Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Nose job
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indecentseas
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/09/2014 :  23:27:00  Show Profile
Recently I asked about a problem I was having with water in my v-berth. As I contemplate my repair though things just seem wrong. I am trying to figure out what is going on with the nose of my boat on the inside. It might help me if someone with a similar vintage boat (78) could see if your nose looks similar to mine.

From the outside of my boat everything looks fine to me. No signs of any bad repair jobs by previous owners. But from the inside, the nose of my boat looks like someone did a slapdash repair.

I hope this picture communicates what is going on.

To get here I just popped off the decorative hatch towards the bow of my boat in the v-berth. What seems to be going on is the fiberglass on the inside walls of the boat go forward but then end sharply about 4 inches from the very nose end of the boat. It looks like there must also be an outer wall of fiberglass that forms the outside wall of the boat. I can actually put my fingers into this gap between the inner and outer layers of fiberglass. It's messy. There is a dark grey substance all over the inside of the outer wall. Whatever it is, it looks like someone has smeared some of the excess of this material on the sides of the inner wall.

Above all of this is the anchor locker. This strange ending of the inner wall continues up there as well, though it seems more effort has gone into filling in the gap between inner and outer walls. Here is a picture of the anchor locker.

The ending of the inner wall is less obvious here in the anchor locker but it occurs where the colour of the side walls turns darker. Towards the top of this seem I am again able to put my fingers in between the two walls of fiberglass.

Also in this photo you can see the focus of my concern: The water pooling in the front of the anchor locker. Is this drain system normal? It's just a hole straight through the hull to let water drain out.

My main goal here is to stop water seeping into my v berth. I'm wondering if I need to do more than just get the water pooling in my anchor locker to flow out. I'm wondering if water is getting in through this seem between inner and outer walls of my hull.

Thanks for the help. And in particular, thanks to redeye for the tips on my last post on this problem.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27982

David Hopkins
Vancouver, British Columbia
'78 Swing Keel, Standard Rig, Dinette

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2014 :  05:17:43  Show Profile
IMHO and my advice is worth what you paid for it.....

I can't comment on the specific design of a 1978 but your boat looks typical of a 35 year old boat.

Get to work. Probably leaking at the: ( in no particular order )

A. Deck to hull joint.

B. Cleats

C. Forstay Tang through bolts

D. hatch gasket

E. Edges of (or just) Locker floor

Yepper... I thought about working on mine this weekend, but I just went out sailing instead... I've been fixing the leaks on mine for about 7 years now..

Anyhoo... You might take a hole saw drill the same size of some PVC pipe and drill out the drain, first from the inside to get the liner and then from the outside to get the hull, and then resin in a new ( BIGGER ) drain line. I think PVC is the right material.. I havn't done one in so long I don't know what they are selling nowadays. I've done two like this on other boats in the past. One job kinda like this I did on a fiberglass canoe to add a opening across the front of the nose so I could add a line through it to add a painter line.

Anything you can't get to is probably leaking... just like anything we can't see ( you don't photograph ) we hafta guess at..

If my boat quit leaking I'd probably become bored with it and go out and buy another boat.

OH.. and yes I'd second that... like to see some pictures of the inside of the nose on some other 78s...

Edited by - redeye on 03/10/2014 05:23:52
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2014 :  11:00:48  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redeye</i>
If my boat quit leaking I'd probably become bored with it and go out and buy another boat.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2014 :  11:33:47  Show Profile
I have a 78 how did you take this picture? was it through the anchor locker. Not sure how you got this view but if you tell me,Saturday morning I can snap a few pictures.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indecentseas
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2014 :  07:41:01  Show Profile
stang,

Upper picture is taken inside the boat at the very front. At the bow end of my v-berth is a wall with a removable hatch. The hatch is decorated with an anchor carved through it. I removed the hatch. The picture is what is what is fore of that hatch. The lower photo is simply the fore area of the anchor locker. I popped the anchor locker open and took a shot of the inside, looking forward. I'm really interested to know what both areas look like on your boat. My current thinking is that the upper photo of the inside of the boat is largely original with a bit of grey muck put in to slow leaking. I suspect the upper photo of the anchor locker is not how the boat was built. It just makes no sense that the drain for the anchor locker could be so poorly positioned.

Thanks for the offer. I look forward to your photos and observations.

Anyone else?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2014 :  08:05:18  Show Profile
Ok good deal I will crawl up front for the pictures Saturday morning.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2014 :  09:41:30  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by indecentseas</i>
<br />stang,

Upper picture is taken inside the boat at the very front. At the bow end of my v-berth is a wall with a removable hatch. The hatch is decorated with an anchor carved through it. I removed the hatch. The picture is what is what is fore of that hatch. The lower photo is simply the fore area of the anchor locker. I popped the anchor locker open and took a shot of the inside, looking forward. I'm really interested to know what both areas look like on your boat. My current thinking is that the upper photo of the inside of the boat is largely original with a bit of grey muck put in to slow leaking. I suspect the upper photo of the anchor locker is not how the boat was built. It just makes no sense that the drain for the anchor locker could be so poorly positioned.

Thanks for the offer. I look forward to your photos and observations.

Anyone else?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2014 :  09:42:46  Show Profile
Sorry I forgot the text...

That is the correct spot, right out the front.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2014 :  18:47:03  Show Profile
In a different thread . . . and in the past I have mentioned that my boat required significant repair at the bow/deck area. It looked similar to your pics before the repair (albeit the exterior also was a mess) and the "professional" when first looking it over simply said an amature job where they did a hail Mary rather than a proper glass/resin/glass/resin repair.

First clean with a mold killing agent like ammonia, then observe. I bet the anchor locker drain has been "clogged" but more importantly look at the glass and resin to see if it was a superficial/cosmetic repair or if they focused on the structurally integrity of the job.

Edited by - bigelowp on 03/13/2014 18:48:20
Go to Top of Page

Alan Clark
Captain

Members Avatar

406 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2014 :  06:49:26  Show Profile
A Friend of mine who also owns a 25 drilled out the drain hole and placed a larger pipe and glassed that in, hence no more drain clogged with leaves etc.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Alan Clark
Captain

Members Avatar

406 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2014 :  07:05:05  Show Profile
A Friend of mine who also owns a 25 drilled out the drain hole and placed a larger pipe and glassed that in, hence no more drain clogged with leaves etc.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2014 :  13:52:34  Show Profile
[URL=http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/stang9150/media/IMG_0636_zps0cc608a4.jpg.html]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indecentseas
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2014 :  14:40:33  Show Profile
Thanks for the photo, Stang. Very helpful. It looks like the structure of my nose is the same and that all that grey stiff was slapped on in an attempt to stop a leak. So my final question on this is: Is my anchor locker stock? Stang, (or anyone with a similar vintage) what does your anchor locker look like at the nose? Is the drain (as it is on my boat) about an inch above the low point of the anchor locker? Does the drain flow forward out the bow of the boat?

Thanks all.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2014 :  16:06:30  Show Profile
indecent: I think yes, yours looks stock. Use a wire or something thin to clean out the drainage hole. Once it is draining freely, you may not have leaks. I forget which owner posted a great article, on anchor locker rebuild...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page