Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Watches
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/15/2014 :  03:48:22  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
With the approach of Christmas, might be time for a new wrist watch.

I tend to go through a watch every other year. Mostly they have a corrosion issue.

For me, the important features have to be:
.. Big Hands that can be seen at night (when I'm not wearing my glasses!)

.. Waterproof to at least 20 feet (If I go down further than that I'm probably not going to care!)

.. None leather strap (current watch has one, it leaks color )

.. Buttons that don't pop out when caught on a line (one I had a year ago had a screw in button but the thread was skimpy and it broke)

Anyone have the 'Perfect' watch?

Oh... Under $100 unless it has a 5 year covers everything warranty.

Paul

Edited by - on

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  05:29:47  Show Profile
Can you really go wrong with a Timex? I beat up watches so buying an expensive one is a wast of $$$. I never had a problem with Timex. Water resistant to 30M ( No problem swimming or showering), Has the Indiglo feature for nighttime.( just push the button and the dial lights up) Stainless steel and under $50. I have the Easy reader model shown below (Bigger numbers for us older guys).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  06:10:30  Show Profile
I have worn Casio digital watches for years, and, for functionality, they're hard to beat. They're waterproof, have big numbers that are easy to read, they have useful timers and alarms, and can take a beating. They also make many analog styles, if you prefer. I have one on the bottom of the Bay that is probably still running.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  07:37:00  Show Profile
I like my Timex analog tide watch, but it busts your budget.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  08:30:31  Show Profile
http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/momentum-m1-pro-dive-watch-mens/

Had one for about 7 years. Not this exact model $150

Edited by - redeye on 10/15/2014 08:31:03
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  09:20:53  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
It's going to cost you more than a $100 but it is not a plain watch and has most or everything you desire - Take a look at Citizen Eco Drive watches on the ashford.com website. Thru Ashford, you get the warranty extended out to 5 years by them and as it turned out, my watch started to slow up after 4 1/2 years. I sent it back and they honored the warranty replacing the jewel movement which is basically the heart of the watch. It has now been working fine for many addl years. The Eco drive watch I have is completely made of Titanium and as a result, it is very light. It also is solar powered and so a battery never needs replacement. It has a small internal battery that stores power for overcast days and then some - Can run for many days, maybe weeks or perhaps even longer without sun. It can be charged from inside lights but much slower charging. For us boaters, whatever sun it gets wearing it while sailing will probably be enough to keep it fully charged all year long. It's really a question of whether you want an electronic watch like a Timex or Casio which will provide excellent performance for many, many years or if you want a more dressy watch that with a dial but is solar powered. I would check on the ashford.com website if they still have their 5 year warranty since I bought my watch perhaps8-10 years ago. It does not cost extra for the 5 year warranty, just that Asford warranties, directly, the extra years over the mfrs warranty. Also, some dressy dial watches, while they cost a lot more than a Timex, they may require re-setting the day when you have months with 30 days vs 31 days. Some Eco-Drives, I believe automatically change according to the month but many do not...at least mine does not but it is the watch style I preferred and so I put up with the inconvenience of resetting the date. Then again, my old Casio kept running and was accurate with time and date for mnay years just kept in the drawer - Some of the Casios and other electronic display watches have battery life well in excess of 1 year. Some out to 5 years depending on the watch and the battery utlized in it's design.

Edited by - OLarryR on 10/15/2014 09:22:38
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  09:39:02  Show Profile
Timex Iron Man. Mine is 20+ yrs old and still works like new! Chief

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  10:44:03  Show Profile
Gill Marine watch. Has a stop watch feature, an alarm, and countdown/count up timers for 3,5,6,10 and 15 minutes. Also a chronometer. Best watch for racing as it "pings" according to time remaining..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  12:28:45  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Seiko divers watch. I don't remember buying this one, I think I bought it right after I got out of the Navy in 1986? I've replaced the battery probably 5x-6x, maybe more. Replaced the band probably 3-4x. Costs more than your budget, but cry once. Tough, waterproof to 100m, tritium illumination on the hands and 'numbers' (they're just dots), don't recall how long the warranty was, but this watch owes me nothing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  13:27:03  Show Profile
For several years now, I've been buying watches from the Sportsman's guide. I have been buying these as needed.
Started out at approx. $11, now about $13.50, if bought separately, cheaper if bought in pairs - one od green and one black. If I ruin one in the water, no big loss. Very light weight, inconspicuous, can be worn comfortably all day long and at any time. I try to keep the black one cleaner for dressy occasions.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/2-military-style-army-watches-1-black-and-1-olive-drab?a=1591004

If you don't like these, put men's watches on the search line in the ad. At least 50 different watches will pop up, most reasonably priced, such as:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/smith-amp-wesson-military-sport-watch?a=1709861

Edited by - dmpilc on 10/15/2014 13:43:29
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  15:41:04  Show Profile
I guess time pieces were perfected for navigation?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  20:34:02  Show Profile
Yes indeed! John Harrison invented the first accurate chronometer which enabled sailors to determine their longitude accurately. He won the 10,000 pound prize but it took him about 17 years to collect it. I guess politics hasn't changed much since the 18th century.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2014 :  03:38:37  Show Profile
My watch of choice is none. When I retired (2008) I took mine off and not worn one since. I have a stop watch on the boat for racing. There are clocks everywhere (except in my 1964 Jeep) and phone tells time when I need it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2014 :  04:59:15  Show Profile
quote:
Big Hands that can be seen at night (when I'm not wearing my glasses!)

.. Waterproof to at least 20 feet (If I go down further than that I'm probably not going to care!)

.. None leather strap (current watch has one, it leaks color )

.. Buttons that don't pop out when caught on a line (one I had a year ago had a screw in button but the thread was skimpy and it broke)

Trying to stay within Paul's requirements and under $100
I don't think a racers watch is necessary. As far as I know he doesn't race and having extra dials cluttering up the face of the watch makes it more difficult to tell time without his glasses on. I would stick with an analog face, You don't need to read the numbers, Only the arms. A digital requires you to read the numbers which can be just a blur at night without your glasses on. Also lots of contrast between the arms and the face.......Or just spend $3000 and get your eyes fixed

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2014 :  09:25:50  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I think this is the same watch I've got: http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-5-mens-watch-snzf15j2.html

It's about 40% more than you wanted to pay, but if you get anywhere near the service life I have it's money well spent.

Mine doesn't look that nice anymore, the ring is dinged up, faded and missing some paint/anodization where it's been scraped against various things, but it's still running strong.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2014 :  13:17:11  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
And we now have your fingerprint on file

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2014 :  15:26:51  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by britinusa

And we now have your fingerprint on file

Paul

Hah, long since been on file with the military & police (concealed pistol license).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2014 :  21:41:45  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

Yes indeed! John Harrison invented the first accurate chronometer which enabled sailors to determine their longitude accurately. He won the 10,000 pound prize but it took him about 17 years to collect it. I guess politics hasn't changed much since the 18th century.

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">For a great read on John Harrison, Dava Sobel's "Longitude"
http://www.amazon.com/Longitude-Genius-Greatest-Scientific-Problem/dp/080271529X

Sailing and science history at it's best.</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2014 :  06:46:10  Show Profile
John
That's a great book. I had me spellbound throughout.
For me I like a clean, white-faced watch with substantial black hands or vice versa.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2014 :  08:13:32  Show Profile
I remember when digital watches were a big new thing--with a button to turn the red digits on so they didn't burn the battery in about 10 minutes... One day I had to do something at some time like 10:20, and my friend showed me his watch that said something like <font face="Impact"><font color="red">9:37</font id="red"></font id="Impact">, and all I could think was "What the hell does that tell me??" One of our new products then was business graphics software--progress in the opposite direction. A picture is worth at least a thousand numbers!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/25/2014 08:15:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page