Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Cruise Map
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/17/2014 :  20:23:30  Show Profile
I would like to get a professional cruise map showing a route and all the landmarks and ports visited that would be suitable for framing and hanging on a wall. Does anyone know any printers or anyone that would offer this type of service? (I'm in the Navy and this is actually for a deployment cruise map, I have yet to leave one port for another in my Catalina 25)

Edited by - on

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  05:47:17  Show Profile
I assume the area you will cover may be substantial so a single route map will likely be very small scale, e.g. 1:5,000,000 and thus not show much detail. I'd suggest going to google earth or maps, select "add path" from the menu and then click on the potential destinations you know to draw the path. Obviously this will not represent your actual course but it will allow you to visualize whether a route map at the required scale is what you really are looking for. You could also record your own gps coordinates to create a true course route post cruise. The resultant image(s) can be saved as a *.jpg file and the path as a *.kml file if needed. Alternatively or in addition to, you can use google earth to show details around selected ports and create a journal. Sounds like something you could even market to your buddies.... Good luck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  16:39:29  Show Profile
There's a service at most boat shows that will take any chart you have and turn that chart into a 3D layered wooden wall map or table top using your favorite type of wood. I can't recall their brand name and its not cheap, but the charts are a thing of beauty. (I am not associated with the company that makes them whose name I can't recall for the life of me...)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2014 :  17:22:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

There's a service at most boat shows that will take any chart you have and turn that chart into a 3D layered wooden wall map or table top using your favorite type of wood. I can't recall their brand name and its not cheap, but the charts are a thing of beauty. (I am not associated with the company that makes them whose name I can't recall for the life of me...)

That sounds really kool. Not sure if I can afford something like that, but I will definitely keep an eye out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  10:44:26  Show Profile
[url="http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=22086C&green=E66B503C-33B0-571B-91B7-C1EDB78156A2"]Draw on this...[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  12:33:43  Show Profile
Wooden charts are available from Nautical North www.nnchart.com, Below the Boat http://www.belowtheboat.com or Thomas Baker http://www.thosbaker.com/group/wall-art/type/laser~cut-nautical-charts
A little pricey (or maybe a lot pricey), but NICE!.
Another option is to find large size (C or D size charts) that you can paste down to a backing board - maybe some birch plywood and urethane over it to laminate the chart to the board. You can find an ornate picture frame or mirror frame in an antique or furniture store, or you can make a frame out of mouldings and a mitre jig. Get some gold leaf paint or gold spray-paint to paint the picture frame.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page