting by the tiller. I think the PO had a short bimini between the backstay and boom, that must be why he cut it.

Bottom line is- I need the original length 11' boom. Does any one know wear I can find one? I need all the shade I can get, the mainsheet at that angle eats up a lot of cockpit space and I'd like to have room to rig an outhaul.
Thanks, Craig.

'90 SR/WK #6017. PO of '79 SR/SK.

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2015 :  05:18:48  Show Profile
According to my manual the boom is 10'4" without the castings on the ends. True the aft end of the cockpit isn't under the Bimini but half is better than none and I can scoot forward enough to get under it and still be able to hold the tiller. In order to have a Bimini farther aft you would need to move the mainsheet to a mid boom set up mounted to the cabin top and have a custom or semi-custom Bimini made to accommodate the backstay. Cost of doing this is probably the driving factor that most just have an off the shelf Bimini and fabricate it to fit the boat.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2015 :  05:35:58  Show Profile
I found 11' on the Catalina parts manual, I never measured the boom on my old boat. I would be happy to have the bimini as you describe, that's how it was on my '79. CD doesn't list a new boom on their site, I'd like to find a used one.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2015 :  06:01:01  Show Profile
It could be 11' with the end casting and the gooseneck. Consider that you wont be able to fully stand up anywhere in the cockpit or be able to get to the boom for adjustments like reefing, Hanging the boom on the pig tail or the back haul line with a full length Bimini. Also you won't be able to look up at the Windex or telltails.

Edited by - islander on 06/01/2015 06:15:46
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2015 :  06:37:42  Show Profile
An option would be maybe have a second Bimini that attaches to the aft railings and would be higher than the first Bimini. The slot between the two would accommodate the mainsheet and give you some space to stand and also reach the boom. It would need a hole for the backstay with a zipper but might work. Something like this. Of course this is assuming that $$$ is no object.

Edited by - islander on 06/01/2015 06:39:43
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2015 :  06:52:57  Show Profile
I searched on "catalina 25 boom extrusion" and found Catalina Direct lists it as an available part! http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/631_97/boom-extrusion-only-c-25.cfm hope this helps.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2015 :  17:38:35  Show Profile
Thanks Kim! I did that search and nothing came up, funny how those things work. I believe that tall narrow bimini is what my PO had, it was in pretty bad shape so I junked it. I could stand up behind the bimini on my old boat and see the Windex, reefing will be at the rope clutches, CD got rid of the pigtail on the new adjustable backstay(not good) and I should be able to reach the outhaul at the end of the boom. Where I sail near Sacramento, maximum shade is worth a little inconvenience.
Craig.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2015 :  04:56:02  Show Profile
quote:
CD got rid of the pigtail on the new adjustable backstay(not good)

When I ordered my new standing rigging 2yrs ago, You had to order the backstay separately and you had to order the pigtail separately again if you wanted it otherwise it didn't come with it. I didn't but instead cut my old one off and attached it to the new backstay with a wire clamp.

Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2015 :  05:38:25  Show Profile
Good idea, I'll do that.
Thanks, Craig.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2015 :  06:19:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ct95949

...CD got rid of the pigtail on the new adjustable backstay(not good)...

I believe they did that because, as several of us have reported here, the first time you forget to unhook the boom from the pigtail before hoisting the sail in a good breeze, you find yourself in a dicey situation. The second time you do it, you say, "Never again!" and the pigtail is thereafter clipped to the stay and not used. ("Fool me twice...") I made an adjustable topping lift so I could raise the boom somewhat when not under way, and just tensioned the mainsheet. The topping lift is always ready--no need to attach the pigtail before dousing the main.

I never missed the pigtail on my new CD rigging.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/02/2015 06:25:31
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2015 :  07:43:53  Show Profile
Your right, Its no longer offered.
quote:
Since most sailors have added a fully functioning topping lift or a Boomkicker (allowing them to douse their mains without being head to wind), this backstay no longer includes a pigtail option.

Funny but I like and still use the pigtail to park the boom at the end of a day. I have a topping lift that is adjustable but I find the pigtail to be quicker at the end of the day. The topping lift is set so the boom is an inch or so above the Bimini and when the sail is raised it goes slack. At the end of a day rather than mess with the topping lift adjustment, Its just easier to put the boom on the pigtail. It also keeps the sail cover from dragging on the top of the Bimini. I've never yet raised the sail with the boom still on the pigtail but I guess there's always a first time for anything. What I do forget often is to loosen the mainsheet before raising the sail. Another advantage is when at an anchorage you can disconnect the mainsheet from the boom to get it out of the way without the boom swinging 180 degs back and forth as it would on the topping lift. Maybe I'll start the "Save the pigtail" campaign!

Edited by - islander on 06/02/2015 08:22:56
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2015 :  08:37:22  Show Profile
Cal 25s have a pig tail also. I had a topping lift on my Catalina 25, but, when my boat was in the slip, I always hooked up the pig tail. Being a short piece of wire, the pig tail didn't stretch like the long rope topping lift, and it held the boom more securely.

You're not supposed to forget to unhook your pig tail before you bear off head-to-wind, just like you're not supposed to forget to hook up your gas tank before you start your engine, and you're not supposed to forget to tie your jib sheets to the clew of the jib before you raise the jib. It's not a flaw in the concept of the pig tail. It's a memory thing.
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2015 :  19:03:56  Show Profile
quote:
At the end of a day rather than mess with the topping lift adjustment, Its just easier to put the boom on the pigtail. It also keeps the sail cover from dragging on the top of the Bimini.

That's what I did, clipped on the pigtail when I left the boat and put the mainsheet in the small starboard locker to keep it out of the sun. Here's a pic of my old boat with the full length boom right at the end of the bimini. Stopping for lunch, the boom would just rest on top of the bimini. Lazy jacks kept the main from falling all over the cabin top.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page