Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Keel turning ball
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailorbaz
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Australia
26 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/01/2013 :  02:45:40  Show Profile
I've just taken the keel cable winch off and removed the cable and hose - the keel is already dropped - and the turning ball is seized solid. The cable has been sliding over one spot and it's worn down a lot.
I have a new ball and pin from CD. My question is - what method have others used to get the pin and the old ball out?
Any help gratefully received.
Sailorbaz

Sailorbaz
1981 Boomaroo 25, (C25) SK/SR, inboard diesel, Red Robin
South coast, New South Wales, Australia

Edited by - on

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2013 :  04:07:20  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
i squirted the hell out of it with penetrating oil and used a drift punch and hammer from he side. not alot of room to swing which is just as well seeing how you might damage the tube by swinging too hard. thought about getting one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/palm-nailer-68027.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2013 :  04:52:01  Show Profile
The one my boat was the same way. The PO had never done any maintenance on it and the cable had cut through one side of the ball and into the pin.

I used a C-clamp and two sockets to get it started. The one socket was about the same diameter as the pin. I think it was a 1/4". The other was big enough for the pin to pass through. It took about 3 hands to get it all held in place, but it worked well enough.

Give the tube a good wiggle while you're down there. I found mine was a little loose.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2013 :  10:53:23  Show Profile
My pin was not seized, have you tried to push it through?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailorbaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
26 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2013 :  12:33:47  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies.
I haven't tried to push the pin out yet. It's soaking in penetrating oil at the moment.
I will try to get it out tomorrow.
Sailorbaz

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2013 :  15:10:09  Show Profile
Hello Sailorbaz - Mine was easy because the PO had done it a few years earlier. I lubed it with a little grease when I put the new one in. He was on saltwater and it looked pretty good. I think if you re-do it every 3 years you should be fine in the future. At 3 year interval, the cost is only about $50 a season which is inexpensive insurance in my opinion. Best of luck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailorbaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
26 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2013 :  23:13:19  Show Profile
Hi all,
I've got it out now using a combination of hitting it with hammer and drift and the C-clamp with a couple of sockets idea - thanks for that.
I would have posted a photo but it looks exactly like Frank's - worn down to the pin.
The tube is secure, it doesn't move at all. I'm going to assemble the new one with waterproof grease.
Sailorbaz

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pcumberpatch
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2013 :  18:34:49  Show Profile
Glad you got it out;, we've been there! just a suggestion though; when you thread the new cable thru the tube and over the ball, make sure you've got the cable on the the proper side of the ball. Otherwise, the geometry of the cable to the keel connection will result in the cable cutting into the tube as the keel comes up and down...On my boat, the po had the cable on the wrong side of the ball and it started to cut into the tube. Good Luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2013 :  19:00:18  Show Profile
Paige, I am not sure I understand your advice. If the wire rope is forward of the ball it will saw a line in the hull but not the ball. The line has to go over the ball on the aft side so it has a fair lead out of the boat. Even then you would get some sawing on the hull when the ball is worn.

Edited by - pastmember on 11/10/2013 19:02:41
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2014 :  14:31:38  Show Profile
So which is the correct side of the ball ? Forward of the ball or aft of it ?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailorbaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
26 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2014 :  14:58:08  Show Profile
Hi Nick,
Definitely on the aft side.
I'm interested in how the anodising works out. I'm thinking of having mine done when the boat's out of the water again.
Are you going to use your boat as a trailer sailer or will you keep it somewhere on Port Phillip Bay?
Sailorbaz

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2014 :  02:09:35  Show Profile
Sailorbaz, I plan to keep it on the trailer and use it in Queensland in the winters I used to have a home on the Broadwater at Cabbage Tree Point but now live in Victoria.
Port Phillip Bay sucks so I will sail up north.
Mind you It is not the type of boat you chuck off the trailer just for a day sail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2014 :  05:40:18  Show Profile

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2014 :  06:01:19  Show Profile
I am looking for the blue print type drawing for a C25 timber tiller.
Any one have an idea where I can find a drawing of that.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Members Avatar

460 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2014 :  06:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by worane</i>
<br />I am looking for the blue print type drawing for a C25 timber tiller.
Any one have an idea where I can find a drawing of that.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Nick, I suggest you repost this as a new topic, it will get more replies that way and be relevant to it's own subject.

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Deltarat
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2014 :  11:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Deltarat's Homepage
Thanks for the great information, I'm planning on doing this project in the next couple of weeks, trying to get my boat back on the water by the end of May early June. I just finished replacing the pivot pin assembly (quite a project) and have some failed filler on the Keel I need to grind out and replace.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2014 :  12:30:45  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dasreboot</i>
<br />i squirted the hell out of it with penetrating oil and used a drift punch and hammer from he side. not alot of room to swing which is just as well seeing how you might damage the tube by swinging too hard. thought about getting one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/palm-nailer-68027.html
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Son-in-law has one, works really well. Don't hold the nails the way shown in the video, it tickles if you happen to press too hard!

When you throw in the cost of a compressor (I don't have one) it makes the Cordless palm nailers quite attractive.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page