Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Red Cross sadness
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

2402 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/21/2014 :  06:41:47  Show Profile
<font color="green">This is in our club newsletter.</font id="green">

<i>"It is with great sadness and deepest regret that I must announce to you that, after 35 consecutive years of providing sailing instruction at Cheney Reservoir, the American Red Cross Midway-Kansas Chapter Learn to Sail program has officially ended.

While most Red Cross small craft safety programs closed down some years ago, due to organizational changes, a few who could demonstrate a financial return to their chapters and had sufficient volunteer leadership to deliver the courses inde- pendently were allowed to continue as “community based service programs.” Our Midway-Kansas Sailing Program fell into this latter category. With the great support of 11 volunteer instructors, our program was able to continue un-interrupted through this summer. Our last class concluded on Sunday, August 24.

Two days later, however, our Midway-Kansas Executive Director, Bev Morlan, was notified by national headquarters that, “As part of an ongoing effort by Preparedness and Health and Safety Services to streamline inventories, 84 local PHSS courses will be discontinued . . .” This decision included our local chapter sailing program. The sailing program officially ended August 31, 2014. It was the very last Red Cross learn to sail program in the United States to close down."</i>

<font color="green">How sad that the work of simply "doing good" cannot be sustained in our world anymore... no that is not a political coment, simply an observation of an old man. The rest of the announcement is as follows and speaks to the efforts of GOOD PEOPLE who make a difference every day. (I am not one of them but always admired them.)</font id="green">

<i>"In 1980, the very first Red Cross class was taught on the west shore beach just immediately north of Giefer Creek, <font color="green">(a mile South of our club),</font id="green"> where our program remained for 11 years, until the beach was rocked in by the KDWP&T in 1990. For the next four years, our class re- located to Heimerman Point on the east shore of Cheney, <font color="green">(opposite side of the lake from our club),</font id="green"> until, ironically, that beach was rocked in, as well.
But that turned out to be a real blessing for our program. We were invited by members of the Ninnescah Sailing Association -NSA , <font color="green">(NYC at the time),</font id="green"> to teach our program in Sailboat Cove and were warmly received by the many members of the club who stopped by the beach to chat and observe our classes. And, of course, that is where we have remained for the past 20 years. The Board of Governors also generously provided free yard storage space to the Red Cross for summer storage of our Sunfish and safety power boat. And when the Afterdeck was built, the Board and NSA members kindly invited us to use the facilities whenever needed. Our volunteers could not have dreamed of a more perfect setting in which to teach people to sail.
The Board demonstrated even more support for the Red Cross program when it amended its by-laws to allow graduates of the Red Cross sailing program to join the NSA at significantly reduced first year membership fees. A few years ago, the club membership record showed that 65 of its members (including family members) were Red Cross sailing graduates. And while our membership has fluctuated in recent years, even today the NSA directory reveals that 46 current members have been certified in the Red Cross sailing program.
To date, our staff of 11 volunteer instructors includes 4 of the original 5 instructors who started the program in 1980, having taught the program for its entire run of 35 years. The remaining 7 instructors have volunteer service records ranging from 8 to 20 years. We have indeed been blessed with a dedicated family of Red Cross volunteers, who have been truly committed to the mis- sion of promoting small craft safety, while teaching folks the basic skills and love of sailing.
On behalf of the volunteer staff of Red Cross instructors, I would like to thank the Board of Governors and all the members of the Ninnescah Sailing Association, from the very bottom of my heart, for the many things you have done in support of the Red Cross Learn to Sail program for these past 20 years. You have made us welcome, you have taken us into your sailing family, and have provided us a wonderful sailing home. In supporting us, you have truly lived up to your mission, “. . . to promote the art of sailing, sportsmanship, and water safety in Kansas.” Our entire volunteer staff truly appreciates the partnership we have forged with the NSA, which has allowed all of us, Red Cross and NSA members alike, to promote the joy of sailing throughout the greater Kansas region."</i>

Edited by - pastmember on 09/21/2014 06:48:08

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  07:54:47  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Agreed Frank, very sad.

Does the club have it's own Learn To Sail program not affiliated with the Red Cross.

I'm assuming that the volunteers were totally unpaid (ie. not even expenses) and I know personally how dedicated volunteers can be in fulfilling the task.

All of the sailing clubs that we have visited here in SOFLA have a Junior sailing program, minimal fees however but all run by volunteers.

Has the club considered asking other NPO's if they would like to sponsor the program. Perhaps approach the local Rotary club, Lions Club etc.

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 09/21/2014 07:55:22
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  09:17:12  Show Profile
I agree with Paul. Sounds like you guys had a real gem that should not be lost. If you can keep the volunteers together and NSA could continue to offer the facilities doesn't seem like it would take that much money to keep the program going. Since so many people in your organization have remained at NSA after graduating seems like it would be to their advantage to keep a steady flow of new blood coming into the association.

I don't know how many people are a part of NSA but maybe raise the yearly membership fee (if there is one) by maybe $5 or $10 to go into a fund to directly support a learn to sail program?

Seems a shame to just let this group dissolve.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  09:25:52  Show Profile
I betcha Bill Koch would fund a program. He's made material contributions to my alma mater, Culver Military Academy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  19:20:39  Show Profile
Sad to see that program terminated. My sailing class in college, in 1969, used a Red Cross basic sailing book and I still have it on my bookshelf.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  19:49:59  Show Profile
We have a healthy youth sailing component at our club. It has Optis, Sunfish, 420s and regatta boats. It is the adults who are abandoned.
We have one of the Koch Cup boats, Jayhawk I think and a replica of the Cup at the boat house he built for the city in the middle of town on the arKansas river.

It is simply sad the Red Cross is losing contact with regular citizens and has to focus on disaster victims.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2014 :  17:58:52  Show Profile
It's a pity that good works such as this Red Cross course cannot continue in our cost-conscious and overly litigious era. Back in the day, it seemed, people had the time and pitched in on the small costs by running a bake-sale or garage sale and donating the proceeds. I really believe a few modern trends are sabotaging altruism like this:
1. Longer workdays - now most people work 24/7 and can't afford to spend time volunteering
2. Insurance rates have skyrocketed due to large liabilities that have come out of frequently questionable lawsuits
3. The value of helping others and the pleasure gained from selfless charity has faded with the passing of the generations. Those of "the greatest generation" who lived through the most difficult privations of the Great Depression and WWII were glad to help their fellow man/woman improve their lot, since they knew that all boats rise with the rising tide.
I don't see any shred of that kind of "cast your bread upon the waters" sentiment anymore - it's just "what have you done for me lately?" A cold and dismal perspective on life.
I and my colleagues continue to donate time and resources to teach boating safety, kayak survival, GPS and other courses for the general public in our US Power Squadron group. We perform free Vessel Safety Checks. Each year it gets tougher to recruit new members, but we do it to help boaters and to save lives. I hope I never see the day we have to call it quits. That would be a loss indeed.
&lt;/end of rant/&gt;

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  17:55:01  Show Profile
I agree with all of the above. Possibly adding a "big boat" component to the sailing educational activities of/for youth (opti's/420's, etc.) could bridge the gap. Cost effective and quality sailing instruction is needed and, hopefully, prudent minds will prevail in finding creative ways to continue the efforts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page