Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Dodger as Standard Item?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimGo
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/22/2012 :  21:01:30  Show Profile
Was a dodger included as a standard part of the C25's in the early to mid 80's?

- Jim
Formerly of 1984 C25 named Dragon Wing

NOTE: In my case, PLEASE don't confuse stars/number of posts with actual knowledge. On any topic.

Edited by - on

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2012 :  22:21:04  Show Profile
Definitely not standard. I don't know if it was even an option, but I seriously doubt it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

szymek
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
209 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2012 :  07:00:30  Show Profile
But that would be a nice feature wouldn't it. This is on my to upgrade list but unfortunately it landed on the very bottom of the list as that is only nice to have - but very very nice to have.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2012 :  15:11:15  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by szymek</i>
<br />But that would be a nice feature wouldn't it. This is on my to upgrade list but unfortunately it landed on the very bottom of the list as that is only nice to have - but very very nice to have.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Watch the swap meet, I might have one barely use dodger for sale if the insurance folks total the boat. Will pull the mounts off tomorrow.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2012 :  15:28:43  Show Profile
Be careful what you wish for . . . . dodgers on our sized boats are really quite useless unless you do plenty of ocean/coastal sailing and even then the con's may out number the pro's. My boat had one and it was the first item I removed -- except the snaps which are a constant reminder and number one source for cuts.

Dodgers are great if you need to protect the companionway or your helm/tiller is close enough so it affords protection. On our boats they too often prove to be more show than go.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2012 :  17:42:02  Show Profile
I tend to agree with Peter, More of a forward view obstruction than any protection. I think a Bimini is more useful.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2012 :  22:16:36  Show Profile
So not a collapsible pilot house, then. I don't mind getting wet while sailing, but want out of the weather on calm rainy days. So I'll keep dreaming of remote steering and outboard controls from within the cabin.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2012 :  06:48:56  Show Profile
I seriously considered having a detachable windshield made for my bimini, effectively converting it into an extended-top dodger that would look something like this:

...from <i>For Whom the Bells Toil</i> in the Tech Tips section.

This way I could have had it both ways. I also planned on two vertical zippers in front, aligned with the sides of the pop-top, so the center section could be flipped back and dodger could remain in place with the top up. This one appears to have something like that.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/24/2012 06:49:47
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2012 :  08:39:53  Show Profile
My new boat has a dodger and I have to disagree with it being useless. It doesn't protect me that much at the helm (the cockpit on my new boat is slightly bigger than a C-25 cockpit and has a wheel), but it makes it a lot warmer for crew and makes it a lot nicer to be on the boat when it is raining. The dodger is large enough to keep all rain out of the companionway so I can leave the hatchboards out and the companionway wide open and not worry about rain getting in.

If I were designing a dodger I would be picky about the height of it. My boat's dodger is right at my eye level, so I often stand on the transom seat when steering in the marina (moving the wheel with my feet). I couldn't have done that on a C-25 since it has a transom mounted traveler, but my Pearson has a companionway mounted one. The C-25 tall mast that I owned had a low boom and that probably wouldn't leave too many options for the shape of the dodger.

This is what my new boat looks like and gives you a good view of the dodger:

Edited by - awetmore on 11/24/2012 08:40:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page