Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Need new jib - looking for suggestions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/10/2015 :  21:21:11  Show Profile
Greetings all, I've an 82 C25 FK STD rig, in need of a new jib. The previous one is a 150 using a CDI furler. I'm not going to be racing the boat and have been told that a 135 may be better suited for all around sailing. I'm sailing out of Newport RI, with a good breeze most of the time. I've gotten a quote from an Asian company which seemed to have good references for a little over 800, IC that CD gets 1150 or so - frankly the dif in cost does not mean all that much to me. Any suggestions would be most welcome - as you may tell the C25 is new to me but I've sailed quite a lot on slightly smaller boats.

Anyone by chance have a used jib in good condition that will work with my CDI furler?

Comments and advice is most welcome
Thanks in Advance
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2015 :  21:43:04  Show Profile
135 is a good idea. Sunbrella is the common sun protector but is heavy, I prefer using Dacron. It matches the sail, help sail shape over sunbrella and it is the thread in sun covers that dies so who cares if sunbrella lasts longer. You will probably not buy another headsail during your ownership of the boat so get what you want and don't decide based on a couple hundred bucks one way or another.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2015 :  07:14:25  Show Profile
I won't get a sun protector on my next genoa - a sock makes more sense to me. A sock doesn't degrade sail shape and is cheaper to replace.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2015 :  09:46:06  Show Profile
I also use a sock without a UV strip. Benefits are a much lighter sail that won't collapse when the wind is light. Socks are easily replaced, Not so with UV strips, The new sail will cost less. The sail stays much cleaner not being exposed to the rain/dirt. Down side is it takes an extra 5min. to put the boat away. Worth the trade off IMO.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2015 :  09:47:36  Show Profile
Socks can be super annoying to manage in the wind. Even when the compression lines are pulled tight they have a way of getting a little loose and flogging in the wind.

They are great if racing, but for cruising a dacron cover is a lot easier to manage. I doubt that anyone is racing with a CDI furler. On a dacron sail a dacron sail cover doesn't give up a lot of performance.

JanS48: 130-135 is a good size if you only carry one headsail. If you carry two then a 100-110 and 145-155 makes a good combo and covers a very wide wind range. All of the boats that I sail on regularly do headsail changes to match the wind.

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2015 :  09:52:28  Show Profile
Also, on a 25' boat dealing with the sock is about as much work as just dropping and flaking the sail (especially if you store it in a jib bag on deck, so it can stay hanked on).

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2015 :  15:32:21  Show Profile
quote:
Anyone by chance have a used jib in good condition that will work with my CDI furler?

I have a good condition 135% RF sail that I used with my CDI furler. Made by North Sails. All of the stitching on the outside edge of the sun cover has been replaced with Gortex UV thread. Asking $325.00. If you are interested, email d*w*j*902@*hot*mail.com (with *'s removed)

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2015 :  18:30:37  Show Profile
Davy, sent you a note if he passes on the sail.

Tim

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX

Edited by - TEM58 on 03/11/2015 20:01:16
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2015 :  05:42:37  Show Profile
I currently have a 150 on a furler with Sunbrella UV cover strips. I plan to go to a 135 with a sacrificial light weight strip in lieu of the Sunbrella. In light air my jib is way to heavy due to the Sunbrella strips.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2015 :  06:23:34  Show Profile
A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=155362

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.

Stu
1986 C34 #224 "Aquavite"
Cowichan Bay, BC Maple Bay Marina
(formerly San Francisco)
(formerly C25 #2459 "Capricorn Two")
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2015 :  08:26:31  Show Profile
As I understood it, my 130 was essentially the same sail as a 135, but with a higher clew for better visibility--a cruising sail. Some sail-maker once told me that was the common difference between the "0" (110, 130, 150, etc.) and "5" (135, 155) sails, since the higher clew made the LP measurement shorter. Your vendor can confirm or deny...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  11:17:12  Show Profile
Dave, that's not "universal" and you're right to suggest checking with sail makers.

The ONLY measurement that confirms the "size" of a jib based on % is the LP, luff perpendicular.

For example: Our racers here on SF Bay are limited to 130s. ALL of them have low cut deck sweepers.

I happen to have a 110% made by Leading Edge, a local loft. This sail came with our boat. It was cut high, which simply means the clew is high off the deck. I could just as well have a 110% deck sweeper, the LP would be the same, but the leech and foot would be different dimensions. The luff length has nothing to do with LP measurement.

Luff perpendicular and jib "sizing," I have found, is one of the least understood and most often incorrectly discussed term in sailing.

An exaggeration, but, think of it this way: if you put your jib on UPSIDE DOWN, you'd still have the SAME LP and %, but the clew would be "just a tad" higher.

A Google search on luff perpendicular and some sail makers websites would explain it, it's basically triangles from high school math (oh, no!).

PS --- If you look at the Spring 2015 issue of Mainsheet magazine, page 4, you'll see our boat, #224, with its high clew jib. Other C34s on page 5 in the racing division have low clews on their 130s. The advertisement on page 5 for fx sails shows what I would consider a low clew on a large genoa, on what appears to be a Catalina 28.

Stu
1986 C34 #224 "Aquavite"
Cowichan Bay, BC Maple Bay Marina
(formerly San Francisco)
(formerly C25 #2459 "Capricorn Two")

Edited by - Stu Jackson C34 on 03/20/2015 11:16:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page