Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 sunday adventure with crab pots
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/08/2014 :  05:48:03  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
had an adventure sunday. winds were strong in the creek and got stronger when i got out into the river. Many times it will be blowing in the creek ( i guess the air gets compressed) and die when i cross to the open river. This time it was the opposite as i left aquia creek under full sail and was REALLY overpowered in the river.

I turned downwind south to decrease the force on the sails and hooked up the autopilot . THen i put in one reef, thought better and put in 2. While im doing this, the boat is bouncing up and down 3 feet. got the reef in and pulled out some headsail for balance. I could only get 1.5 knots and could not point any higher than a broad reach. after a few minutes of moving closer to the lee shore a mile away, i thought maybe i snagged something on the keel. I looked over the stern and did not see any lines in the water, so i thought maybe I can motor back to the creek where it is not as rough and sort this out. I lowered and tied down the sails and started the engine. a minute after going into gear. whump! wrapped a crab pot in the prop. I could not get in the water, so i had to drag the line to a cleat and cut it so i could use a boathook to unwrap it from the prop. took about 10 minutes dragging to the shore at 1 knot. while doing this, my life jacket got snagged on the tiller and inflated. so i cleared the prop started it and out it in gear, and saw another line lift out of the water. i pooped it out of gear, and tried to lift it to the boat. could not, so I just had to cut that one. finally free i motored back to the creek and sailed back and forth there for a few hours.

Edited by - on

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2014 :  07:49:03  Show Profile
wow! Sounds like an exciting time!! Not the kind of excitement I look for while sailing, but exciting none the less! ;) Sounds like you handled it well though. I hope if/when I faced with similar excitement that I can handle it as well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2014 :  10:05:11  Show Profile
As an emergency procedure I have a half inch line onboard in the dumpster and a sharp knife with lanyard, mask and snorkel, so that I can go overboard ( tied in with the 1/2 inch line ) and cut line off the prop.

We don't have crab pots here but it's just a matter of time before one of the sheets gets away, or we hit some other line.

Hopefully I could lift the motor and clear it, but if not I'm ready in case I need to go in and clear the prop quickly before making shore.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2014 :  10:39:21  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
thought about that, but the boat was heaving 3 feet up and down. I felt if i went in there, i would not be coming back :).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2014 :  12:30:22  Show Profile
Wow, Aquia Creek brings back memories. My family belonged to Landmark Yacht Club in the early '70s. We used to head down there from Ft. Washington every weekend. We had a houseboat - my Dad didn't have the patience for sailboats. "We make our own wind."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2014 :  12:43:43  Show Profile
<< 3 feet up and down. >>

Yepper.. Don'tcha just love seeing that lower end of the engine plunging up and down in the water.. That would hurt!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2014 :  17:36:06  Show Profile
THIS is a great device for clearing lines that foul the rudder or prop...http://sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=CH01

Edited by - jerlim on 09/09/2014 17:46:57
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2014 :  04:33:34  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
THANK YOU! was thinking of something like that!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2014 :  06:25:45  Show Profile
Or harpooning wales, That looks deadly!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page