Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast Base Blocks (Lewmar 60mm Syncro)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/02/2015 :  08:35:09  Show Profile
I am looking into purchasing a number of swivel blocks for all of my control lines to go on the mast plate from CD I will be installing shortly and wanted some recommendations for blocks being there are so many out there. Halyards are 5/16" and most the other lines (reefing, boom vang, cunningham, etc..) will be 1/4". Ideally I wanted to do an entire matching set to keep the mast base looking clean but with the prices of some blocks I had considered two expensive strong ones for the halyards and maybe something a bit cheaper for all the other lines. What has everyone else done?
I just saw this block that might be a real good match at a decent price. What do you think?

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewmar--60mm-synchro-single-block--13061833

Got a good connection at West Marine so I could probably pick up the whole lot for pretty cheap.

Edited by - on

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2015 :  09:20:38  Show Profile
I don't know how you'd calculate the load on a line without using a $1,000. load cell, but logically, you should never have to tension the main halyard on a C25 with a winch. When I needed to put maximum tension on the main halyard, I sat on the boom, so the most load you should ever experience on the main halyard is roughly 200-250 lbs.

You do generally use a winch to tension the jib, but, making a wild guess, I doubt that the load on the jib halyard block would ever exceed twice that.

IMO, the Lewmar block you are looking at should do the job easily.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2015 :  09:42:15  Show Profile
http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=5022

I went with the Harken Part # 168

but I think the

http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=5635&taxid=424

Would work as well.. I think the prices at west marine were around $28

I'd have rather gone with the Lewmar.. it looks cooler but my local west marine never has the Lewmars in stock..

I could not find even three that matched...

If I had to do the job all over again, I'd probably have drilled some more holes and moved the mast plate forward to clear the lines from the pop top when it is up. Only the front hole on the plate on either side will keep the lines far enough forward.

I think mine the blocks are rated at #1000 and the swivel at #300 lbs.

Either way I don't see these failing even using a wench..

Edited by - redeye on 01/02/2015 09:49:18
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2015 :  09:55:12  Show Profile
So.. nobody mentioned that with the poptop up the front edge of the poptop would literally cut into the lines..

I'd guess it does not happen on internal halyards ( mine are external ) but I would not know.

Anyhoo.. you can always make a cutout on the front edge of the poptop... I did for one of the halyards, so if they get to wiggling in heavy breeze they will not cut themselves on the front edge of the pop top.

Just a small cut on the poptop and some gellcoat to smooth out the edge that comes close to the line.

I added a cheek block on the mast to run the forward reefing line forward a bit.

Anyhoo.. my experiences on LeeKey.

Edited by - redeye on 01/02/2015 09:56:57
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2015 :  10:59:04  Show Profile
I will definitely keep in mind to mount it far enough forward to help prevent the pop-top from hitting the lines. However, if im putting the pop-top up chances are I won't need tension on the lines because I will be at anchorage or posted up. Should be able to just release all of the clutches, put the pop top up, then lock the lines back in. Maybe some sort of padding along the front edge so no chafing occurs.

I ordered the WarpSpeed for my halyards from fisheries supplies that Awetmore posted in another thread. Excited for them to arrive!

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/samson-rope-warpspeed-beige-with-blue-tracer

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2015 :  13:52:53  Show Profile
David,

I'd take a look at an earlier post http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1& TOPIC_ID=28365& . I used a turning block at the base of my mast, led to a deck organizer 45 degrees to center line of the boat then to a rope clutch. It works terrific and makes it easy to single hand (assuming a roller furler). No problems with the pop top interfering with this set up. I have no problems raising the main with no winch, and then dropping into lazy jacks. My clutches are near the cockpit /cabin corner near the grab rail.

Edited by - Kim Luckner on 01/02/2015 13:56:15
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2015 :  16:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3"><font color="navy">Here is a very old pasted up photo of Peregrine's triple clutches.
The triple organizers are way out by the hand rails keeping them away from the pop top and lined up with the clutches that also clear the pop top.
Peregrine has triples port and starboard.
The blocks are just a hodge podge of blocks I had around it would be nice replace them with new ones.
</font id="navy"></font id="size3"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2015 :  21:32:40  Show Profile
I appreciate everyone's help but all that work is already finished, just selecting the blocks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  03:44:07  Show Profile
Single Blocks with Adjustable Shackle25-13 US - Stainless Steel Blocks length: 4-1/4 width: 2
weight: 5 oz shackle: 3/16
sheave diameter: 1-3/4Comes with set screw to make it fixed shackle. Safe working load is 1150 lbs.$23.00

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=14

This is what I used

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  05:01:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hewebb

Single Blocks with Adjustable Shackle25-13 US - Stainless Steel Blocks length: 4-1/4 width: 2
weight: 5 oz shackle: 3/16
sheave diameter: 1-3/4Comes with set screw to make it fixed shackle. Safe working load is 1150 lbs.$23.00

This is what I used

So I really like those! And they match my deck organizers. I might have to go with them. How difficult are they to adjust?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  11:03:34  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; garhauer &gt;&gt;

Sweet.. I agree.. those look nice. I think the adjustable aspect is simply tightening the screw to make it non-swiveling.

Thanks everyone for posting.. I see that my deck cheek blocks were mounted too far aft, which made the line run closer to the pop top.

I was trying to get them back within the rail and out of the way of footing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  20:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hewebb

This is what I used

Here's what those Garhauer blocks look like in place, so you can visualize what your setup will look like. These are mostly 25's, but the two most forward on the right are 30's. Garhauer blocks will last forever, which can't be said about the blocks with composite cheeks. I have some Lewmars that are already showing signs of degradation - they'll be OK for some years to come, but they won't last anywhere near as long as the Garhauers.

By the way, it may look like a cluster f*** but I put a lot of thought into it beforehand and there are no conflicts (although you'd have to see it in 3D or real life to believe me).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 01/04/2015 :  08:58:57  Show Profile
Lee,

Can you identify the lines you have shown. I'm curious as to their function. I think I count 8 heading aft.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/04/2015 :  14:08:57  Show Profile
I ended up going with the stainless garhaur blocks. Now waiting for the 6 of them to get here.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2015 :  19:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kim Luckner

Lee,

Can you identify the lines you have shown. I'm curious as to their function. I think I count 8 heading aft.

Sorry about the delay, Kim; I've been battling a post-Holidays "cold" that became more than that.

Here's what that mess around the base of my mast is all about (referring to the picture above). The red/white vang should be evident. To its right, the red/yellow line is the internal outhaul. Next to the right is the Amsteel reefing line. Then the main halyard in green. Farthest to the right is an accessory most people would not bother with: it exits the forward side of the mast about 15" below the truck and then goes through a fairlead so it can be pulled to either side without chafing on the edges of the exit block. It serves several purposes: most often it's just a topping lift for the whisker pole; using the whisker pole as a gin pole it becomes a derrick for hoisting the dinghy onto the foredeck; one of these days I'll reinforce the foredeck and install an anchor point, and then it become sort of a solent stay to hoist a wire-luffed storm jib.

Here's another view:

The blue line is the boom down-haul (I've got a sliding gooseneck), and the lower block of the 4:1 tackle is clipped to the upper hounds. To its left is the main topping lift in green. Then there are two 1/4" lines that run over the two forward sheaves on the truck. One is a spin halyard and the other is an auxilliary halyard "just in case". I expect to use it for yanking the sock off the asym while I remain close to the tiller, although I'm working on another use for it (I'll explain if it works out, but that's still some time away).

BTW, the electrical cable from the mast is still unconnected in this picture; that's the white tube with the black "liquid electrical tape" on the end.

Here's a link to other pix. I hope you can find something that stimulates your own creativity:

http://panza.smugmug.com/MYSAILBOAT/The-Boat-Renovation

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2015 :  06:42:23  Show Profile
nice setup Lee.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2015 :  21:00:43  Show Profile
Thanks Lee

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page