Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Catalina Wing Keel 250 vs 250 MKII
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wasbon
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/30/2012 :  07:21:54  Show Profile
I recently purchased a wing keel Catalina 250. The seller states it is a 2007 250 MKII. It has the two large windows vs the one large and one small. The Catalina website states the MKII came out in June 2007. I have the boat, but still working on title paperwork.

1) If it has the two large windows on each side does that mean it is not an MKII?
2) Does anyone know what the differences are between the models?

Thanks

2007 250 WK #933
Indianapolis, IN

Edited by - on

mhartong
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
152 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  07:40:52  Show Profile  Visit mhartong's Homepage
The most notable differences between a late Model MK1 (2005) WK and a MK 2 (2007) WK are
1. The MK2 WK forward hatch is translucent, the MK1 hatch is solid fiberglass
2. The MK2 WK has two opening ports forward, one on either side of the salon, the MK1 does not.

Depending on the year of the MK1, there are additional differences between the MK1's and the MK2. For example, cooktop in the galley and where the fuel supply is kept or the type and where the backstay is anchored. You would need to specify the timeframe the MK 1 was built that you are comparing the MK2 in order to get a complete list of differences

Edited by - mhartong on 12/30/2012 07:53:16
Go to Top of Page

Wasbon
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  07:51:21  Show Profile
Ok, so my boat is really an MK1, not an MK2. I guess my next question is, were all 2007 MK2s or was it a split year where half were MK1s and half were MK2s?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  08:12:38  Show Profile
Since you have the boat, get the HIN off of the transom (starboard side, just under the rubrail). That will tell you the month of manufacture once you can decipher the code. Give Catalina a call and tell them the HIN and they can tell you its birthday and proper model name.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mhartong
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
152 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  08:21:31  Show Profile  Visit mhartong's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wasbon</i>
<br />Ok, so my boat is really an MK1, not an MK2. I guess my next question is, were all 2007 MK2s or was it a split year where half were MK1s and half were MK2s?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Persephone is a 2007 model year, but built in October of 2006, and is a MK1. I believe that the MK2 was "introduced" in late 2007 (October) as a 2008 model year at the Annapolis Boat show, The best way to be sure is the HIN check suggested by John.

Edited by - mhartong on 12/30/2012 08:24:33
Go to Top of Page

Wasbon
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  08:25:39  Show Profile
According to the bill of sale the ID# is CTYA0933K607. I will call Catalina this week unless I find a decoder online. Assuming it is an 07, but an MK1, does anyone think that should have had an impact on the selling price? Its a done deal, just would like to know if I missed a little on this one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mhartong
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
152 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  08:41:19  Show Profile  Visit mhartong's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wasbon</i>
<br />According to the bill of sale the ID# is CTYA0933K607. I will call Catalina this week unless I find a decoder online. Assuming it is an 07, but an MK1, does anyone think that should have had an impact on the selling price? Its a done deal, just would like to know if I missed a little on this one.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Most builders started using this format in January of 1985:

ZZZ 12345 A 5 88
ZZZ - MIC code (Unique to the company that built the hull)
12345 – Hull Serial number
A – Month of manufacture
5 – Year of manufacture
88 – Model year

All of this goes with the following letter designations for each month as follows:

January – A February – B March – C April – D May – E June – F
July – G August – H September – I October – J November – K December – L

Character nine is the letter of the alphabet that indicates the month during which construction or assembly began.

Character ten is the last numeral of the Year during which construction or assembly began.

Characters eleven and twelve are the last two numerals representing the Model Year for which the boat was built.

So for your HIN

CTYA Catalina Yachts
0933 Hull Number
K November
6 Construction in 2006
07. Model Year 2007

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Wasbon
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  08:41:37  Show Profile
OK, found this decoder, which would indicate it is a 2007 model year made in November of 2006.

"The HIN is a 12-element alphanumeric with the following elements.

1-3 Manufacturer ID. In this case Catalina is "CTY"

4-8 For the use of the manufacturer to provide unique identification for each hull. Catalina uses element 4 for the model; in the case of the C42 the element is "T". Catalina uses elements 5-8 for the hull number, currently 0xxx, but soon 1xxx.

9-10 represent the date of manufacture, defined as the time the boat is completed at the factory. Element 9 is a letter from A to L, denoting the month from January to December. Element 10 is the last digit of the year.

11-12 represent the model year. The two numbers are the last two digits of the model year.

Example:

CTYT0906I405

CTY = Catalina
T = C42
0906 = Hull number
I = Month of completion (September) - that's the letter "I", not the number one.
4 = the last digit of the year it was actually built (2004)
05 = model year"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Wasbon
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  08:48:08  Show Profile
Wow, looks like "Persephone" was the one made just before mine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  10:37:37  Show Profile
Well we now know that Persephone was the last C250 built in October 2006 and Wasbon's boat was the first built in November 2006.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2013 :  07:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
My suggestion is to not get caught up too much in MK numbers. If you bought the boat with the features you wanted, then all is good.

I've an early pre cat bird seat model and for the kind of sailing I do/did prefer not having them. I believe there may be some who upgraded to them.

Similarly, how a 250 is used could determine the value of the forward hatch change. Again, for the sailing I did, it would not have been a plus.

As to the port openings... if there hadn't been one in the head... it would have been no loss to me as it was always more headache than asset.

Edited by - Arlyn Stewart on 01/01/2013 07:51:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page