Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Opinions on the Mercury 9.9
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/19/2015 :  14:23:18  Show Profile
I have been searching for nearly a year for a used Tohatsu or Nissan 9.9 with an XL shaft and elec start to no avail. I have however discovered a fresh water 99 Mercury 9.9 XL with manual start for $800. He claims the only issue he's had is a rough run condition and a new thermostat fixed it. Anyone here have experience with the 9.9 Mercs? After looking for so long I may just go the manual start route even though I really didn't want to.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  14:35:39  Show Profile
I had a 1979 Merc 7.9 w/ electric start for about 25 years, and admit that I was not kind to it with respect to maintenance. It always started so easily that I stopped using the elect start. It started with 1-2 pulls. It was very reliable. Although it was 20 years older than the one you're considering, it was probably the same basic engine.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  15:23:31  Show Profile
If it's a 4-stroke, I believe it's a Tohatsu powerhead, which Merc started using sometime in the mid-90s.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  15:58:31  Show Profile
I had an original 9.9hp Mercury 2-stroke Saildrive on my boat when I purchased it. I really liked the tiller mounted controls. When it crapped out, I later purchased a new 9.8hp Tohatsu. It didn't have the tiller mounted controls, but started and ran flawlessly with the exception of needing two carb cleanings.

So here is my advice: Beg, borrow or steal the extra 1400.00 and buy a new Tohatsu 9.8hp XL shaft w/electric start.

Over the next few years the extra money spent will long be forgotten, but the reliability, and ease of use will be remembered. Plus... later, the resale value of your boat will offset any current savings on a used motor.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  18:50:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

...So here is my advice: Beg, borrow or steal the extra 1400.00 and buy a new Tohatsu 9.8hp XL shaft w/electric start.....

Darn it. That's what the voice inside my head has been telling me.
I have been resisting but as we get closer to spring I was about to give in and purchase whatever it took to get this off my mind and the boat in the water.

It may be a non-sailing year for us as we save for a new outboard. A lot of things have hit us in the last 10 months or so but I suppose it's a good time to take care of the little things and have it ready for whatever we decide to purchase later.

Thanks.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...
Go to Top of Page

LVjimmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  20:32:58  Show Profile
I have a 2007 Merc 9.9 4 stroke. I haven't had it long but the previous owner only siphoned the oil out to change it. Since the motor doesn't have a filter Mercury says that the oil must be drained. Since the previous owner didn't do this the motor, up to the oil pump ,was filled with sludge requiring me to clean it out and replace the oil pump on it's first outing. Since then, 1 year ago, it has worked fine until it had a carb issue which I'm still working on. Talking to people around the marina they seem to like the Merc motors and yes mine is a tohatsu power head. It is nice having the gear selector and the throttle on the same control on the tiller handle. By the way the engine had zero "0" oil pressure for 20 to 30 minutes before I pulled it.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  21:55:58  Show Profile
Part of what I hope that little voice is saying is "4-stroke!" The pluses are quiet, smooth, smoke-free, and no mixing of oil. (Push-button start is the icing...) The only minus I can think of is the carb is more finely jetted than in a 2-stroke, so "stuff" can clog it a little more easily. My solution was an external Racor fuel filter/water separator.

If you don't plan on actually going anywhere, this might not be so important. But sailors who go to places generally admit they use their motors over 50% of the time to get there (or back)--it's either no wind, wind on the nose, or something. A nice 4-stroke makes it a lot more pleasant.

Scaling up just a little (225 vs 8), my current 4-stroke is a little like driving an Acura, which is where the engine comes from. (Occasionally it's like an Acura off-road in a heavy rainstorm...) Sorry--I realize this is a sailing forum...

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/19/2015 21:58:16
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2015 :  11:18:35  Show Profile
I have been very happy with my Merc 9.9 Bigfoot. I, too, had a carb problem that was quickly resolved. A jet nozzle cracked. It probably gunked up and then froze and expanded in seriously sub-zero weather. I have had no other problems and now have a Racor filter/water trap in the system. The bad part was discovering the problem in Florida with no option of addressing it myself and where the shop rate is $20/hr higher than Port Clinton, OH

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2015 :  11:41:55  Show Profile
I was going to buy the Tohatsu when I sold my 9.9 2 stroke (I actually fixed it before selling, unlike many), but I took the Online Outboards Tohatsu price to WM and they knocked $700 - $800 of the Mec price. I can actually hear someone hailing me on VHF without throttling back now.

Edit: When I fixed the Johnson, the admiral suggested that maybe it was time for a quiet 4 stroke. When I priced the motors, she said "as long as these motors seem to last maybe you should get exactly what you want." can't argue with the admiral

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 02/20/2015 11:47:28
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2015 :  21:49:54  Show Profile
Yup! Figure the difference divided by the number of days you'll be out there over the next 15 years, and then decide whether it's worth it.

(Hint: It probably is. Bottom paint will probably cost you more.)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2015 :  10:54:51  Show Profile
Hey guys, the Tohatsu 9.8 hp 25" shaft electric start outboard in on sale now through tomorrow from Online Outboards for $2,100.00 w/free shipping. That's only about $50 more than I paid for my Nissan 9.8 hp 25" shaft electric start motor over 5 years ago. Seems like a good deal! I don't know if they still give a discount id you buy through the C-25 association.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2015 :  11:39:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc
[br...I don't know if they still give a discount id you buy through the C-25 association.
The used to. At the least, they should give the association a commission on the sales!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2015 :  11:52:27  Show Profile
Still there in the members discount area
Online outboards
8hp - 9.8hp: $50.00 OFF PUBLISHED OUR PRICES

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2015 :  15:05:41  Show Profile
Hi all, A question on the Tohatsu. I believe they have the option of remote controls. If I get a new outboard for Wind Dancer, that would be a great plus. No more hanging over the transom.
Anyone know anything about the controls?

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2015 :  22:26:49  Show Profile
Hi Jay... I recall you just bought the boat last month, so let's assume you don't have a lot of sea time on her (in Rhode Island in February)... And you mentioned an outboard--assuming it is operable, I would suggest you go with that for a while and decide how onerous its controls are.

In some bigger boats without steering wheels, I've found the inboard controls on the side of the cockpit seat to be annoying to the point of dangerous. If there's a wheel, the controls can be on the pedestal, but if not, then where? The C-25 cockpit is relatively narrow.

Another option is the Mercury, which uses the twist-throttle on the tiller to shift F-N-R. Some Yamaha models have a shift lever on a long tiller. My Honda had it on the front of the cowl--pretty easy to reach--and the tiller was long.

Ashaway... I smuggle wine into CT from there. Where will your boat be kept?

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/23/2015 22:27:53
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2015 :  16:29:37  Show Profile
Look at Tohatsu, Mercury, Yamaha, and Honda and see which you like the best. Each has the shift lever in a different position, Tohatsu and Honda in front of the engine cowl, Mercury incorporated in the twist throttle, and Yamaha on the tiller behind/beside the twist throttle. Look at the respective weights and prop options as well.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page