Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Raymarine instruments
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/04/2014 :  19:08:42  Show Profile
Anyone here using Raymarine instruments? Are you satisfied with them?

Edited by - on

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  02:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
I have Raymarine i40 bidata with all-in-one transducer (depth, speed, temp). I could extend the warranty for 3 years.
The navigating buttons is not very intuitive, but not that hard to learn it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  06:12:19  Show Profile
I have Raymarine ST40 series speed & depth. Depth came with boat and I installed the speed shortly after acquiring the boat. Both have worked without failure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2014 :  20:55:27  Show Profile
I have ST40 bi data instruments for wind speed/direction (true and apparent) and boat speed/depth/water temp and they have been quite reliable and trouble free. I did break the rotator wind vane a couple of years ago when I forgot to take it off nbefore Trailering back from Florida.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2014 :  04:17:32  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
JD has the ST40 Bi Data Instruments also.
The Depth/Temp Transducer & the Speed Transducer are mounted in the well beneath the V-Berth (Water Ballast), the Wind Speed Transducer is mounted on the mast head with the wire coming out of the mast at the base stbd side as a pig tail with two pin connector on the cabin top.

We have replaced the Wind Transducer about 5 years ago and (sent it for repair and Ray Marine replaced it).

The Depth transducer had an issue during the warranty period, Ray Marine replaced it without question.

The speed Transducer has worked without issue over the past 9 years.

The glass bezel on the wind meter cracked (crazed would be more specific) we paid to get that repaired at Ray Marine.

Their Customer Service has been excellent.

The wind transducer is fixed to the mast by a plate but we do not remove it for trailering.

The Depth/Speed/Temp display is mounted on the Pedestal guard while the Wind display is mounted on the Stbd side cabin bulkhead outside visible from the helm. The only issue is that the sheets tend to obscure the face so we have to move them after trimming the jib. The benefit of the wind display in that location is that the sail trimmer can see it.

We have been very pleased with the whole setup, not so pleased by the way the wires were run during the install I would have done a better/neater job.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2014 :  08:38:31  Show Profile
I'm using a Raymarine e7d (plotter), i70 (info display), st70 display (info display), st70 speed (transducer interface), X5 (autopilot), and p70 (autopilot control).

I built my own wind instrument that interfaces with all of this. I also have a Simrad RS35 radio integrated in.

What I like:
* Raymarine has had great customer service for me. My ST70 was purchased used and wouldn't remember settings properly -- they fixed it for me. My e7d was subject to a recall and they shipped me a replacement in a few days.
* Free charts are nice (though they don't have tidal/current data). I already had Navionics Platinum charts and mostly use those
* Build quality, screen readability, are all good.
* I like the hybrid mode display on the e7d, buttons are best when I'm wearing gloves, but touch is easier for random crew to use.
* SeatalkNG (NMEA 2000) cords are small and easy to fit through small places. Standard NMEA 2000 cords are not.
* Power consumption is reasonable.

What I wish it had:
* NMEA over WiFi (Simrad/B&G do)
* More advanced sailing features (B&G has that)

I've had terrible luck with Navico (Simrad/B&G/Lowrance) customer service, so I think I'd still prefer my Raymarine stuff.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2014 :  15:32:34  Show Profile
I have the ST40 wind and depth (i use my GPS for speed) all have worked flawlessly and were a whole lot less than the "60" family of Raymarine products while for our size and type of boats perform the same functions. At the time I looked at the TackTic wireless line, which was pricy -- but have since found that you can find good used systems competitively priced on Ebay or from local racing clubs that racers upgrade from.

Edited by - bigelowp on 11/15/2014 15:33:02
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2014 :  19:18:02  Show Profile
Update:

Discovered that Raymarine does not service/repair any instruments >10 years old. The last time the ST60 series were produced was ~2 years ago . . . so that places the i50 series front and center.

Edited by - OJ on 11/20/2014 14:22:07
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2014 :  18:44:06  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I just discovered this Simrad combo, and while I was leaning towards Raymarine, I think the $500 savings might make sense (I've found this combo just under $1000)... Thoughts?
http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-US/Products/Instruments/IS20-Wind-Combi-Depth-And-Speed-Package-en-us.aspx

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  02:22:44  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Wow this is very nice combo. Price is more than reasonable.
Especially from the photo it looks like the thru-hull instrument is not plastic!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  10:06:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shnool

I just discovered this Simrad combo, and while I was leaning towards Raymarine, I think the $500 savings might make sense (I've found this combo just under $1000)... Thoughts?
http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-US/Products/Instruments/IS20-Wind-Combi-Depth-And-Speed-Package-en-us.aspx

Nice looking package, thanks for sharing John.

My brain is too lazy to get into the technical aspects of products such as these. I rely on the experts (and their passion for electronics) to offer up an opinion.

I looked on Amazon and very few reviews exist. Sailnet compares Simrad and Raymarine autopilots . . .

I may simply ask the guys at Defender, Jamestown.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  10:20:00  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
More info.. I think that simrad combo I linked is now discontinued (shame too looks like a good deal).

I'm now thinking like you folks that the i70 system is likely the route to go (above my pay grade for now). I'd think the right way to do it, would be buy the whole system with triducer, and wind transducer, then at a point down the road add a 2nd display. $1599 for 1 display, triducer, and wind transducer... $450ish for a 2nd display. UGH. I'm having a hard time justifying those costs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  11:55:59  Show Profile
I called the outfitter desk at Defender and asked what instrument company gives them the fewest problems. She gave me a very honest answer by saying any warranty work is transacted directly between the end user and the manufacturer. She did add that far and away their biggest selling instrument brand is Raymarine.

FWIW, as for wind instruments, I guess I'm just too much of a minimalist . I was crewing on a C&C 38 one season that had electronic wind instruments. The leeward spreader came off, we tacked and the mast snapped in two. Long story short, there's something to be said for looking up at a windex - and simultaneously scanning mast hardware.

Edited by - OJ on 11/21/2014 11:57:55
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  12:11:36  Show Profile
If you go to the website "The Find", type in "Raymarine i50" and hit enter, then sort by "lowest price" you will find that Tactical Wholesalers have the best price (I think the Sunk Shop is no more).

You need to look for the units that have the display AND the transducer - together.

As soon as I confirm the holes for my current instruments will be covered by the i50 units, I'm gonna take Santa out for a brew.

Edited by - OJ on 11/21/2014 14:54:33
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  20:37:24  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I'm the guy who can sail with no tales, no windex, etc, so I get what you are saying... however, I see the benefit in seeing true wind angle and speed (yeah sure I can figure it out, but knowing a 3 or 5 degree shift? that's a nuance that my pea brain can't calculate easily), especially to predict lifts, headers faster than the competition. Instruments aren't required, but are welcomed. Just my take.

Although, I had no depth, or knot meter half this season, and I have to say I missed them. I'll add that I forgot my windex when I raised the mast as well, and since I only had 4 more weeks of sailing I didn't bother to lower the mast to put it on. No teltales either... Again I missed my input tools.

Also I spend a lot of time with my head tilted up... I considered it normal, as I started with a racing centerboard boat... so it was "normal," even though the mast height was lower then. I sailed on a friends S2, and he has a basic analog wind gauge, AWA and speed only. In about 30 minutes I began to LOVE not needing to look UP to see whats happening "up there." I am of course already looking up at trailing tales on the main, and forward and up for the genoa tales... Bringing my head back down to boat level, helps to keep eyes forward... so more time looking forward is welcomed.

Edited by - shnool on 11/21/2014 20:41:16
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2014 :  07:40:11  Show Profile
So Santa let me open the Raymarine instrument pack (speed, depth, wind) early in order to register everything and receive the free extended warranty and rebate. Jeez, not only is there a serial number for each display, but also for each transducer and the anemometer. Labels displaying software version, terminal blocks and cables with special connectors. Not sure what I've gotten myself into. Have a neighbor who used to work on military aircraft instruments and is interested in assisting with the installation.

Everything about the product, the website, even the packaging is very high quality.

http://www.raymarine.com/news/mynews.cfm?story=10500

Thanks again for the above recommendations!

Edited by - OJ on 12/16/2014 08:56:28
Go to Top of Page

SailAway
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  10:49:08  Show Profile
I currently have a Raymarine Autohelm st60 Tridata (speed/depth/temp). The depth and temp work just fine but the speed never worked properly. I'm guessing the paddle wheel is messed up. Santa-wife just ordered me a Raymarine a78 Multifunction/Sonar Display with Wi-Fi, 7-Inch (Includes Navionics Gold North America Chart Bundle) to replace the Tridata. I can't wait until spring!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2014 :  15:59:19  Show Profile
Paddle wheel speed transducers are designed to allow you to clean the wheel while the boat is in the water. There is a plug that replaces the transducer temporarily while you clean it.

Speed through water is an important data point if you sail where there are currents, but speed over ground (from GPS) is fine if you are sailing on current-free lakes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2014 :  19:36:51  Show Profile
I have the Raymarine ST40which works very well on my boat. Unless you are into heavy racing they should be adequate . Use your GPS for speed as it is accurate. Speed and angle of sail will depend on how well it is installed. the system works well and the newer instruments i am sure work equally well

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  00:36:01  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I gave myself a present as well... Managed to get the whole kit for $999.. I was worried because it didn't look like they actually had the product, but they did! Great buy in my opinion.

All I know is the simnet from Simrad seemed to be an easier configuration than regular seatalk from Raymarine.. It would appear the Seatalk NG is easy too though. To me it came down to what was cheapest that accomplished Speed/Depth/Wind, but also had the ability to expand to other instruments if I wanted. Ultimately I want Speed/Depth/Wind/Compass/Tack and steer to wind.

So the combi transducer for speed/depth/temp is plastic (figured they all really are)... IN the box, is that, 15 feetish of transducer wire, a 3 port simnet block, a power input block, an air/direction transducer, and 60ish feet of cable... basically everything you need to setup and install the instruments and get them working. I'll need more obviously to integrate a Tiller pilot and ultimately install my VHF with GPS (I'm looking at the Standard Horizon 1700 Explorer it has built in GPS and DSC).

Anyway, here's what I got. Yeah I am just testing locating the instruments

Here is the link to where I found it.
http://simrad.factoryoutletstore.com/details/112418/simrad-22098529.html?category_id=56200

Edited by - shnool on 12/21/2014 00:40:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page