Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Back to Boston
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diySailor
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/17/2013 :  19:22:54  Show Profile
Launched the boat the end of June and sailed Narragansett Bay to Block Island for the Fourth. Beautiful sunny morning sail past Point Judith but the Block was nowhere to be found...the fog never lifted and made a really rough ride into New Harbor as the seas were really confused. Lucky to find a place to anchor as the place was mobbed. The wind blew day and night but the little Delta held great. Was thinking of going over to Old Harbor but there had to be over 50 boats rafted together...no room. So we had to leave from New Harbor to set sail to Cuttyhunk on Friday. The problem with sailing through Rhode Island Sound to Buzzards Bay is that most winds are Southwest with following seas. The winds were 20 plus knots that required paying attention to jibing with the 6 to 8 foot following swells. I wouldn't want to do this trip with anything less than a 15 HP outboard as going through Woods Hole Channel and Hog Island Channel was really daunting even at almost Slack Tide. Once through the canal, the trip up Cape Cod Bay was a motoring exercise with no wind and HOT! Now, if we can only get rid of the doldrums and get some wind! It a great trip with lots of places to set the hook and this at the height of the boating seasone with no reservations!

Rog&Barb
1983 Catalina 25 SR/FK
HYC Hull, MA

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2013 :  20:35:26  Show Profile
If I need more power than my 9.9 high thrust, then I'm intimidated! Did you ever feel you were exceeding the capabilities of the boat?

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by - OJ on 07/17/2013 20:37:10
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2013 :  06:05:57  Show Profile
I also believe a 9.9 hp outboard <u>should</u> provide more than enough power to push a 25' sailboat to hull speed, but I recently had an experience that challenged my opinion. I helped a friend with a 26' swing keel sailboat powered by a 9.9 or 10 hp, 4 cycle Merc outboard, and it couldn't exceed about 5.4 kts, running wide open, in smooth waters, even though the carb was just professionally rebuilt and the engine tuned up. I saw the boat hauled, and the bottom was reasonably clean. I asked the mechanics if a different prop would help, but they didn't think so. The engine ran for about 10 hours a day at wide-open throttle for several days, and didn't miss a beat, but it just couldn't exceed 5.4 kts, even when motorsailing with the mainsail. When we were able to roll out the genoa, we were able to motorsail at times in excess of hull speed, but the engine alone couldn't get to hull speed. By comparison, my old Merc 2 cycle 7.9 hp outboard easily pushed my C25 to hull speed, unaided by sails. It sounded like the 4 cycle engine wasn't turning as high rpms as a 2 cycle engine. Do you suppose that's why it couldn't generate as much speed as a 2 cycle? I'm puzzled by it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2013 :  18:28:12  Show Profile
Sounds like either the prop has too much pitch or the throttle linkage is out of adjustment. Hard to tell until you can put a tach on it to see if it's operating in the correct power range for full throttle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2013 :  05:35:05  Show Profile
Rog
It sounds like it was a great trip to Block and never a dull moment with seas, wind and current until you got thru the canal. The winds this month went from strong to nil in the past week here in CT. Cold front is due on Sat PM Sun AM, and after that light airs again. I'd agree that those conditions are at the edge of a C25's design spec. Were you surfing down the waves in the following seas at full throttle? Were they long period waves or 6' chop?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2013 :  05:46:34  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />Sounds like either the prop has too much pitch or the throttle linkage is out of adjustment. Hard to tell until you can put a tach on it to see if it's operating in the correct power range for full throttle.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Good suggestions, Gary! I'll pass them along to my friend. Putting a tach on it should give him the information that will get him closer to a solution.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2013 :  07:00:54  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />Sounds like either the prop has too much pitch or the throttle linkage is out of adjustment. Hard to tell until you can put a tach on it to see if it's operating in the correct power range for full throttle.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I was thinking the same thing... If the prop is intended to drive a small inflatable on plane, it will either hold back the RPMs on a displacement hull, or it can cavitate, which can cause pitting on the blades. If it's designed to maneuver a mooring barge around the harbor (very low pitch and large blade area) it could over-rev on the sailboat without getting it to speed--the less likely case.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/19/2013 07:09:12
Go to Top of Page

diySailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2013 :  05:47:33  Show Profile
Not necessarily intimidated but a little apprehension! Going thru Woods Hole with a slight current against us made for difficult maneuvering when being passed by ferry and small freighter transports. Because slack tide can vary up to an hour either way, we went through at an hour before and found the current still pretty strong. With anything less than 15 HP, you would definitely want to pass through at the specified time. Currents in that passage have dragged the nav aids underwater so it definitely bears watching. It’s also interesting to note that the current can prevent you from transitting the passage if against you as well as throw you out of the channel if too strong with you.

The real problem was going up Hogs Island channel. This is around 35 feet deep with 3 to 10 feet deep flats on either side. The southwest wind provides a pretty long fetch so following seas can be 6 to 8 feet and as long as the period is OK not too bad a ride. However, when there’s traffic in the channel with larger powerboats passing both ways the chop from the wakes can make for a rough ride (cavitation now and then) and when going against the current the pitching back and forth can be pretty pronounced even with a sail up. Here’s where you notice speed thru the water vs speed over ground. It took most all of our 15 horses to get into Onset. For anyone wanting to go thru the canal it would be well advised to take the old shipping route that hugs the Cape Cod coast. Wind and waves tend to be less and well-marked. This is the way we went last fall and the way we’ll probably go from now on depending on conditions.

It’s a great cruise and the recommendation of the 15 HP was the extra margin available if timing through some areas is a little off or conditions deteriorate more than expected. BTWY, forecasting for marine conditions is very speculative! The boat can definitely handle the conditions we were in but every now and then I wished the motor was inboard!

On some of the rollers we surfed down we were doing over 7 knots but that was sailing. When motoring up Cape Cod Bay there was no wind, no waves and no Whales!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2013 :  06:25:04  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by diySailor</i>
<br />On some of the rollers we surfed down we were doing over 7 knots but that was sailing. When motoring up Cape Cod Bay there was no wind, no waves and no Whales!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

And no Camera? Wher're the Pics!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2013 :  18:33:54  Show Profile
So to recap, I charted your course on GeoGarage. You passed through the waters of Rhode Island Sound (open Atlantic) past Newport and entered Buzzards Bay with New Bedford and Mattapoisett on the mainland to port and the Elizabeth Islands to starboard.
Depending on the current flow there (northeast or southwest), seas could be favorable with a SW wind and NE current, or sloppy with opposing seas. You mentioned hugging the coast but with all the points and bays (and especially reefs), you'd have to be a hellacious navigator to attempt that run. So you might as well run right up the middle, as you said you did.
Once you passed Woods Hole (you did not have to transit the narrow channel), next step is to wait out the tidal change in Onset.
Looking at Hog Channel it seems like before there was a Cape Cod Canal, Buzzards Bay must have been about 5ft deep. Apparently it was dredged and maybe blasted to create the channel, but in many places along the channel you've got nowhere to go, even when the 40' stinkpotters wake you. You just have to take the pounding.
So then provided you've done your homework, passing through the Cape Cod Canal must be pretty sweet. It's all downhill, eddies and all.
Sorry you didn't see any whales - maybe next time!
An ambitious trip in interesting waters surrounded by every manner of boat and the constant possibility of fog banks. Bravo!

Edited by - Voyager on 07/20/2013 18:41:53
Go to Top of Page

diySailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2013 :  18:51:32  Show Profile
Here's a couple of pic's of the rollers we were in. Made good time but a bit of a challenge to keep course. We jibed to maintain a broad reach as running with the wind would have been way to uncomfortable.

Atlantic

Buzzards Bay

Anchoring rights-Onset

After leaving Cuttyhunk we went through Quicks hole into Vineyard Sound. Wanted to stop in Lake Tashmoo but didn't have time to make the slack tide at Woods Hole. Hugging the Cape Cod Coast eliminates most of the transit through Hogs Island Channel that can really be a tough go with chop and boat traffic. The nav aids are well positioned and the route is well away from most hazards and with a good set of charts and/or GPS it can be a very pleasant cruise.

I'll post a few more pictures later.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2013 :  20:19:26  Show Profile
That's the Buzzard's Bay I love (and fear)--big vertical wind chop on top of Atlantic swell--often crossing from two different directions. Nice shots!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2013 :  14:34:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by diySailor</i>
<br />
Buzzards Bay

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Ya see, I told ja he was intimidated - just look at those white knuckles!

Scarry!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

diySailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2013 :  19:05:11  Show Profile
The fog lifted just enough to see where to anchor in New Harbor, BI.

Windy anchorage with wind coming over hill that you'd think would block some of it.

1.5 miles to the other side of the Island...no fog and little wind.

Wanted to anchor in Old Harbor to get a head start to Cuttyhunk but that wasn't an option!

Still windy at Cuttyhunk

We stopped for about an hour for lunch and checked out a problem with the main that wouldn't hoist all the way up. When we started up the engine to leave we just kept the same direction that the boat was pointing in; just floating - no change due to current or wind in over an hour - amazing.

Minot Light just off the port bow on the way to Hull.

After a week on the water - back on our mooring.

Edited by - diySailor on 08/04/2013 05:54:14
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2013 :  19:25:52  Show Profile
Very nice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2013 :  19:53:39  Show Profile
New Harbor (Great Salt Pond) at Block is often quite windy and choppy if the wind is NW or SE--I've had big spray coming over the bow of my dinghy motoring back to my boat in the dark. New Harbor is calmer because it's a tiny fraction of the size, which also leads to what you saw. I've never even tried it.

I like listening to the surf breaking on the beach a short distance from the north end of GSP in the middle of a quiet night... and then there's the mysterious thumping against the bottom of the boat between maybe 2 and 5 AM, which I've been told is from some sort of eels. (?) ...and the song, "Ah-de-a-mo" from the pastry boat wandering the anchorage, awakening me each morning. It's a charming place after Labor Day, when the NJ crowds dissipate.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/04/2013 20:01:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page