Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Table to V-Birth Bed Conversion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oregonworld
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/25/2013 :  11:11:16  Show Profile  Visit oregonworld's Homepage
Does anyone know a system for lowering the dinette table on a 250 so that it drops down flush with the settees and creates a larger V-Birth.

I seems that the system was built to remove the table and store the table below the the v-birth (kind of a pain.) Most camp-trailers I've been in are built so the table simply drops down and the seat pads slide over it to create a bed.

This doesn't seem to be the case though. There is a through bolt into the mast support pole with a lock nut that would seem to lower the whole table but this is not a quick task.

Any advice, products or systems out there would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jared

Jared Cruce
1997 250WK "Inspiration"
Honda 9.9
Ashland, OR

Edited by - on

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2013 :  14:06:11  Show Profile
I think your vintage of C250 has a table mechanism that was replaced during the next model year. It's not particularly strong (at least on the boats that I saw with that mechanism), and if you could arrange to lower the table, it would be unlikely to hold up well with people on it.

In order to make a drop-down berth, you'd probably need to cut a new table that's a perfect fit to the settees, add firring strips near the tops of the settees to help support the weight, and install the stronger pedestal mount that the C250 has had since 1998 (plus make custom cushions, and find a place to store them). You could then purchase or make two pedestal tubes - one for normal table height, and a shorter one for bed height.

I know that at least one person has built a table to enlarge the sleeping area, but not sure he did it the way I'm suggesting.

Personally, I find no need to expand the sleeping area. My wife and I put our heads on the front of the A-berth, and our legs on the settees. We remove the back rests to give us a couple more inches width. I modified my cabin table to get it out of the way when we're not eating - much preferable to the difficult storage location under the berth area:

<center></center>

I decided on this modification after a lengthy process where I first considered making a brand new table from scratch. That design process that led me to this is shown in [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24328&whichpage=1"]this thread[/url].

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2013 :  19:00:12  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<center>[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+1000+41"]
<b>The Table</b>[/url]
We wanted a table that could be lowered to extend the V-Berth. Here`s what I came up with.</center>

Always worth a review

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

oregonworld
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2013 :  19:11:53  Show Profile  Visit oregonworld's Homepage
Paul-

Nicely done. I also like your new tarp. Any problems with the tarp rubbing or wearing on the gelcoat. Also, how does the wind do coming from the stern? What size is the tarp?

Jared

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2013 :  04:40:03  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The Tarp is HD PVC 30' x 20' cost about $200 but so far is lasting pretty well.

It barely touches the gelcoat, I have it lashed down every 2 feet to the trailer.

Our boat trailer sits facing North, and the winds here are rarely from the south. But it just billows out when the wind does come from the stern.

I use noodles to soften the sharpish edges (deck light, stanchion tops etc.)

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2013 :  10:49:35  Show Profile
I took a piece of PVC pipe and replaced the metal tube that supports the table. I don't recall the exact dimensions but I think it was 19" long x 3" diameter. That dropped the table to the level of the berth. With the right thickness foam, it came up to flush with the top of the v-berth mattress. The only problem is that the fittings that hold the original tube are a hair larger than 3". I used shims as an interim fix until I can come up with the right diameter tubing. The shims are less than ideal. I think I will add cleats like the ones on Paul's mod to stabilize the edges a bit better.

Edited by - John Russell on 11/27/2013 10:50:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page