Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 GoPro on the bow
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indecentseas
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/03/2015 :  00:50:44  Show Profile
I recently got a handlebar mount for my GoPro. I attached it to the bow and filmed an afternoon sail. The hour long video is kind of like one of those videos of a firedog burning. I just put it on in the background.

What a great start to the year in Vancouver. I had several sailing days like this through January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90vAoA9c1CM&list=UUMAxcvAtwIvlYFnLeZaOxSw

David Hopkins
Vancouver, British Columbia
'78 Swing Keel, Standard Rig, Dinette

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  04:41:32  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Very nice ! I enjoyed your movie !!

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  09:47:17  Show Profile
David - great video, clever idea...just wondering if I saw things correctly, but it seems that the shrouds are really loose, or is that just the video?

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  14:38:17  Show Profile
Looks really lose to me
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  17:46:14  Show Profile
I'd be nervous the leeward upper shroud would come of the tip of the spreader.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2015 :  04:40:01  Show Profile
Checked out the video as well, it is relaxing to simply watch...I can almost feel the boat motion. ahhhhh.

As to looseness of the rigging, I would agree, while it may not be as dire as some believe. This is based solely on looking at amount of movement in what appears to be light wind. I found going around to some of the more active sailors and racers, and check their rigging tensions. Keep in the same wire size range to feel deflection amounts at shoulder level. Search for rig tuning, and you can find a plethora of information.

Thanks for sharing Dave!

s/v No Worries, O'Day 28
PO Moe'Uhane - C25 SR/FK #1746
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2015 :  07:31:03  Show Profile
quote:
I'd be nervous the leeward upper shroud would come of the tip of the spreader.

Depends on the condition of the SS seizing wire. With the stays that loose and I imagine the mast being able to sway, I would be more concerned about the forces on the mast plate. Also on a lesser note the kink in the port side aft lower.
EDIT, I'm sorry, You posted a very nice video and took us out for a nice sail with you. We should shut up and sit down and enjoy the ride. Most of us are looking at 1-2ft of snow. Thank You!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 02/04/2015 07:47:12
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2015 :  11:32:38  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
That's what happens when you post a pic or video. At least most of the criticism is constructive! :)

I have the same conversation with my mcgregor friend. His rigging is slack. the mast flops from side to side. Doesn't believe me that it is a problem because , in his words, he has a trailer sailer. Of course every time the rigging tightens up it shock loads the fittings. Also alternately tightening and loosening the wire does not help. From what I read the wire should be slightly pre-streched. so it does not move so much.

BTW: he has already lost his forestay once, doesn't see the connection.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page