Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Tips on how to clean/polish deck and hull
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gerardolau
1st Mate

Member Avatar

78 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/19/2015 :  08:13:04  Show Profile
Hello captains..
I would like to do some major cleaning on the hull and deck of my c250 wb.
I have a couple of questions and comments and advices are welcome..
The cockpit and hull gelcoat have stains.. I bought a "hull cleaner" shoreline marine brand.. Can I use sandpaper to remove stains? There are some like, 'green' spots that look like fongus.. Do I rub it out with sand papaer or just a sponge or cotton towel?
How about below the waterline.. Can I apply the hull cleaner there?
For polishing the hull and cockpit, cam I polish below the waterline as well?
Thanks for comments and tips or advice..
This is my first boat I bought it bout five months ago.. And all of this is new for me..
Thanks

Edited by - on

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2015 :  08:39:01  Show Profile
I have used this product with excellent results. Be sure to have gloves, glasses and mask. It is powerful stuff.

This thread on sailnet has everything you need to know. I originally found it here on this forum:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

Some diluted bleach in a spray bottle can also be very helpful.

Do you have bottom paint?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2015 :  08:47:43  Show Profile
Geraldo, No sandpaper. I have found over the counter cleaners with a scrub brush work well. Others will chime in here. As for below the waterline I've used an acidic cleaner bought in West Marine[ON/Off hull and bottom cleaner. You will need gloves and respirator and your body covered. I also have a 3000 psi spayer wich works the nuts with any cleaner. But the hull cleaner is very bad stuff but works on Algae etc. Others will chime in. Also, I do not wax the any part of the walking areas [corregated] just wash. Hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

gerardolau
1st Mate

Members Avatar

78 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2015 :  11:57:38  Show Profile
Yes its bottom painted.. Blue..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2015 :  13:30:12  Show Profile
Do not get the hull cleaner on the bottom paint!. Do not get the hull cleaner on a Galvanized trailer!. No you can not polish the bottom paint below the waterline(Bottom paint area). You can apply the hull cleaner to bear fiberglass without any harm and it does work like magic in removing some types of stains.Read the bottle. The green stuff is probably algae so a simple bleach/water solution and a brush will take care of it. Black streaks are tough and I have never found a home remedy for them so 'Black Streak Remover' from the boat store works best for me. For a good overall boat wash I use Zep House Wash concentrate for powerwashers but I just put it in a spray bottle and use a brush (Home Depot). It works better than any boat wash that I have tried and is not expensive. Oh yea, NO SANDPAPER! Happy cleaning!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2015 :  13:45:48  Show Profile
I agree that sandpaper is not called for in most cases. But in the case of severely oxidized finishes like might be found in Florida or Mexico, 2000 grit wet sandpaper might sometimes be the appropriate first step in a multi-step sand-compound-polish-glaze-wax restoration job.

I will say that I have used 2000 grit sandpaper to restore my C250's boot stripe from a highly chalked blue color to Catalina's original deep navy color. Without the sanding, nothing was able to cut into the oxidation sufficiently.

I also did a full wet sand of my 15' Phantom sailing dinghy as a first step of its restored finish.

I have also used similar paper to smooth out chipped gelcoat repairs, followed by appropriate polishing and waxing.

When properly done, wet sanding is a useful tool for restoring gelcoat. In fact, there are cases where you cannot restore a high lustre without it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

gerardolau
1st Mate

Members Avatar

78 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  21:55:36  Show Profile
Thanks everybody for the tips

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2015 :  08:07:23  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Once you get it clean... apply Starbright non skid sealer to the non skid areas. It will stop the collection of dirt, moisture and ultimately mildew to the non skid areas and last for many years.

Arlyn C-250 W/B #224

N/E Texas and Great Lakes
Arlyn's Sailing Site
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2015 :  17:17:44  Show Profile
My favorite product for cleaning the hull is Davis FSR. It's the blue goo. I actually paint it over the stains with a chip brush, wait 5 minutes and rinse it while rubbing with a terry towel. If anything remains I will do it again. It won't harm your gelcoat, but it WILL remove any wax and so rewaxing the area is critical. Once I have it cleaned and waxed, I buff in two coats of Starbrite wax with PTEF over the entire hull (except obviously where it's bottom painted). I make sure there's about a week between these coats. The hull of my 2003 250, that spends every season in salt water, still looks brand new.

Edgy, WB#655
Dewey Beach, DE
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page