Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Tow Vehicle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/04/2014 :  20:38:40  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I wanted to share a photo of my new tow vehicle.

I had discovered (after the auction was over with) an ambulance that was being sold via a sealed bid auction. I went ahead and sent in an offer anyhow with an extremely low bid that I thought would get me laughed out of town. Two months later I was notified that my offer had been accepted.

I no longer have to worry if I have enough of a vehicle to tow my C250. The gross combined weight limit of the ambulance and trailer is 20,000 pounds. 10,000 of that can be the trailer. My first stop before putting the boat to bed for the winter was to drive to a truck stop and weigh the rig. The ambulance weighed in at 11,860 pounds and the boat and trailer weighed in at 5,700 pounds.

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2014 :  21:03:42  Show Profile
With the lights and siren, even if your brakes fail, you should be fine!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2014 :  21:06:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

With the lights and siren, even if your brakes fail, you should be fine!

Yeah, no need to stop for red lights!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  02:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Wow that's cool! You can have the complete workshop in the car and if anything gets broken, you can easily fix it on your trip....spare rudders, spare keel.... :-)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  03:51:06  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
That's a cover picture!

Dare I ask, even as the Gas here in SoFla drops below $3.00 per gallon.... MPG?? or is it GPM

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  05:04:45  Show Profile
Convert the inside to a camper, and you are ready to go anywhere.....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  08:22:34  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
quote:
Dare I ask, even as the Gas here in SoFla drops below $3.00 per gallon.... MPG?? or is it GPM

It has a 7.3L Diesel. I have not had it long enough to get real solid MPG numbers. However, what checks I have done so far are showing a little over 10 mpg without the boat and 7 mpg with the boat.

My old E-150 van was getting 12 mpg without the boat and 6 mpg with. Towing with that van would scare the daylights out of me when a truck would pass. The boat would get swaying and yank the van all over the place. With the ambulance, I don't even notice the boat behind me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  11:07:58  Show Profile
I use an F550 Dually with the 7.3 towing our boats and gear for work. I have a trailer attached 90% of the time and the truck/trailer combo is loaded with 10K-14K lbs about 50% of the time. I average 8.3MPG driving in the mountains of Arizona (and my Boss probably gets 5MPG--you should see him drive....CRAZY!)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2014 :  05:08:06  Show Profile
Nice , great work truck too !

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2014 :  05:31:46  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Peggy(Admiral) said I should tell you that she is available if you need a nurse, she has 30 years experience.

And I suggest that you don't break to quickly, else you'll have a bunch of attorneys messing up your rudder!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2014 :  21:44:58  Show Profile
You'll be the talk of the marina with that rig. Ditto DavyJ, should make a dandy camper and spare parts truck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2015 :  17:27:49  Show Profile
Hilarious!

Edgy, WB#655
Dewey Beach, DE
Go to Top of Page

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2015 :  07:51:43  Show Profile
Couldn't help myself.....when I first saw the post all I could think of was how fun(ny) it would be to come up with new names for the boat:

"Ambulance Chaser"
"Code Blue"
"Code White"

(this comes from someone who hasn't named their boat in the coming up 13th season that they have owned their boat)

Steve
C250 WB #702
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page