Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Genoa furler slipping
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indecentseas
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/07/2014 :  19:44:09  Show Profile
At times it seems the furler for my Genoa is slipping. I first noticed the problem trying to furl the sail in a heavy wind. I pulled on the line to furl the sail. I pulled in approximately 3 feet of line and all went fine. The Genoa started to furl up. But then the Genoa seemed to slip. The lines in my hand remained just as they had been but the furler spun backwards and the Genoa was back to being fully out. I pointed into irons a bit more and took some of the pressure of the Genoa and was able to furl it properly. The problem has repeated itself.

Also, when the Genoa is fully furled and the lines controlling the furler are secured, I am able to spin the Genoa out by pulling on the Genoa sheets with little force. This used to be impossible

In the past i have been able to rely on the furler to keep the Genoa where I want it and have been able to lock it in without the sail fully out. This is nice in heavier winds. I'm unable to do that now.

Any suggestions are welcome on diagnosing/fixing the problem. If I leave it as it is I just have to be more careful when I wrap my sails up and I can't "reef" my Genny. But are there any other problems? Is it likely to get worse fast?

Edited by - on

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  19:56:03  Show Profile
What furler do you have? Is is it a two-line furler? I ask because you referred to the furling lines in the plural. Perhaps it is a Hood?

They slip and eventually the full sail reveals itself. They were designed for reefing, but worked by having sharp edges on the furling drum dig into the furling line to prevent it from slipping. Over time those teeth wear down and it only becomes good for furling the sail, not reefing.

Hood will sell you a replacement furler for a good price if you call them, but installation is still a big project. They used to sell an upgrade kit that fixed their two line furlers, but they've discontinued it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  20:14:31  Show Profile
Without knowing the brand and model of furler we cannot help, patents make them all different.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indecentseas
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  16:46:37  Show Profile
Hood. 705 Seafurl LD.

It has a continuous line.

http://www.pompanette.com/pomp.nsf/Products_lookup/696A7EA635C1EB658525762400165B20?OpenDocument

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  18:33:52  Show Profile
Actually, that furler was designed only for furling--not reefing. I never used one, and don't know how the line is supposed to grip the drum, but the problem you're having is why it is not suitable for reefing, which requires that it hold fast while under considerable strain from the loaded sail (and sheet). This is also why continuous line furlers have been famous for releasing their furled sails in big storms.

Can or should there be multiple turns of the line around the drum? Do you have more than one turn on yours? Is the line chafing? Are you keeping the other end under tension as you pull the first to furl, to maintain traction against the drum? But it also sounds like either the drum or the line has lost something.

EDIT: Looking at the picture, it appears it might not even use a full turn on the drum. Tension is probably the key. A proper single-line furler/reefer is another consideration... (You know what B.O.A.T. stands for, right? )

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/08/2014 18:48:08
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2014 :  05:21:19  Show Profile
quote:
LOW COST FURLING FOR NON-REEFING APPLICATIONS:

Your furler is not made for reefing. It is possible that the drum where the line rides has become smooth from use and has lost its grip. I don't know how the drum is made so I am guessing that their is a pulley/sheave wheel that the line rides in. If it can be opened you might try to roughen up the surface where the line rides with some sandpaper to restore the grip. Also if the line is smooth you could try roughening it up also.

Edited by - islander on 07/09/2014 05:38:26
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2014 :  06:58:39  Show Profile
When I mentioned chafe, I was thinking of the core inside double-braid rope, which is generally much smoother than the cover. If the cover has worn through in the area where the line runs over the drum (or sheave) with the sail mostly furled, the furler might not grip the line, and turn as much as it wants--spilling your sail back out. All it would take is a small worn area on the line.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2014 :  07:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
I had the same issue. Simply buy new 10mm rope and do a splicing.

Problem is that you have to tension the loop somehow. The best solution for this kind of furler is to use the ratchet block and some bungee.

Please note, this is not 100% reliable in very strong winds but it's fine for casual sailing.
Then simply swap to smaller foresail just in case it will unfurl.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indecentseas
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2014 :  12:34:34  Show Profile
I contacted the Hood dealer.

They suggested replacing the bearing races ($80) or upgrading to a single line system ($975).

I have always put tension on the lines by tying them off on the cleat just behind the winch in Tomas's photo. My line looks pretty fresh.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2014 :  15:59:10  Show Profile
I used two clam cleats on a Hunter 25.5. It forces the line deep into the jaws of the furler and has held a reef in pretty high wind, however, it puts a stress on the forestay toggle by pulling it aft when the tension of the forestay is designed to be transferred in column to the bow tang. Bottom line it ain't designed as a reefer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  14:23:57  Show Profile
If you do the upgrade through Hood you should also ask them about the upgrade to the Seafurl 5 (the price that you quoted is for the less expensive Seafurl 707). The 5 is a nice unit with a more aerodynamic foil, independent swivel at the tack (helps it furl tighter when reefing), and generally nicer hardware.

If I were doing this all over again on my boat I'd just have switched to hank on jibs. Sail changes are a lot easier, the system is simpler and lighter, and there are tons of good quality used sails available in the world.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page