Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Sailing into Tampa Bay
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jduck00
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/16/2014 :  18:31:29  Show Profile
Here's a question for the Tampa sailors.

Do you have to pass through the channel under the sky bridge or are there other areas that can be navigated through?

Il be sailing down from the north in a week or so and really don't want to get into the commercial traffic.

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2014 :  04:03:34  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Jeremy, please post lots of pics and keep us up to date as you 'discover' things.

We're still considering going to the St Pete boat show after the thanksgiving weekend.

And don't forget the [url="/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28784"]2015G2G[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2014 :  05:50:09  Show Profile
When we go out we always go through the main span, however, I think you can pass thru other areas.

I wouldn't worry about commercial traffic, I have never encountered any going thru. You can see any large ships well before you get to the bridge anyway. They have to stay in the channel. You don't.

The funny thing about the Skyway is, is that it's like this giant wall. The wind conditions almost always seem different on the other side once you pass thru.

Where are you going?

Here is a photo of us passing thru wing and wing.

Edited by - Davy J on 11/17/2014 06:09:26
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2014 :  07:58:22  Show Profile
My experience entering and leaving Tampa Bay is from many years ago, when I cruised that area repeatedly on vacation. I'll offer what I can FWIW. I always entered and exited through Egmont channel, and I agree with Davy that the commercial traffic is no reason to be intimidated by it, for the reasons that Davy gave.

Take a look at the chart for the area, here.http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11412.shtml

The chart shows two possible alternatives to Egmont Channel. The first is by entering at Pass-a-Grille channel and following the channel markers generally eastward. I have never entered the Bay that way, but it looks like it's well-marked, although there are a couple places where shallow water abuts the channel. Based on the chart, I wouldn't be reluctant to use it, especially with a swing keel.

The second possible alternative is at Bunces Pass. It is blocked by a fixed bridge with only 20 feet vertical clearance, but, even if you lower your mast, look at the entrance at Bunces Pass. It's very shallow, it is flanked by symbols showing three wrecks, and breakers are indicated just north of it. I stumbled into those breakers when I was young and foolish, and it's a dangerous area that should be avoided by anyone without recent local knowledge.

As I recall, I came back from Clearwater once on a Morgan 38 with about 5' draft via the ICW, starting at Clearwater Harbor, and it was not difficult. I stayed on the ICW all the way to Egmont channel, and entered the Bay there. The wind was from the east and abeam, so I raised the sails as I headed south. When I passed near the Skyway bridge support at the main span, the wind suddenly reversed 180 degrees, backwinded the sails and pulled it toward the bridge support. I released the sheets and started the engine, and regained control of the boat. When you're near the bridge, be aware that it is so big that it can radically change the wind direction. I don't think it happens like that very often, but just be aware that it can, and, if you're under sail, be ready to react if it happens.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2014 :  08:51:18  Show Profile
quote:
The first is by entering at Pass-a-Grille channel and following the channel markers generally eastward. I have never entered the Bay that way, but it looks like it's well-marked

Depending on where you are coming from and where you are going, this route can actually save some time.

Pass-a-Grille channel is wide and well marked. There are two things to keep in mind here. One, Pass-a-Grille is over-run by recreational boats on the weekend. The boat wakes just inside the pass are ridiculous, we call the area the "washing machine". Two, you will need to get Tierra Verde structure "E" bridge to open, which is not a problem. But depending on the tide, current can be flowing in or out pretty fast.

I have gone both ways without problems.

Edited by - Davy J on 11/17/2014 08:57:25
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2014 :  10:58:26  Show Profile
I've got roughly 6 days of sailing that I can get in. We start the trip leaving from Hudson, FL. We plan on stopping at Clear Water Beach for two nights, but I'm still looking at options from there. I'm thinking we will stay around the Tampa Bay area rather than just pushing south and seeing how far we make it. I'm looking at marinas in the bay now, so we will probably sail in from Clear Water on day 3 and stay two nights in the bay. That gives us two days to make the trip back up the coast.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2014 :  11:26:14  Show Profile
Personally, I would skip coming up into the bay. Compared to what is going on along the coast and GICW, there is not a lot of places that are that remarkable. Downtown St. Petersburg may be the exception. It's municipal Marina is right downtown and there are many shops and restaurants.

On most of the trips we take, the first thing to do is get outside of the bay.

Some other notable places to visit are:

Caladesi Island

Johns Pass Boardwalk and Village. (not very many marinas, but there are many things going on, onshore.

Gulfport Municipal marina, ( I have not stayed here, only got fuel) but they advertise weekend events all the time.

Egmont Key light house, you can stop here, but there isn't a marina so you would have to leave time to get elsewhere.

Longboat Pass, no marina, but probably the best anchorage on the west coast. Two restaurants on shore.

And lastly, probably as far south as you might want go with that amount of time is Marina Jack in downtown Sarasota.

There are probably a dozen other places I could recommend, but Tampa Bay itself doesn't have as many interesting places as staying along the coast.

Edited by - Davy J on 11/17/2014 12:00:55
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  18:59:53  Show Profile
Thanks for the info fellows. My sail plans got canceled. The Admiral slipped and sprang her ankle so I'm getting to play nurse this week. Looks like the weather isn't going to be great so maybe I'll just a tackle a couple of todos on the boat list.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page