Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Going Aloft
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/30/2014 :  12:00:44  Show Profile
Now I know why I didn't crew on the Charles W. Morgan's just-completed voyage to Boston and back. (This is the last wooden whaling ship left in the universe, restored over the past five years for $?? million at Mystic Seaport.)

[url="http://www.soundingsonline.com/dispatches/292449-video-top-of-the-world"]Going Aloft[/url]

Edited by - on

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  17:58:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Now I know why I didn't crew on the Charles W. Morgan's just-completed voyage to Boston and back. (This is the last wooden whaling ship left in the universe, restored over the past five years for $?? million at Mystic Seaport.)

[url="http://www.soundingsonline.com/dispatches/292449-video-top-of-the-world"]Going Aloft[/url]

Not in my lifetime! If I want a view like that I'll fly my UAV to the top with a GoPro on it.

This video isn't about sailing but it will make you pucker. This tower is 2 miles from my front door (can see it out the front door) and is 2000' tall. If you don't have time to watch the whole thing go to the 6:10 mark and watch to the end.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF5OgmrFXtA"]Tower Climb[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  20:09:33  Show Profile
Ooooooo... That made my thingies hurt!

On a lighter note, I plan to go out on Sarge and watch the Morgan under sail tomorrow (from sea level).

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/30/2014 20:12:42
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  13:07:08  Show Profile
I hope they pay him well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  17:22:45  Show Profile
There's another video I've seen where they were topping off one of the 7 - 2000' towers in the same antenna "farm". The guy filming is standing on the top of the tower (2000') looking straight down through the center of the tower while he's filming without any safety lanyard. Just standing on top looking straight down like he was standing on the ground!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  09:13:22  Show Profile
Very cool! Many years ago I did a schooner trip on the Stephen Taber out of Rockland (or was it Rockport), Maine. While not nearly as high as the boat in the above link, the crew regularly climbed to the top of that masts WITHOUT harnesses or strapping in. Just line in the olden days, I suppose. I remember wondering at the time how is that not a violation of some OSHA regulation. One time, the first mate (maybe 23 years old) and one of the other 3 regular crew, a woman (maybe 20 or 21) climbed the mainmast because we were approaching a bridge and the boat was too tall. They climbed up, lowered the top mast as we sailed under the bridge, then raised the topmast (about 15 feet long, if I remember), and climbed back down like it was nothing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  10:19:47  Show Profile
Way back in my Navy days, we had to climb the mast in order to get certified for going aloft. There were some guys who could only get about half way up before throwing in the towel.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page