Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Trailer Hitch Inspection
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/02/2015 :  04:42:58  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
JD's Trailer is 10 years old, it has an Extension tube with Coupler for launching on shallow ramps.

Anticipating a launch this coming weekend on a shallow ramp, I inspected the hitch coupler... not good!

Anyone with a trailer might want to take a peek from underneath the coupler and inspect it for corrosion.

It looked pretty good on the outside, the locking lever was a bit corroded.

But underneath! Out of sight! Totally rusted out! there is no way that would hold onto the hitch ball!

So... New Coupler, New Ball & Mount, new Locks and new pin (locks tube in one of three extension lengths.)

Ready to go!

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2015 :  07:16:19  Show Profile
Very good information. Most folks that pull boats never grease the hitch area.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2015 :  05:11:18  Show Profile
So this is a result of launching in salt water? Your trailer is not galvanized?

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2015 :  05:20:57  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Our Trailer is heavy galvanized, it's in great condition despite being dunked at least 12 times a year for 10 years in salty south florida waters.

We rinse the trailer after every dunk, but never thought to rinse the underside of the coupler.

We did a major trailer overhaul 2 years ago, new brakes, axles, primary coupler, electrical connection (trailer to truck), restraint cables, bearings and upgraded to LED lights. It should be good for another 10 years.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2015 :  07:58:05  Show Profile
Definitely good information. One of the advantages of fresh water, I guess. My C22 trailer is OEM with the boat, 1975. Wesco brand (I think Frank Butler had an interest in that company), painted steel. It's been painted a few times over the years, and I do occasionally grease the ball. I've also had to replace the bunk boards a few times and the carpet many times. I had the original coupler on it until last year when I added Tie-Down Engineering brakes to the trailer; had to change out the coupler to an actuator. Took it to a welding shop for that part of the job, did the hub to brakes change-out myself. The coupler was on the captive slide-out extension tube, which is a smaller tube than the actuator required, so the reason for going to the welding shop was to have the old coupler cut off and spacers welded on to increase the width of the tube for the actuator. Also, holes had to be drilled in the now-wider tube to secure the actuator. I didn't want it welded on like the coupler was, and the installation instructions recommended bolt mounting only.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 03/06/2015 08:17:58
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2015 :  08:16:35  Show Profile
By the way, I know that many of you with C25 trailers use a 2 5/16" ball, but for anyone interested in a heavier duty 2" ball and mount, Curt sells a 2" ball and mount rated to 8,000 lbs. My C25 trailer took a 2" ball. The guy who sold it to me had to replace the actuator before I picked it up and he put a 2" actuator on it. Worked fine the few times I hauled out the boat

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2015 :  08:32:41  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Paul's right... sometimes the couplers actuators aren't galvanized... and are first to rust out. Either way one should inspect them and the safety chains, and get this, the safety chain attachment points.

I've had 6 boat trailers and have had the safety chains save my keester on 3 of them. One was a failed coupler. One was a failed bolt in an extending tongue, one was a poor hitch up (not by me). Safety chains are your last line of defense, make sure they are up to snuff too. its the differece between a busted up trailer tongue and a totaled boat.

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2015 :  09:07:47  Show Profile
Agreed, safety chains are vital. I had the coupler come off the ball once (probably my fault) going through an uneven intersection. The chains kept the rig attached and the skid loop under the tongue saved the front of the trailer.
I also saw a C22 trailer come off the ball at a very steep launch ramp at Privateer Yacht Club outside Chattanooga. The driver had only one safety chain attached with an open-style hook. The parking lots are a good 40 ft. higher than the lake. The boat and trailer weight straightened out the hook and the boat/trailer took off down the ramp. Fortunately for the boat owner, there is a turn and dirt embankment at the bottom of the ramp (it's wide enough after the turn for side-by-side launching), and the boat/trailer hit the embankment and stopped, traveling a total of I'm guessing maybe 30-40 ft. Amazingly, the rudder and outboard were not damaged, but it did break the tiller, which must have been slammed into the cockpit seatback! It was an amazing and scary thing to watch.

DavidP

Edited by - dmpilc on 03/06/2015 09:15:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page