Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 rusted keel block bolts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Member Avatar

71 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/08/2014 :  08:16:58  Show Profile
I just purchased a 1995 Catalina 250 WB model. The previous owner lefting it sitting on dry dock for a few years, with varying amounts of water sitting on the sole. Despite that the sole seems pretty solid still.

My question however has to down with two completely rusted bolts about 6-8 inches behind the compression post in the sole. they seem to go right through the floor into the tunnel where the swing keel sits. they appear to hold a pulley up in the tunnel for the keel cables to ride along.

sorry, i don't have pictures right now, i'll get some this weekend when i go to the boat.

i'd like to replace those bolts, but i'm a little hesitant because they go all the way through the hull. Has anyone replaced these before? Is there anything to watch out for?

thanks

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  10:41:23  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
It sounds like you are referring to the bolts that secure the strap in the keel trunk.

<center>
<b>C250 Centerboard Raising Cable</b>
Here`s a nice picture posted by Henk showing the method of the Centerboard Raising Line</center>

This should help.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  11:26:01  Show Profile
Yes, the turning sheave in the lower right corner picture of the trunk is what i'm talking about. i could not tell from the boat itself that is actually what raises and lowers the keel.

is there anything waterproofing wise i'll need to do in order to replace the bolts? my boat is still up on blocks and i can drop the keel a little i'm pretty sure i can get them out. but i assume this is a flooded region under the boat, i'd prefer not sink my boat upon launch :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  11:26:44  Show Profile
lower left corner of the picture sorry...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page