Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Water in the v berth
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indecentseas
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/04/2014 :  16:48:19  Show Profile
It's time to plug some leaks. I have a problem in the winter in the v-berth with the underside of my cushions getting wet. It looks like I have a notable amount of water seeping in from the bow. At the extreme bow end of my v berth there is a bulkhead with a little hatch. The water seems to be coming in through the base of that bulkhead. I popped the hatch off. There I see what looks like the end end of the inner hull and ahead of it the outer hull. Water seems to be getting in between these and then into the inner hull.

All of this is underneath the anchor locker. I had a look in there. The spout for water to leave the anchor locker is at the bow end. The water escape hole is not at the very base of the compartment though so there is a pool of water, maybe 1/2 an inch deep at the bow end that probably just sits there all the time. Perhaps this is slowly seeping down into the inner hull and then through the forward hatch and into the v berth.

Any tips on fixing this. Seeems to me a good start is to get that water to drain completely from the anchor locker. Can I also make the whole thing more water-tight?

Here is the inside of the v berth looking forward with the hatch removed. (Photos should now work.)

A closer look. You can see the white of the inner hull ending as it goes forward. Ahead, that blackness seems o be the outer hull.

Inside that hatch opening, looking down. What a mess.

Now the outside of the boat. In the anchor locker, looking forward. Note the pool of nasty black water siting there with the drain hole just above it.

David Hopkins
Vancouver, British Columbia
'78 Swing Keel, Standard Rig, Dinette

Edited by - indecentseas on 03/04/2014 17:15:05

indecentseas
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2014 :  16:51:44  Show Profile
Damn, photos didn't work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lessaintes/12935399655/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lessaintes/12935508283/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lessaintes/12935819834/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lessaintes/12935810634/in/photostream/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2014 :  16:53:44  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
David, you would do better using your membership account to post your pics. Sadly none of them are showing broken images, whereas images uploaded to the Association site are kept even when your flikr account is obsolete.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2014 :  20:45:23  Show Profile
Hi David - It looks like you may need to re-glass the interior of the anchor locker. Mine actually has a loop that goes up to the foredeck. I built a chiminey from a pipe flange and a rubber furnco fitting to seal it off. Yours appears to be a much easier fix. I also tilt my bow down to be sure any water runs out the drain. Up here it doesn't mean much as the water freezes anyway.

Regards,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2014 :  21:22:51  Show Profile
From the photo it appears the drain is clogged. I had an identical problem in my anchor locker last year with several inches of standing water. Ran a wire through the drain and haven't had water inside the cabin since. Obviously it doesn't correct any leaks in the locker (I haven't reglassed), but the water doesn't accumulate enough to leak into the v-berth anymore.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  04:19:01  Show Profile
My anchor locker leaked when I got the boat. I cleaned it really well and added several layers of glass then painted with truck bed liner. Put something in the drain that you can remove when finished when doing this. Also, I have to keep the drain clear. I do it with a piece of clothes hanger wire. Bugs get in it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  05:59:03  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> then painted with truck bed liner.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Surprised to see someone else discovered this. I used truck bed liner to completely waterproof a floor locker in an older boat I once owned. Bullet proof. I always thought to recommend it to guys here that wanted to seal up the bilges and keel bolts that were not stainless.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  06:28:10  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; I cleaned it really well and added several layers of glass then painted with truck bed liner. &gt;&gt;

Sounds like a fun project before it gets too hot outside.

Sand it down some.
Wash it out good with water and then wipe it down with acetone.
Plug the drain hole from the inside with a well oiled wooden plug.
Pour and spread a layer of gluvit. Let it kick.

Pour and spread out a layer of resin.
Lay down a layer of fiberglass matt ( probably in strips )and roll it out to saturate with resin.
I'm afraid if I let the matt strips come up on the liner sides it would eventually pop off leaving a nasty edge, so I think I'd just leave the matt on the level bottom, up to the edges, and not come up the sides.
Wait for it to kick.

Paint again all over with another layer of resin ( tint the resin white ), especially the edges of the matt. Let that kick.

Maybe another layer of Gluvit.

Pull the plug out. ( or check it between each step )

I havn't done a glass job in a while. ( well.. except for a gluvit job. ) .. I'd be tempted to put a poly deck paint over the whole job. ( topsides polyurethane paint )

Does that sound like a plan???

Edited by - redeye on 03/05/2014 06:45:06
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  07:17:30  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Just don't buy the Gluvit from Wallys mart!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  07:26:39  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; Just don't buy the Gluvit from Wallys mart! &gt;&gt;

West Marine..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  07:29:28  Show Profile
And of course you could enlarge the drain ( and seal it ) like Frank did..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailorbaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
26 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  14:50:10  Show Profile
Before I took my boat out of the water for a refit I hadn't looked in the v berth for a while. When I did there were about 10 buckets of water in there - it was salty, so not from raining in. It turned out to be the eye bolt which had only been used to launch the boat 18 months before. It was loose and although above the water line, I guess it was allowing water in every time we sailed.
I dried out the teak v shaped block and sealed it with Sikaflex 291. Problem solved!
Sailorbaz

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailorbaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
26 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  14:51:13  Show Profile
Before I took my boat out of the water for a refit I hadn't looked in the v berth for a while. When I did there were about 10 buckets of water in there - it was salty, so not from raining in. It turned out to be the eye bolt which had only been used to launch the boat 18 months before. It was loose and although above the water line, I guess it was allowing water in every time we sailed.
I dried out the teak v shaped block and sealed it with Sikaflex 291. Problem solved!
Sailorbaz

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2014 :  12:26:25  Show Profile
I had a similar problem with my 1982 C25. A friend of mine brought a mechanics camera over and I ran water over the top while he found the leak. It turned out to be leaking around the outside of the anchor locker brass drain tube. I found a wooden dowel that fit closely in the tube and used JB weld around the anchor locker end of the tube while moving the dowel as it set up. It hasn't leaked in a couple of years now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page