Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 ASA Basic Keelboat 101
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/12/2014 :  20:50:05  Show Profile
My wife and I took the 101 course in Key West a few weeks ago through the Southernmost Sailing School. We had great/challenging conditions that really pushed our limits and skills (that's a good thing). It was more of a "continuing ed" class for me but my wife came away with some great skills and understanding of sailing that will make her a real asset on the boat. I definitely recommend some formal training whether self-taught (like me) or just a newbie to sailing. Keep an eye out the article in the Spring issue of Mainsheet.

Regards,

Edited by - on

Admin
Forum Admin

Members Avatar

460 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2014 :  04:01:44  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Brian, great post. I moved it to the General Sailing Forum so that more folks would read it.

Any particular reason you selected that school and that location?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2014 :  08:44:53  Show Profile
Thanks Paul, hope that works.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2014 :  09:54:27  Show Profile
That is a good course. We have a guy here who teaches it, also.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2014 :  11:05:11  Show Profile
My observation over the years is that by far the best way to get spouses into sailing is by having them learn from somebody other than their spouses. Take away the spousal "dynamic" and they relax, learn, and enjoy! I suspect some even hope that they'll learn some things the partners didn't know.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2014 :  12:12:16  Show Profile
Dave, absolutely true. She was actually better at some of the maneuvers than I was. She thought she was going to fail the written test and she scored a 90. I'm definitely going to go on and take 103 & 104. She may or may not depending on the timing. The 101 certainly gave her a good foundation and a great comfort level on the boat even in 20+ knot winds. At times we heeled about 30 degrees and she was just fine, prior to the course 5 degrees would freak her out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2014 :  20:37:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BCG-Woodbury

...At times we heeled about 30 degrees and she was just fine, prior to the course 5 degrees would freak her out.
It's amazing how things change when people get to understand how the boat reacts to the tiller and the mainsheet when they hold them, themselves. And they get to feel how the boat heels to a point of equilibrium, and goes no further. You can't explain it to them--they have to feel it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/25/2014 :  13:19:59  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Brian, thanks for the heads up on this one.

Santa gave my wife and I the ASA 101 with Capt Brad and Sherry in January!!! WoHooooo!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2014 :  10:26:04  Show Profile
Paul - That is great. Where are you staying? I have a few suggestions if you need some ideas. Brad offers to stay on the boat. It is a Hunter 26 with a similar layout to the Capri 25.

Best of luck and have a great time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2014 :  16:22:24  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We're booked into the Westin ($0 using our Amex points)

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2014 :  07:51:46  Show Profile
$0 is always good !

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page