Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Replacing Companionway Trim
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jhorner
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/02/2014 :  17:14:20  Show Profile
Any advice on replacing my old companionway trim? Is Catalina Direct the best choice?

Edited by - on

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  17:59:24  Show Profile
I bought teak trim from Catalina Direct a few years ago when they said they lost their teak supplier and were selling the last of their inventory. I think they have a new teak supplier now. Someone else may know of a cheaper option.

Anyway, the trim fit well. To me that made it worth it, even if I paid a higher price to Catalina Direct, because I'm not a wood worker.

There are no holes drilled in the trim as you'd expect, so you'll need to use the old trim pieces to mark the new trim pieces for drilling holes. I put down a bead of 4200 between the trim and around the holes before mounting the new trim.

I think you'll find it straight forward.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  21:36:44  Show Profile
I replaced the bridge step for the companionway top step using a new piece of teak.
It took a bit of finagling using a table saw to get the piece to fit over the fiberglass and mate with the inside trim piece, but it fits like a glove and does not interfere with the companionway crib-board slats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2014 :  13:11:57  Show Profile
I have a similar question. I'm re-finishing the trim pieces at the top of the bulkhead at the forward end of the cockpit on my 1978 C-25. After sanding the old finish off, one of them appears to be mahogany instead of teak. Big color difference between the two, so I would like to replace the mahogany piece with teak, but Catalina Direct doesn't appear to stock that trim part. Anyone know of another source?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jhorner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2014 :  13:21:32  Show Profile
Thanks, Seth. Ordered from Catalina. Should be in this week and on this weekend.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2014 :  09:33:02  Show Profile
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7879.0.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2014 :  18:24:00  Show Profile
If you are replacing the two "eyebrow" teak trim pieces on each side of the companionway, I have a set, coated with Cetol, I believe, that are ready to install. I bought them for our C-25, but ended up selling the boat before I could do the replacement. $25 for the pair, plus postage.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2014 :  21:16:58  Show Profile
Ooh, David,
I want them!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2014 :  07:36:10  Show Profile
Very generous David, and they will solve my problem. Will email you with shipping address and request for payment information. Thanks for your help...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  13:46:59  Show Profile
Scott is first, then Jerry, if Scott backs out. Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  17:47:22  Show Profile
David,
If Jerry really wants them, he can have them. While I contacted you first, Jerry did post in this thread before me. My boat has them, they are just crappy looking- replacing them was certainly not on the top of the priority list. Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  18:24:14  Show Profile
<< My boat has them, they are just crappy looking >>

You might remove them and sand them down and clean them up and remount them. Teak is endangered.

I took my hatchboards down to Carlton's Rare Woods in Atlanta, looking to buy wood to make new ones and he ( Carlton's son ) basically impressed me with the realization that the wood was beautiful just as it was.. after a little work.

IMHO

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  20:40:35  Show Profile
thanks Ray, I have done that with most of the wood on the boat, but both these "eyebrows" are gouged from the canvas rubbing on them and one of them is cracked in half with some missing wood, I could recut them and make them skinnier I guess....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  03:36:36  Show Profile
The sanding is kinda weird, the wood is so oily it gums up the sandpaper.. and the dust is toxic to your lungs ( I've been told )

Wonder if you can plane down pieces that small???

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  12:22:07  Show Profile
I sanded most of my teak with an orbital (lightly) and then hand sanded to smooth it--used maybe a little more sandpaper than normal, but no big deal. It can be striking when you see the brand new teak that appears!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2014 :  06:15:26  Show Profile
I'm with Dave on this and a big fan of renewing rather than replacing. I'm currently sanding and re-varnishing all of the exterior teak and find that some of it is so degraded that the crevices need to be filled in to provide an even surface. I'm experimenting with Elmer's glue mixed with teak sawdust, but not sure how durable this solution will be in the long run. Anyone here have an experience with this approach?

I am still interested in the matched eyebrow pieces David. The portside mahogany piece that I have now only works if they are all painted and I can't bring myself to paint instead of varnish.

This will leave me with an extra starboard piece Scott. If that will replace your broken and unsalvagable piece, I would be happy to send it to you for the cost of postage. It's been sanded and sealed, not in "new" condition, but may be better than you have.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2014 :  07:17:24  Show Profile
Thanks Jerry, Maybe after you get the pieces from David, you can send me a photo of the one you don't use. Thanks. I have sealed all my teak with epoxy before varnish and it looks really sharp. I think epoxy would work better than elmers glue. Elmers is not structural, is not waterproof, and does not dry clear so will add a milky hue to the repair piece. The best option would be a high quality epoxy like West System or the like and use the hardener 207? or whatever hardener is completely clear, I can't remember the number off the top of my head. Depending on how big the crevices are, you might not even need to use sawdust and just let the epoxy flow into the crevices and with several coats it will be as smooth as glass. Then you would need to seal over the epoxy with something UV resistant or the epoxy will yellow from the sun. You mentioned you are varnishing and that would do perfectly. Let me see if I have some photos of the pieces I have finished so you can see the final result- I bet my wood started a lot like your wood, totally dark grey, dirty, pitted, with black spots and streaks...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2014 :  08:04:26  Show Profile
Not one word, Frank!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2014 :  19:30:00  Show Profile
Okay Jerry, they are yours. Didn't mean to hyjack your thread. I'm regatta chairman for a regatta ths weekend. I've got your email and will respond with payment info sunday night or Monday morning.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2014 :  19:24:37  Show Profile
Good talking to you tonight, Jerry. The trim boards will go in the mail tomorrow morning.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2014 :  13:52:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sdpinaz

Thanks Jerry, Maybe after you get the pieces from David, you can send me a photo of the one you don't use. Thanks. I have sealed all my teak with epoxy before varnish and it looks really sharp. I think epoxy would work better than elmers glue. Elmers is not structural, is not waterproof, and does not dry clear so will add a milky hue to the repair piece. The best option would be a high quality epoxy like West System or the like and use the hardener 207? or whatever hardener is completely clear, I can't remember the number off the top of my head. Depending on how big the crevices are, you might not even need to use sawdust and just let the epoxy flow into the crevices and with several coats it will be as smooth as glass. Then you would need to seal over the epoxy with something UV resistant or the epoxy will yellow from the sun. You mentioned you are varnishing and that would do perfectly. Let me see if I have some photos of the pieces I have finished so you can see the final result- I bet my wood started a lot like your wood, totally dark grey, dirty, pitted, with black spots and streaks...

Trying to figure out how to post a photo in this reply and not having much luck. Any advice out there??

Edited by - pearson39b on 10/18/2014 13:59:32
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2014 :  17:42:41  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Jerry, as a member you can login to the members area and upload your pics.

The program includes an option to get the codes to paste into a post so that the images show up here.

like this one.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2014 :  07:55:46  Show Profile
Getting an interesting education here. Thanks for the help, Paul. Now I'll try to post a photo of the eyebrow panel I promised Scott. If it works, you can let me know if you want it, Scott.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2014 :  10:09:14  Show Profile
Thanks Jerry,
I will take it!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2014 :  15:31:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pearson39b

Getting an interesting education here. Thanks for the help, Paul. Now I'll try to post a photo of the eyebrow panel I promised Scott. If it works, you can let me know if you want it, Scott.

That is not the piece that Catalina calls an eyebrow on my 89. There is a peice that runs the length of the cabin top above the windows that is called the eyebrow, it is essentially a half round trim peice. It is found on boats after 87. Did they call your peice eyebrow or something else?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2014 :  16:03:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sdpinaz

Thanks Jerry,
I will take it!!

You can send me a mailing address via private email, and I'll let you know what the postage is after I send it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page