Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Swing Keel Hanger Installation Cost
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2014 :  13:51:09  Show Profile
My boat yard just completed the installation of the new bronze hangers as well as new cable. They did a great (as well as careful) job. Now they are at a loss for knowing what to charge me for the job. I bought all the parts. It's pure labor. Any one have past experience with the cost? How many hours did it take any if you do it yourselfers?

Good to be back at sea!

Edited by - on

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  05:01:16  Show Profile
Don't they have a standard hourly rate? Changing the cable should be about 1 hour. I hope you changed the turning ball, too. With the right equipment, keel support dolly, jacks, all thread, etc. I would estimate 2-3 hours to change out the hangers. Could take all day if they've never done it before.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  05:10:48  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />Don't they have a standard hourly rate? Changing the cable should be about 1 hour. I hope you changed the turning ball, too. With the right equipment, keel support dolly, jacks, all thread, etc. I would estimate 2-3 hours to change out the hangers. Could take all day if they've never done it before.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You hit it on the head. It did take all day as it was the only one they ever did. They have an hourly rate but they recognize it shouldn't have taken that long. That's why I'm trying to get an idea how long it should take. And yes, I got the whole kit that included the turning ball. Thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2014 :  16:23:01  Show Profile
Maybe you can compromise on 4 hours, and suggest that they mark the rest up to on-the-job-training. To support the swing keel as it comes down, others here have built a support dolly out of 4x4's with braced uprights to hold the keel vertical. It takes 4 pieces of all-thread with nuts the same size as the screws in the hanger bolts, each about 2 ft long. They are inserted one at a time in place of the screws, and the nuts are lowered a turn or two at a time until the front of the keel is resting in the support dolly. Two jacks are recommended, one for each end of the keel to keep it level.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2014 :  17:08:18  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
If it were my business, I would probably have standards set for procedures.

Lift boat from trailer onto jackstands.

Labor hours for custom work

Lift boat from jackstands to trialer

Done.

Paul.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  08:03:15  Show Profile
Guys... Sailboats are the minority here on an in-land lake. Swing keels even more so. The marina where I had my work done is extremely competent but as one of you suggested, this was a first. They had the use of a fork lift to lower the keel down to a make-shift cradle so there is no trailer involved. They do have an hourly rate and they do charge for lifting out and dropping back into the water. As a matter of course they always pressure wash the bottom. There's a machine shop on site for grinding down the castings. And, I did print out all of the notes from everyone who posted their experience with this project as well as all of the pictures. They also admit to taking their time to get it right the first time.

So as you can see, when they told me they didn't know how to price the repair, they were being honest. They asked for my input and that is where I turned to the forum to get an idea of how many hours the job generally takes. I hope more of you who have had this job done by a yard or you did it yourself will chime in with the amount of time it took (not how much time you think it should take, though that is helpful too). Thanks everyone.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  11:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
I lowered my keel several weeks ago. It was my first time using a jack and the 2' long 3/8" threaded rods. It took me three hours doing it manually and slowly. I was thinking if they charged you 3 hours, that would be reasonable. But in the future 1-2 hours should be proper with experience. I am hoping when I go to put it back on, they can lower the boat onto it while in the cradle. Will see!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailorbaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
26 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  15:29:25  Show Profile
My boat was in the yard last year for this job but we used a different method. They already had a steel cradle for the keel from a different swing keel boat which they modified by welding on a couple of side supports. With the keel wound up they put the cradle under the keel with a fork lift and took the weight. I undid the bolts and as they lowered it, I wound down the cable. This took about half an hour.
I had the hull and the keel sand blasted - there was about 10 years' worth of anti foul on there. It took me a while to scrape out the oyster shell from the tunnel - and no I didn't eat them but there was a strong fishy smell which I was covered in working underneath!
I replaced the cable and turning ball, anti fouled and when ready the keel was lifted up with the FLT and I put the bolts in. The keel was lowered, I attached the cable and wound it up and then the cradle was lifted out. This took about an hour.
Sailorbaz

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  15:44:44  Show Profile
Thanks! Keep them coming. A few more and I should have a fair number to tell them and be done with it. By the way, RSII is back in the water. They weren't holding up releasing her. We just said we'd settle up in a few days when we figured this out. (I'm originally from NYC so I believe I can fairly say this) You wouldn't find a whole lot of shipyards releasing a boat after a major job with no payment first. Like I said, real nice people down here!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2014 :  13:16:11  Show Profile
That's the south for you! Where are you keeping your boat, i.e. what lake?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2014 :  13:23:19  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />That's the south for you! Where are you keeping your boat, i.e. what lake?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Pickwick Dam Lake. It's part of the Tennessee river just south of Jackson, TN. She's berthed at the Pickwick State Park Marina. I've got her listed in the "Map Your Boat" section of this website. Beautiful area. Have the ability to motor/sail down the Tom Bigbee which is a man made passage that leads into Mobile Bay, AL or go through the dam up to Kentucky Lake

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page