Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Catalina 250
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

patraylin
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/31/2014 :  11:16:51  Show Profile
I recently purchased a 2004 WB Catalina 250 and have not been able to find in the manual what is under the fwd berth? it looks like a bilge pump, you can unscrew it and see out the bottom of the boat. It has wires that run to the electric panel. but it seems to be in an odd place for a bilge pump. Thanks for your help

Edited by - on

SailAway
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  12:59:21  Show Profile
When you removed the device, did it have a little paddle wheel on the outside that spins? If so, it's a knot meter. I'm new to the C250 WB world too and that's what I have in that area along with a depth sounder transducer. My knot meter doesn't seem to be working though.

Greg

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  14:40:14  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Photos would help, but I agree, it sounds like either the the speed sensor or the depth transducer. If it had the paddle wheel, and you have a helper, turn on your depth & speed display (I'm assuming you've got essentially the same setup as mine), and have someone spin the little wheel, you should see the speed reading change as they do. There's little you can do to check that the depth transducer is working properly out of water (I'm assuming you're on a trailer, or you've already sunk your boat), except you may be able to hear it "click" when you turn it on. Your ear needs to be right up against it to hear it.

Before you put the boat in the water, you'll want to make sure either or both are properly installed back into their through hull(s). If not, you'll definitely want to know where your bilge pump is located.

The pump itself is located on the starboard stern immediately to your left as you go up the boarding ladder. There's a little plastic door that pops down, and the pump is immediately inside. There should be a long handle that fits into the recess in the pump (I had to make one for my boat, it didn't come with one). It should discharge over the starboard side all the way aft.

I'm not positive on the WB (ours is a WK), but the pump sump is at the stern end of the wooden floor boards behind the table. There should be an inspection plate where you can see the hose & fitting. I'll let the WB guys weigh in if that's incorrect.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  16:21:39  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by patraylin

I recently purchased a 2004 WB Catalina 250 and have not been able to find in the manual what is under the fwd berth? it looks like a bilge pump, you can unscrew it and see out the bottom of the boat. It has wires that run to the electric panel. but it seems to be in an odd place for a bilge pump. Thanks for your help

On JD (2005 C250WB) the 'Sink' below the V-Berth has two transducers, one is the Speed Sensor, the other is the Depth & Temp Sensor.

The wires run to the Displays, our display is mounted at the Helm above the Compass..

Hope that helps.

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  18:32:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by delliottg

...The pump itself is located on the starboard stern immediately to your left as you go up the boarding ladder. There's a little plastic door that pops down, and the pump is immediately inside. There should be a long handle that fits into the recess in the pump (I had to make one for my boat, it didn't come with one). It should discharge over the starboard side all the way aft...

On our boat the pump and discharge are on the other starboard, also known as port.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  19:10:08  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

quote:
Originally posted by delliottg

...The pump itself is located on the starboard stern immediately to your left as you go up the boarding ladder. There's a little plastic door that pops down, and the pump is immediately inside. There should be a long handle that fits into the recess in the pump (I had to make one for my boat, it didn't come with one). It should discharge over the starboard side all the way aft...

On our boat the pump and discharge are on the other starboard, also known as port.

Hah, good catch, yes that would be the other starboard...port. That's what I get for dashing off a reply w/o reading it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

patraylin
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  03:35:14  Show Profile
Thanks guys, you were right it is the knot meter and depth sounder transducer. very helpful information, thanks again!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page