Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Intensity Sails
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/02/2014 :  08:26:36  Show Profile
Anyone here have experience dealing with Intensity Sails in Rhode Island?
I'm considering trying out one of their sails and am waiting to hear back from them. They market a Rhodes 19 sail made with 6.9oz dacron that closely matches the standard size of our standard rig Cat25s at a crazy price (Rhodes 19: P=24’,E=9.7’ vs. Cat25: P=24.7’,E=9.6’). Doing some research around the internet, I've heard people having good experiences with their sails and going back for more. 1 issue with the sail is that I don't believe they offer reef points. To be honest, i never really do reef anyway. This sail might be worth picking up just as a backup for that price

http://www.intensitysails.com/rh19ma.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intensity-Sails-Main-for-Rhodes-19-/160715310212?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item256b610484&vxp=mtr

Edited by - on

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  09:01:49  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
that IS low!

You never reef? what can a standard rig go up to 20 knots with no excessive weather helm. I put first reef in between 15 and 20 apparent. try to maintain bout 20 -25 degrees heel, or horsing the tiller around becomes a chore. but then again I have a tall rig.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  09:51:18  Show Profile
I wouldn't expect a sail for a dinghy to have a good cut for a Catalina 25.

Dinghies with fractional rigs have a very bendy mast that can be configured with a lot of bend (to flatten the sail) or straight (to put deep draft in the sail and power it up). Catalina 25 masts go from perfectly straight to almost but not quite straight, which means you'll always have a sail with a lot of draft to it. P&E measurements don't tell the whole story.

I do agree that the price is nice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  10:06:47  Show Profile
Alex's comments make sense. However, it wouldn't hurt to send them the C25 mainsail specs and ask for a quote. Be interesting to see what they come up with.

Edited by - dmpilc on 10/02/2014 12:39:39
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  12:37:46  Show Profile
Reef points can always be added later. Find out how it attaches to the mast and boom, Slugs (Size) Bolt rope (Size) You might end up having to change all the slugs and if they are sewn on, Well thats a lot of sewing. Also if it has a full roach it could hit your backstay. Great price if it works out. Ok just saw the 30 day money back you pay shipping, What do you have to lose, a few bucks on shipping? I'd take the chance just dump the Logo if they can as long as the slugs and boltrope are compatible.

Edited by - islander on 10/02/2014 12:44:48
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  13:11:10  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure you can dump the logo but the guy emailed me back saying this, "I am sorry. I can never recommend a sail for a spar that it was not cut for". Nothing else, even after a detailed email trying to get info.

What Alex was saying about the mast bend probably is spot on. I still think between tuning the rig and using the halyard, cunningham, outhaul, boom vang, topping lift & main sheet, you could probably wrangle that linen into shape. Its almost worth trying as a backup or send back in 30 days if its out of whack. Probably wouldn't mention its for a Cat25 or that might mess up that possibility.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  13:39:42  Show Profile
Todd, the first reef in a TR essentially makes it an SR.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  13:52:47  Show Profile
That, and basically I've found that if its crazy enough out there where I should put a reef in or risk disaster I'll just sail the jib alone. Its not like I need to get anywhere, and Its kind of fun. I am rigged to be able to reef pretty easily though. Only thing that would make it a snap would be a slot cover so I dont have to mess with a track stop.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  15:06:52  Show Profile
You won't get a C25 mast to bend the way that a dinghy mast bends.

The sail doesn't have reefs because you handle higher winds in a dinghy by flattening and hiking more, options that aren't available on a masthead keelboat.

I mix and match headsails, but wouldn't buy a main that wasn't cut for a very similar boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  04:41:20  Show Profile
Call me crazy, but an extra couple of hundred bucks to get a properly fitting sail designed for the boat is short, and smart, money spent -- especially for such a critical part of any sail boat -- the SAIL. You can buy a Catalina 25 mainsail, new, from National Sail Supply for $595 (Google them and check out their web page), and National is reputable with sails made to our boat's specifications.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  04:59:50  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
that mast slot cover will change your life! The one sold by CD works great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2014 :  15:53:32  Show Profile
National Sail supply is good, so is The Sail Warehouse, both used to carry Rolly Tasker sails and maybe still do. also good id Dave Benjamin at Island Planet sails.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page