Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 mast plate
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Member Avatar

71 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/04/2014 :  07:28:42  Show Profile
I'm looking to add a mast plate to my 1996 250WB. I looked through the old posts and other forums, but can't seem to find a real good description with photos (still online) that shows me what the process might look like.

Has anyone done this recently? Is there a "how-to" by someone that shows the process with pictures (i'm a visual person)

I've read online that my tabernacle and compression post might be welded together. Can anyone confirm this?

from what i gathered the process should be;

pull the four bolts in the base
squirt some debonding spray all under it
wiggle it gently with a 2x4 to break the seal
scrap like crazy to get the old glue off
check for leaks and damaged wood
if damage, fix with epoxy and redrill holes
attach mast plate, likely needs drilling (no mfg part available), use cobolt bits/cutting oil on drill press
squirt new layer of 4200 all over
put new plate/step in place, slightly tight
let 4200 dry, torque down on bolts to compress

go sail?

The only part that scares me is if the compression post is welded to the tabernacle. I'm not sure what to do and i don't want to open the can of worms and get stuck.

Thanks
- Michael

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  12:34:26  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Michael, our 2005 C250 WB had the base plate part of the mast base, but...

I had to remove our compression post due to a leak beneath the base plate where it fits atop the cabin top.

The method you describe is exactly what I did to remove the compression post and base plate except that ours is through bolted rather than screwed.

I used Butyl tape to seal the area. First I countersunk the bolt holes in the cabin top and the compression post hole in the cabin top. Then I rolled some tape to apply around the bolt holes inside the countersinks. After putting the post back in place but before lowering it to the cabin top, I rolled some tape and applied it round the compression post inside the countersink.

Then I applied more rolled Butyl tape around the outside of the four bolt holes (ie. about 1/4" from the bolt holes), lowered the post and bolted it in place.

I had to rebed my deck organizers as part of the leak finding process, I used Butyl tape there too. Then over a year later, I swapped out the single deck organizers for double sheave deck organizers. The old Butyl tape was still flexible, very glad I did not use 4200 for that type of job.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page