Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Not good
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/25/2015 :  13:35:34  Show Profile
On Friday we had very strong winds here on the Sound, 24-28 with gusts over 30. Needless to say I opted out on sailing but this sailor didn't and payed the price. They motored into my Marina Saturday morning. Sad to see. Home port says Maine.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2015 :  14:59:51  Show Profile
Looks like a Gulfstar (60?) The port upper shroud may have let go at the mast-head, and it looks like they recovered it and tied if off astern. Evidently a reefed main and a rolled-up genny didn't keep him out of trouble. Looks like both sails survived, and I don't see significant damage to the deck... Hopefully the people are all OK.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/25/2015 15:23:14
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2015 :  20:31:55  Show Profile
That simply doesn't make any sense... Many blue water boats are known to survive near-hurricane force winds, 30 kt gusts are "fun" for big boats like these. I suspect rather there was either a snapped shroud or a poorly tuned rig that may have pulsated sufficiently to shake the rig enough to break it. Or maybe there was a long-standing rig problem that led to metal fatigue? Accidents happen, but I just don't get it.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2015 :  03:23:22  Show Profile
Hmmm... I think inspect and re-tune my rig.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2015 :  07:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Those numbers are typical for San Francisco Bay in the summertime, and I can assure you that a Catalina 25 can handle those conditions - no problemo. They're actually "fun" for boats our size, too, because it's like a Chevy sedan has been transformed into a Ferrari. The boat handles like a dinghy: very quick and responsive. Easily overpowered, however, so it requires a substantial shortening of sail.

I would not encourage anyone to go out in conditions in which they feel they are in danger, but I will say this much: unusually heavy conditions can give you the opportunity to understand your boat better. If you're ever caught out in conditions that suddenly deteriorate, like a squall line passing through, it's valuable to already have the experience to be able to handle it. Besides, once you've developed the technical knowledge and the confidence, the apprehension becomes exhilaration, and sailing takes on a new dimension.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but losing a rig in conditions like that probably means someone wasn't prepared. A Catalina 25, properly set up and managed, can take that kind of wind and really dance!

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page