Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Ship Station License (VHF) for foreign ports?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/19/2014 :  13:30:04  Show Profile
After reading an article in Boating magazine, I've discovered that I may need to get a Ship Station License to take the boat to the Bahamas. And a trip over to the FCC website seems to confirm that:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing& id=ship_stations

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit. </i><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Anybody here got one?

How much are the fees, after a quick search, I did not find that info on the FCC site.

Edited by - on

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2014 :  12:21:14  Show Profile
In the past, an FCC operators' license was required by the FCC for domestic boaters in US waters as well. However, not everybody who used VHFs observed the laws at that time. The law was changed regarding domestic use of VHF, but since the FCC has no purview in other countries (not even Canada;-), the FCC cannot regulate them. That said, other countries will largely honor the VHF operator's licenses issued by the USA when American boaters are operating in foreign waters. That means that if you as an American want to operate your VHF in a foreign country, you need either an operator's license issued by the US FCC or by the foreign country's corresponding regulatory agency. Since it's probably a whole lot easier to obtain a US-based FCC VHF operator's license than a UK license (as far as I know), my choice would be to get the FCC license.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page