Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Dry Tortugas??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jduck00
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/02/2015 :  07:31:34  Show Profile
Hey Fellows,

I'm planning a summer sail in the keys and I've thought about adding Dry Tortugas to the list of stops. It looks like its about 50 miles from Mooney Harbor. Have any of you guys made that sail? Any concerns about making the trip, currents, crazy weather patterns or the such? Also, I'm launching from Key Largo or at least that's the plan. I would like to catch up with some of you Miami guys.

I had planned this trip last year, but instead just moved to Florida. Now the keys are pretty easy drive down.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2015 :  09:19:40  Show Profile
I have not sailed to the Dry Tortugas, but from most of the guide books I've read, it's about 70 miles from Key West and that there are no provisions between KW and DT. And there are none at DT. So you would need to be self-sufficient for the 140 mile round trip.

The 42' Bayfield docked next to me made the trip directly from Tampa Bay. He said it took about 38 hours to get there from here.

In October I sailed down to Key West in the Gemini, we went down the coast stopping along the way and made one overnight passage from Goodland to Marathon. And then sailed from Marathon to Key West. On the return trip there were a couple of days that I would not have wanted to be in the C25. From KW to Marathon we had 6'-7' seas that would have made the C25 buck like a wild horse.

So any way, you would need to be self-sufficient and able to wait out any rough weather on either end of the trip.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2015 :  15:24:15  Show Profile
One thing I forgot to mention. We stayed at Key West Bight Marina, the Dry Tortugas Ferry leaves just a short walk from there. You could just leave the boat in the marina and take the ferry.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2015 :  20:45:46  Show Profile
Leave late evening and arrive in daylight. You would definitely want a long weather window. I would like to do it in the future. No water, no nothing available in the Tortugas. Taking the ferry means arriving mid morning and leaving late afternoon. You can camp, bring everything you need and take it back, strike and police your campsite around 0800. Having your boat would make it much nicer. Still, take the ferry once to get an idea of what you're undertaking

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2015 :  22:51:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

Leave late evening and arrive in daylight.

Is there a light on the Dry Tortugas that is visible for 30-40 miles? If so, that would make navigation at night very easy (and reassuring!).

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  06:07:40  Show Profile
quote:
Is there a light on the Dry Tortugas that is visible for 30-40 miles?

Loggerhead Lighthouse is what you seek..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_Tortugas_Light

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  08:57:59  Show Profile
You could also anchor off the Marquesas, Mooney Harbor Key, for a night to split the 60ish nm trip into two roughly equal days, 20ish and 30ish nm. You really want some light for the early part of the trip and D.T. entry. Again, you need a good weather window in boats like ours. You will need a dingy. Navigate carefully - damaging seagrass is about $100/sq. yard and coral about $150 - $300, depending on your location.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 02/03/2015 09:31:06
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2015 :  07:30:38  Show Profile
I might just take the Ferry the first time. I guess it really depends on the weather window. I've been looking at Mooney harbor as well. It looks like a nice stopping off point. I've been doing some reading up on it and its a trip I definitely want to take, just might not do it the first time.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2015 :  08:21:52  Show Profile
You may have all ready come across this publication, but if not, I'll recommend it. It covers most of the state of Florida including the Okeechobee Waterway and some info on the Bahamas as well:

Florida Cruising Directory

I buy a new copy every few years. It's nice to have on the boat to make alternate plans in case of weather or time constraints. And while some what dated, I also have a copy of Frank Papy's Cruising Guide to the Florida Keys. It has a few anchorages listed that the other books do not.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page