Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 How to remove very decal adhesive?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cwstrang
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/08/2014 :  06:54:04  Show Profile
Guys: Greetings from St Helens. I removed some very old decals but there is this this ghost shadow that remains. Is there something out there that will remove it completely. Thanks, Craig

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  08:02:08  Show Profile
If by "shadow" you mean the gelcoat under the decals that hasn't faded or weathered, I suspect the only way is compounding the rest of the hull.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/08/2014 08:03:03
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  08:10:00  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
FYI, I replaced the Vinyl Lettering on the side of JD around 18months ago, still have the ghost!

Just ordered the Makita Buffer in prep for a major glow job!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  08:33:49  Show Profile
I remove old adhesive with almost any solvent, such as mineral spirits or paint thinner.

I renamed my boat and the old name left a ghost in the gelcoat. The ghost is usually because, where the gelcoat is covered by a decal, the gelcoat doesn't chalk, but the area around it does chalk. I ignored it, and after the newly exoposed gelcoat chalked for a year, and after the next time I waxed it, the ghost was no longer visible.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  06:49:54  Show Profile
I have the same problem after removing stripes and old name adhesive decals. I am considering 600 grit sandpaper on the gloss epoxy surface. (Just enough rubbing to kill the super shine) What do you guys think? Just got back home after 3 months in Arizona and getting my boat ready!
Chief

Edited by - Chief RA on 04/15/2014 06:52:53
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  11:53:23  Show Profile
I found some high quality 600 grit wet sand paper and it does work! Just be careful if you have a shine surface on your boat as it will degloss the glass. In my case it made it all about match as close as I can tell. Back to work! Chief

Edited by - Chief RA on 04/15/2014 12:25:44
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  12:43:31  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I used 1200 grit wet and dry (very wet) to try removing the ghosts, it dulled the shine, but I wasn't brave enough to keep going to see what it would take to remove them.

Still waiting for nice weather to polish the hull (deck will come later)

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  16:21:17  Show Profile
Any deglossing that you do with 600 grit can be undone by standing with 1000 and 2000, then compounding and polishing.

Alternatively, just bring the rest of the fiberglass up to a uniform gloss by polishing like Paul is planning to do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page