Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 ForeStay & CDI Furler
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/31/2015 :  07:12:00  Show Profile
Greetings all, still getting things together, I see from pictures in the owners manual that the forestay goes in the 2nd lower hole of the masthead since the outermost one is used for spinnaker gear, I'm almost certain when I took the rig apart the stay was in the forward most hole - can you folks confirm which is correct? Also the CDI instructions say to have a toggle at the masthead end, however there seems to be a lot of play from side to side when I put the toggle in - do you folks use any kind of spacers to take up the slop?
And finally - I was able to get an entirely new-to-me used CDI Furler from a larger boat. I'm needing to cut the one-piece luff down to fit my smaller headstay (the one it came from was 31ft) I saw somewhere that the top fitting should be 3" from the masthead - can someone confirm this?
and more... I see that there are references to adding a piece of PVC between the luff top fitting and the mast head 'IF' you have a problem with the furler rising - wouldn't it be prudent to put that on now while everything is apart?

I've got to say - thanks so much to everyone for answering all my questions. Hopefully I'll hit the water sometime in June only a month late sigh.

- Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2015 :  08:41:41  Show Profile
I'll assume it's an FF4... Did the Installation Manual come with it? (I don't have any answers for you--never had a CDI.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/31/2015 08:42:17
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2015 :  19:59:53  Show Profile
Yes it's a CDI FF4 Furler with the PVC 1 piece luff.

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2015 :  20:25:43  Show Profile
I just rigged a CDI FF4 that came with my boat I bought last year and I added toggles to both ends. Having side to side play at the mast is no problem, the toggle is meant to allow movement and once the stay is tensioned there will be no slop. I'm not sure about the 3" but go with what the manual says- the original is on the CDI website.

I think rigging the forestay to the foreword hole is a no-no because it might break the casting. That said, I did that for several years on my old boat with a Harken furler with no problems. I wanted to improve the foil/ halyard angle that Harken stressed was important to avoid wraps. No halyard needed on the CDI, use the inside hole.
Craig.

'90 SR/WK #6017. PO of '79 SR/SK.

Edited by - ct95949 on 05/31/2015 20:38:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page