Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Tiller Handle restoration
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rainwater
Deckhand

Member Avatar

22 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/26/2014 :  21:03:29  Show Profile
So winter is here and I have started doing some of the repairs and upgrades on my bucket list. The tiller handle was starting to show its age, not real bad, but starting to peel in some areas and turn grey. There is a spot about 1 1/2 inches long along the front edge thats starting to come apart. I'll clamp and epoxy that all back together tomorrow. Besides that, I stripped all the old finish off tonight, sanded it down and the rest of it is still in pretty nice shape.

My question is, what type of finish do I need to put on it? Spar Varnish?

I pretty sure its not teak, its the typical multilayer ones that looks like maybe ash and mahogany?

Edited by - Rainwater on 12/26/2014 21:12:27

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2014 :  21:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Rainwater

So winter is here and I have started doing some of the repairs and upgrades on my bucket list. The tiller handle was starting to show its age, not real bad, but starting to peel in some areas and turn grey. There is a spot about 1 1/2 inches long along the front edge thats starting to come apart. I'll clamp and epoxy that all back together tomorrow. Besides that, I stripped all the old finish off tonight, sanded it down and the rest of it is still in pretty nice shape.

My question is, what type of finish do I need to put on it? Spar Varnish?

I pretty sure its not teak, its the typical multilayer ones that looks like maybe ash and mahogany?

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3"><font color="navy">The only piece of wood I use varish on is the tiller but it lives under a sunbrella cover all summer. Worth buying the cover if you use varnish.
I use McCloskey Spar Varnish.

</font id="navy"></font id="size3"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Rainwater
Deckhand

Members Avatar

22 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2014 :  22:59:24  Show Profile
Thats cool rope work Peregrine! I do have an old cover for it but it is ripped and torn, thats another item on the bucket list for this winter, to try my hand at sewing one up. looks simple enough. I couldnt wait until tomorrow to fix the splitting portion, Have the tiller clamped and setting up now. I decided to try gorilla glue, its supposed to be able to be used with varnish and is water proof and sandable. We will see how it holds up and looks after finishing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2014 :  19:49:14  Show Profile
I'm a Cetol guy, but the tiller needs a hard, varnish finish. Polyethylene finish feels yucky on the hand, so I second your preferred spar varnish.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  12:22:24  Show Profile
Same here - Cetol everywhere else but spar varnish on the tiller. I sand it down and take out the chips and cracks every year, then hit it with 4-6 coats. I added a rope covering (not as nice as John G's ropework however) around the base where the tiller hits the transom when flailing. Keeps the chipping to a minimum. I run a line under 15-30 wraps of 3/16" cotton line, then snug it all down tying the ends together. I've got to check Ashley's Book of Knots to figure out how to tie a Turks Head like John's.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Rainwater
Deckhand

Members Avatar

22 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  16:33:35  Show Profile
anks guys. I have the tiller hanging in the garage soaking up the teak oil at the moment. Been adding oil for the last 2 days. It seems to be pretty saturated now and the wood has darkened up like I like. Going to start the varnish tomorrow. Also started striping and refinishing the rest of the wood on the boat now. Need to try and figure out how to post Picts here on the site.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  21:09:09  Show Profile
There is real satisfaction and pleasure from a well sealed tiller...light sanding between the coats of varnish and wrapping with a cover when at dockside will provide a pride point !

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page