Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Racing Forum
 Need Race Crew - Annapolis
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/13/2014 :  09:09:37  Show Profile
I'm buying a fully race equipped Cal 25 to race one design out of Annapolis. My first race will be in the Annapolis NOOD Regatta, May 2-4. I'll also be racing during the summer in the Friday evening beer can races in Annapolis Harbor, as well as a full season of one design racing.

I'll need crew. No racing experience is required. You'll learn while doing. I'll also need someone who can rig and fly a symmetrical spinnaker on a small boat. If you'd like to have some fun racing, please reply here or by private email.

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - on

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  03:48:34  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I wish my schedule was a bit more flexible, I'd have made the trip to get involved in that!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  06:24:00  Show Profile
I emailed you a copy of the Cal 25 racing schedule for this summer, John. If you can make it for any of those events, you'll be welcome aboard. Just let me know!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  07:02:19  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Thanks Steve... boy it's tempting lemme see what my schedule gives.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  07:35:32  Show Profile
For anyone who wants to learn to race, the Friday evening beer can racing is a good choice. It's more casual, there's only one race an evening, and the races are all non-spinnaker.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  08:31:36  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Geesh that takes all the fun out of it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kc5dlo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  09:40:37  Show Profile
I used to own a Cal25. One of my all time favorites.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  10:10:51  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kc5dlo</i>
<br />I used to own a Cal25. One of my all time favorites.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I've crewed on them alot since going to the Bay, and they're always fun. The local racing fleet is one of the most competitive fleets on the Bay, and they host their national regatta every third year.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  10:52:49  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Looking in my Piggy Bank, only need to find about a grand for the trip! And a few days off work! And SWMOB permission

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2014 :  06:50:39  Show Profile
That's tempting Steve. If I wasn't so busy on our boat, I might consider joining you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2014 :  12:59:39  Show Profile
I'd join Steve anyway, Dave. You would learn more in one race with him than anyone else I know except perhaps Chuck Shaw.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2014 :  07:10:24  Show Profile
Well, we had no joy in the NOOD. We didn't have the crew to fly the spinnaker efficiently, and couldn't be competitive. We raced yesterday in a race from Annapolis to St. Michael's, and finished in 2nd place to Dave Hoyt, a legend of the Cal fleet, who gave us all a lesson in spinnaker tactics.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2014 :  08:32:46  Show Profile
Some folks enjoy reading the accounts of races, so, for anyone interested, here's a short account of this race.

Last Saturday Fahrvernugen scored a second place in the race from Annapolis to St. Michaels. Our crew consisted of Tom O Farrell, Jon Redifer and myself. Tom worked foredeck, Jon worked the pit, and I had the helm and did what they didn't have enough hands to do.

We were the second Cal 25 across the starting line, raised the spinnaker immediately, and had a long spinnaker run down the Bay past Bloody Point Light, neck-and-neck with the lead boat at times. We made the turn into Eastern Bay in third place and held the spinnaker as long as we could, but decided to douse it when the spinnaker began to overpower the rudder, and we were on the edge of broaching. We then began to reach with the #1 genoa.

We gradually gained ground on the 2nd place boat, and drove to windward of it. He took us up to windward, but we began the pass with a burst of speed, and he wasn't able to hold us off. When we got on his wind, he dropped back abruptly and we drew ahead. We rounded the next mark and hoisted the spinnaker again for the run to the finish line. The boat that we had just passed worked hard to gain ground on us and to take back 2nd place from us, but was unsuccessful.

Thanks to Tom and Jon for good crew work! That's what it takes to win a race.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 05/27/2014 08:33:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page