Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 Seattle Bridges on the 4th
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/03/2014 :  09:15:57  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
Does anyone know if there are extended hours for the bridges on Lake Union for the Fourth of July? I want to head out and watch the fireworks, but I need the Fremont bridge raised to get back to my slip.

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2014 :  17:26:38  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Here you go: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/bridgeopenings.htm

The Fremont Bridge is specified toward the bottom of the page, as well as call outs in the first footnote.

Here's the pertinent sections:

quote:
Lake Washington Ship Canal Bridges

Rush-Hour Schedules

To keep roadway traffic moving during peak driving times, bridge openings are restricted.

Ballard and Fremont bridges remain closed to boaters weekdays from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., except national holidays. (See Footnote 1 below.) The University bridge remains closed to boaters weekdays from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., except national holidays.

During closed periods, bridge openings will not be made unless a vessel is 1,000 gross tons or more, or is towing a vessel exceeding 1,000 gross tons (Federal Regulation).

Footnote 1 - Closed periods will be in effect for the Columbus Day holiday.

Bridge Openings by Appointment

One bridge operator (the Call-out Bridge Operator) is responsible for the three Ship Canal bridges between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Vessels are required to give one hour advance notice for a bridge opening. To request an opening, vessels should call the Bridge Shop on Marine Channel 13, or by telephone at 386-4251 after 11:00 p.m. The operator will drive to the bridge at the agreed time.

The signal for all Lake Washington Ship Canal bridges is one prolonged then one short whistle blast.

If the vessel is not there, the operator will wait 15 minutes and then try to contact the vessel using Marine Channel 13. If there is no response, the operator will leave the bridge and go to the next appointment.

The Call-out Operator schedules all the appointments for efficient use of time by grouping boats and limiting the amount of driving time between bridges.

My guess is you'll have LOTS of company going through the bridge(s) after the show.

Edited by - delliottg on 07/03/2014 17:37:37
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  10:20:37  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
Thanks for the info. I saw that page as well, I just ended up calling the bridge the day of to ask what the plan was for after the fireworks. If anyone else is curious, it sticks to the regular schedule of closing at 11pm and stays closed until 12:30am to allow people to leave Gasworks and the surrounding areas. At 12:30am, they will open the bridge, but if you miss that you have to call and schedule an hour in advance.

That being said, it was actually really easy to get through. I stayed anchored while all the power boats left. Then at 12:15am we weighed anchor and headed toward the bridge. It opened at 12:32am and we were off back to Salmon Bay.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  10:52:41  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page