Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Opening Port Advice, Please!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/12/2014 :  18:01:26  Show Profile
I think I need some help...

We have re-bedded most of the hardware with the opening port lights and genoa tracks scheduled for tomorrow - both of which are leaking and what appears to be the last of the leaks. I was dreading the genoa tracks but after removing the port lights this evening I think they have moved to the top of my dread list.

I'm guessing they are original equipment - metal frames with opening smoked plexiglas and no frame on the exterior. When I removed both of the assemblies I didn't think twice about the lack of a framework on the outside but, now that I have both window assemblies leak-free I did a test fit of one of the assemblies and wondered to myself... how am I going to get a good seal on this thing and how do I get a finished look on the outside while accomplishing a good seal without an exterior frame?

I was initially going to use butyl tape for the frame but since that portion was on the inside it appeared to me that it went against all common sense of stopping the leak on the outside, not the inside. Then I wondered about filling the void on the exterior with BoatLife. Now I'm not so sure what to do.

We are schedule to launch this Friday which we have delayed several times and I was feeling like we were so close... and tomorrow is my last full day off before launch day. I'm not prepared to purchase new port lights - how are these things installed properly?

Thank you!

Edited by - Kper on 07/12/2014 18:05:54

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  19:33:56  Show Profile
Go here and read "Installing New Found Metals Stainless Portlights." While there will be information you may not need, there is specific discussion on making portlights watertight.

http://www.marinehowto.com/

Good luck!

Edited by - OJ on 07/12/2014 19:35:57
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  19:35:07  Show Profile
Ok, I'm going to go ahead and ask... "IF" I were to purchase opening ports to replace the ones I have -(not that I really want to!)- what would experienced members recommend?

I hesitated to ask that because at this time I really want to get these back in properly.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  19:36:05  Show Profile
OJ, we must have posted at nearly the same time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  19:39:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kper

Ok, I'm going to go ahead and ask... "IF" I were to purchase opening ports to replace the ones I have -(not that I really want to!)- what would experienced members recommend?

I hesitated to ask that because at this time I really want to get these back in properly.

I would use the same brand I believe are on the boat now . . . Lewmar.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2014 :  05:43:10  Show Profile
At this point I'm preparing to use BoatLife to fill the void between the frame and the hull and do my best to get a smooth appearance on the outside. Any replacements will have to wait for the off-season since I have outside pressure to get this thing floating.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2014 :  06:01:28  Show Profile
If they are Lewmar, they are close but they are not shown on their website.

Inside:

Outside: Notice the lack of an exterior frame.

Edited by - Kper on 07/13/2014 06:02:54
Go to Top of Page

Mark Maxwell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
329 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2014 :  10:34:06  Show Profile
Hello Kyle,
I have followed your post but haven't been able to offer advise but I think I can offer some support. Looking at your pics, I would think your idea of using Boatlife would be fine. Just don't use an adhesive. I know that those ports are notorious for leaks. Better than the solid deck lights that some C25's have but still require more maintenance than one would think. Is this the one by the head? My C25 has a fixed port that doesn't open but I would like to put one in.

Anyway, I'd feel comfortable doing what you have planed, I think that's a suitable approach.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2014 :  16:17:49  Show Profile
Mark,
I did exactly what I had planned and it looks... ok. From the dock it looks perfectly fine, just don't get too close - I have no idea why they didn't make a ring to install on the outside which would have made it so much better. I believe it'll be water tight but only time will tell. I know the windows in the housings are fine because I locked the windows, placed the assemblies face down and filled them with water and had good results.

Now, the Genoa tracks are a nightmare. We had leaks almost every square inch of both tracks so we removed them and are preparing to re-bed them.I don't ever want to do that again!

Edited by - Kper on 07/13/2014 16:32:38
Go to Top of Page

Mark Maxwell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
329 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2014 :  19:51:01  Show Profile
Looks like you have things well in hand. I've done the tracks too, I also had to do the rub rail down one side.... that was not fun! The tracks gave me some trouble. The holes didn't just line up like I thought they would. I had to start loose then tighten up once all the screws were in place for alignment. Not too tough. Good luck on your splash date..... I can relate to that pressure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page