Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Another Question on Outboard Size
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pearson39b
1st Mate

Member Avatar

93 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/29/2015 :  13:08:38  Show Profile
I've been following the earlier discussion on engine size, and came up with a different question. I've been looking at used outboard listings and find a lot of older 15 HP two-stroke Evinrudes with long shafts out there, some at pretty good prices. I haven't checked any specs yet, but I suspect they probably weigh less than some of the 9.9 HP four-strokes, so I'm wondering if there are any other negatives associated with bumping up my range of acceptable options to include them?

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  13:58:08  Show Profile
There are only two things I can think of. The 15 hp will use a little more gas, and it will generate more torque. Avoid the temptation to crank open the throttle. After the boat reaches hull speed the extra power won't make it go significantly faster, but it will put more stress on the motor mount and transom. Otherwise, a motor of about the same weight should work.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  20:04:30  Show Profile
The 9.8 hp Tohatsu (or Nissan) with 25" shaft weighs 93 lbs. You will want a 25" shaft, not 20". As stated above, the extra horsepower will be wasted energy.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  21:11:43  Show Profile
Yup--"Long" means 20" while "extra-long" (XL) means 25". If your sailing grounds can have waves (or wakes) large enough to cause fore-aft pitching, you want the longest (XL) shaft--Catalina recommends it, without condition , in the manual. But because power-boaters don't buy XLs, they're not common on the used market.

I'll agree that 15 hp is beyond adequate. 8 got me through some really nasty stuff at partial throttle, and 9.9 is in some cases the same engine, with more than enough HP and a little less torque for low speed maneuvering. But you probably already read my comments on that...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  05:17:21  Show Profile
Agreed on the x-long shaft and although the extra HP is not needed, It could be an advantage in having a little more bite when slow speed maneuvering. Probably will have a larger prop and the boat will respond better/quicker with that. Caution on the weight difference. If the engine is comparable in weight as to the one you are replacing then I don't see any problem but if it weighs more than the one you are replacing then that extra weight is something that you are going to have to lift and might involve changing the motor mount.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  12:56:55  Show Profile
Johnson and Evinrude did make an xl (25 inch) 9.9 two stroke engine that was intended to be for sailboats. If you peruse Craigslist you may find one. The good news is a two stroke is relatively easy and less expensive to refurbish, and being used the purchase price should be relatively low. The bad news is that it is two stroke and will be less enjoyable that a quieter four stroke. While I have never regretted upgrading to a four stroke I do appreciate that sometimes an older gem is the way to go -- just make sure whatever you get it works in the environment you will be sailing.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  15:24:58  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
That's exactly what our boat had, a Johnson 8HP Sailmaster. Nothing wrong with it, just wanted a new completely trustworthy (and quiet) engine on the boat. I sold it for $800 the first day I put it on CL which paid for almost half of our Tohatsu 9.8.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2015 :  05:16:47  Show Profile
Good information on the Sailmaster. I had seen them listed as the aux power source on several sailboats, but did not realize they were the XLS version of the Johnson line.

BTW, I did find that the Evinrude 15 was essentially the same motor as the 9.9, just with a bigger carb that gives it more RPM, and - of course - higher fuel consumption.

My budget, dependability, and the weight to power ratio of the two-strokes still make them my first choice in this hunt, but I have to admit it would be nice to find a good deal on an 8 HP, four-stroke. Still have a couple of months before I'm ready to splash the C-25, so I do have some time to shop.

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2015 :  14:56:22  Show Profile
As an Association member we get a discount at outboards direct, who sell Tohatsu made outboards and ships anywhere in the US. When I was looking a few years back they had by far the best price and were very user friendly.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2015 :  11:26:50  Show Profile
The Outboards Direct website I found on Google didn't list Tohatsus, Peter. Is there a chance they changed hands or dropped the line otherwise?

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2015 :  13:47:19  Show Profile
Not outboards direct..Its Online outboards http://onlineoutboards.com/ Go to the 'Members Area' then 'Member Discounts'

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/03/2015 14:01:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page