Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Water in Battery Compartment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoergK
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/08/2014 :  08:25:44  Show Profile
I have a persistent leak somewhere so that water enters the battery compartment (2003 C250 WK). I checked the attachments of rudder and motor mount. They are tight. I cannot see behind the waste holding tank, could there be a problem in that area? Or elsewhere...
Any suggestions?

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2014 :  12:09:21  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Joerg, wheel or tiller?

On our 2005 Wheel C250 we had a small hole in the rubber gasket that the Rudder arm passed through. Pretty sure that was where the water came in.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2014 :  14:28:20  Show Profile

Perhaps it could be the fuel locker?
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26989

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2014 :  16:08:08  Show Profile
Do you have stereo speakers installed back there somewhere? That could be a source.

If you have steering, you need to go below and look out on a sunny day. Any pinhole leaks in the boot will show up as bright specs of light. That boot is prone to wear, especially around the corners. It's a $50 replacement directly from Edson.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2014 :  05:35:43  Show Profile
you could clime in and check while someone sprays the out side with a hose ..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ruachwrights
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
258 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2014 :  11:40:11  Show Profile  Visit ruachwrights's Homepage
Mine leaks in that location too. At some point a previous owner had placed a loose rubber gasket to hold pulpit mounted outboard control rods. Some water always manages to make its way into the battery compartment. I just thought the leak was normal!

Vern Wright
Hajime

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JoergK
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2014 :  12:47:30  Show Profile
Thanks to all respondents. I have tiller steering.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

smithworld
Deckhand

Members Avatar

5 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2014 :  04:49:23  Show Profile
Hi,

I fixed a similar leak last winter which was caused by water getting into the coaming boxes. There was a seam along the cockpit-box joint which would allow water intrusion behind the rear bulkhead.

I also ended up making a new bulkhead and replacing that along with adding a battery charger, heater and battery monitor due to rot.

My suggestion would be to check that first. If you catch it soon enough it is a very easy thing to fix. Otherwise, you may be making a new bulkhead as well.

A little silicon, resin, or marine-tex should do the job. I used silicon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2014 :  04:56:39  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
On JD, I have noticed that the sealant behind the swim ladder, the fuel locker rails and the rudder mounts is deteriorating (not surprising here in South Florida). No signs of leaks yet, but my plan is to take the stainless steel off the stern this winter (cooler to be crawling around the trunk) and rebed them with Butyl.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  06:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Several years ago, a mod to deal with this was offered. If I recall correctly, the owner who offered it had a c/b so things might be slightly different for the w/k. At the ridge where the water collects just forward of the battery box, he drilled a few small holes forward into the ridge so as to drain into the bilge. DON'T DRILL DOWN

The effort stopped water from building up and coming over the ridge into the aft berth.

I can't recall if I performed the mod or not but the owner who offered it was a competent sailor and very much knew what he was doing with a sailboat. He agressively sailed his 250 a couple of years and then moved up to a much larger Catalina.

Edited by - Arlyn Stewart on 08/24/2014 06:14:22
Go to Top of Page

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  14:52:54  Show Profile
The person that wrote up the fix on drilling the holes was Oscar of Lady Kay. You drilled two 1/4 inch holes on a shallow angle from the battery compartment forward into the bilge. I don't remember the exact angle nor if one was even mentioned, but it does solve the problem of the wet aft berth. The cause was, as mentioned, the combing boxes on the 2003 and 2004 250's. For some reason they were not sealed along the bottom, just welded to the cockpit on the top and sides at the factory. You were correct about Oscars' sailing ability, he was one fine accomplished sailor.

Edited by - frog0911 on 08/24/2014 14:55:31
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  17:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Thanks Frog... my cerebral eprom seems to be failing more and more.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jefferydfloyd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2016 :  13:31:22  Show Profile  Visit jefferydfloyd's Homepage
I know this thread has been discussed several times. I occasionally get water in my aft battery compartment, which at times leaks over the lip into my aft berth. We are in the process of figuring out where the leak(s) is coming from, but also wanted to do the drill/ drain fix to get the water to drain from the battery compartment into the bilge. My questions:

1) How much space is there between the base of the battery compartment and the bottom hull... I know the suggestion is to drill at an angle, but would like to know how much leeway I have when drilling.

2) my first attempt I drilled right under the compartment opening (at an angle from the inside of the compartment drilling forward) and hit wood... I am guessing the bulkhead between the aft berth and battery compartment.

3) I cannot find the string that had the diagram... could anyone point me in the right direction?

Of course I am hesitant to drill not knowing exactly where, and exactly the right angle. Any and all help will be appreciated!

JF

Jeff Floyd
Go to Top of Page

frejoh
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2016 :  07:37:01  Show Profile
I see ads on TV for supposedly miracle sealant sprays, where they make boats from screen doors and such. The stuff now comes in white, too. Could that stop the leak if applied to the inside of the coaming box?

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2016 :  11:08:11  Show Profile
I bet it would but the drains would have to be kept open somehow.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2016 :  11:37:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by frejoh

I see ads on TV for supposedly miracle sealant sprays, where they make boats from screen doors and such. The stuff now comes in white, too. Could that stop the leak if applied to the inside of the coaming box?

Why do you assume that the leak is in the coaming box? I'd do some dye tests first to confirm, before resorting to such drastic measures. You might find your spray-on goo looking pretty ugly after a couple years of UV exposure.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page